Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Wrong aquarium bulbs burn man's eyes
1:00pm Tuesday 10th September 2013 in News
An aquarium owner burned the corneas of his eyes after fitting a bulb designed for outdoor use in a tank inside – without reading the instructions.
The danger of not reading instruction leaflets has been highlighted after the man living near Haywards Heath found that his eyes were starting to hurt.
He had bought what he thought was the right replacement ultraviolet bulb for his aquarium, but it was actually much stronger.
The incident was investigated by West Sussex Trading Standards after the fish fan was told by doctors he had burned the corneas of his eyes due to excessive UV rays from the bulb. Fortunately the damage was not permanent.
The stronger lamp was actually meant for the filter system of an outdoor pond.
There were clear instructions with the lamp on how to use it, but the fish owner simply had not read them.
Lionel Barnard, West Sussex County Council Cabinet member who oversees Trading Standards, said: “Unfortunately the bulb fitted perfectly into the aquarium lamp socket and later in the day the owner noticed some of the fish in the tank were dying.
“Many people don’t like reading instructions and safety warnings, but it’s always a good idea – and one that can prevent injury or even death.”
Trading Standards staff are writing to aquatic centres alerting them to the incident and urging them as a matter of good practice to ensure that pond filter UV lights are not displayed next to low wattage aquarium UV lights.
Comments are closed on this article.