Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Shakedown refuses Stanmer Park Tea Rooms compensation after hostile petition
Brighton's Shakedown music festival has pulled its offer of compensation for a cafe after they campaigned against the staging of the event.
The Stanmer Park Tea Rooms claim they are set to lose “several thousand pounds” over the Shakedown Festival weekend (September 28) with the site largely closed off to the public.
They have received compensation in the previous two years of the event – but this year will get nothing.
Cafe owner, Paul West, claims the decision is down to them displaying a petition against the event in their window.
However, Shakedown bosses said it was a “financial issue” with their future uncertain.
The event has been held for the last two years in Brighton’s Stanmer Park. But following a public petition the council has refused their licence for next year – leaving them without a home.
Despite attracting thousands of youngsters, the festival has come in for criticism due to the state of the nature reserve following the event.
A petition was put together which Mr West displayed in his tea rooms. He said: “We’re not against music festivals we just don’t think Stanmer Park is the right place.
“It’s a nature reserve and somewhere for families. Last year the place was a mess. There were needles everywhere and even a stabbing.”
He added: “We not only suffer on the day of the event but also the days before and after when they are setting up and clearing away.
“We have lost and are set to again lose several thousand pounds over the period.”
For the first year of the event organisers paid Mr West £300 compensation and £700 the second.
Festival bosses had vowed to pay close to £1,000 this year but have since withdrawn their offer.
Resident Jenny Lyon, who is behind the petition, said: “To promise and then withdraw the offer is very poor.
“It’s very petty, that kind of money is peanuts to them.”
However, festival promoter Matt Priest, said they were not in a position to pay out due to their “uncertain future”.
He added: “It’s a financial matter, there are no hard feelings on our part.
"It’s because of the petition we are not going to be back, which they displayed in their window. So there is an indirect link I suppose, but there’s no grudge.”
Mr West added: “The amount they were offering was nowhere near what we are set to lose but it was something.
“It’s very disappointing.”
Shakedown will be held on Saturday (September 28) with Rizzle Kicks, Labyrinth and Sub Focus among those performing.
Comments are closed on this article.