Electrical fire safety warning for Sussex residents affected by flooding

The Argus: Electrical fire safety warning for Sussex residents affected by flooding Electrical fire safety warning for Sussex residents affected by flooding

Fire crews are urging people affected by flooding to take extra care cleaning up near electircity.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service reported a number of incidents in the last two days where firefighters were called to properties where flood water was affecting electrics.

It is highlighting advice from the charity the Electrical Safety Council.

Do:

  • Make sure the property is safe before you enter
  • Try to avoid direct contact with any flood water which remains, as it may be contaminated
  • Be prepared, have a torch at hand when entering the property and do not use candles
  • Switch off the electricity supply at the fuse box, if it is safe to do so
  • Arrange for other services, such as gas, to be turned off. The electricity and gas supplies should remain off until you are sure it is safe to turn them back on
  • Contact your insurance company and, if applicable, your landlord, to tell them what has happened and to get advice and take instruction.

Don’t:

  • Attempt any electrical repairs or connection of temporary supplies yourself - always use a registered electrician
  • Use candles to guide you when entering the property
  • Use any mains powered electrical appliances in the areas affected by the flood until advised that it is safe to do so •
  • Go near any exposed wiring, as it may still be live
  • Start to clean up or undertake repairs until you are sure it is safe to do so

MORE:


 

 

Comments (4)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:10pm Sun 29 Dec 13

twonk says...

Take care when clearning? Good advice.
Take care when clearning? Good advice. twonk

4:18pm Sun 29 Dec 13

Sussex jim says...

This is a serious comment.
Do NOT connect a generator to your household fusebox, or any other part of your wiring, unless you have isolated your incoming supply.
In the aftermath of the storm of 1987 a power worker was killed when working on a cable he had isolated from the public supply, but was "live" from a private generator.
Even a small battery run inverter will place 240 volts on the line.
So, run your generator and plug into it; but if you connect to your general house wiring use an isolating switch or break the seal and pull out the main fuse. (illegal;but safe)
This is a serious comment. Do NOT connect a generator to your household fusebox, or any other part of your wiring, unless you have isolated your incoming supply. In the aftermath of the storm of 1987 a power worker was killed when working on a cable he had isolated from the public supply, but was "live" from a private generator. Even a small battery run inverter will place 240 volts on the line. So, run your generator and plug into it; but if you connect to your general house wiring use an isolating switch or break the seal and pull out the main fuse. (illegal;but safe) Sussex jim

10:08pm Sun 29 Dec 13

Brighton Living says...

Sussex jim wrote:
This is a serious comment.
Do NOT connect a generator to your household fusebox, or any other part of your wiring, unless you have isolated your incoming supply.
In the aftermath of the storm of 1987 a power worker was killed when working on a cable he had isolated from the public supply, but was "live" from a private generator.
Even a small battery run inverter will place 240 volts on the line.
So, run your generator and plug into it; but if you connect to your general house wiring use an isolating switch or break the seal and pull out the main fuse. (illegal;but safe)
Power worker not carryout safe isolation as stated in the BS 7671 !!!!! .

If you need to pull out the main fuse 'NOT THAT YOU SHOULD' ensure you stand on wood or plastic flooring ' Isolator' and use rubber glove and a bit of wood as you don't want to touch the fuse as it will use you as a conductor and ground you out, meaning it will pass 230v - 240v through you and kill you hence why it is illegal and you should ask your power supply company to turn it off as it will go back to 400v then on to a 11kva transformer.

It only takes 50hz to stop the heart from beating so DONT TOUCH WHAT YOU DONT KNOW THE DANGERS OF.
[quote][p][bold]Sussex jim[/bold] wrote: This is a serious comment. Do NOT connect a generator to your household fusebox, or any other part of your wiring, unless you have isolated your incoming supply. In the aftermath of the storm of 1987 a power worker was killed when working on a cable he had isolated from the public supply, but was "live" from a private generator. Even a small battery run inverter will place 240 volts on the line. So, run your generator and plug into it; but if you connect to your general house wiring use an isolating switch or break the seal and pull out the main fuse. (illegal;but safe)[/p][/quote]Power worker not carryout safe isolation as stated in the BS 7671 !!!!! . If you need to pull out the main fuse 'NOT THAT YOU SHOULD' ensure you stand on wood or plastic flooring ' Isolator' and use rubber glove and a bit of wood as you don't want to touch the fuse as it will use you as a conductor and ground you out, meaning it will pass 230v - 240v through you and kill you hence why it is illegal and you should ask your power supply company to turn it off as it will go back to 400v then on to a 11kva transformer. It only takes 50hz to stop the heart from beating so DONT TOUCH WHAT YOU DONT KNOW THE DANGERS OF. Brighton Living

10:25pm Sun 29 Dec 13

whoee! says...

That would be absolute classic to plug yourself into the mains lol
That would be absolute classic to plug yourself into the mains lol whoee!

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree