Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Syrian expert believes man posing in new video is suspected Crawley suicide bomber
A new video appears to show a suspected suicide bomber posing for pictures in front of the truck that was blown up after being driven into a Syrian prison.
The video, thought to show Abdul Waheed Majeed from Crawley, was released on YouTube yesterday.
Last week a truck full of explosives was detonated at the prison in Aleppo.
The 46-minute clip also appeared on the website of Usudu Sham, understood to mean “Purposeful Syria”, whose members are thought to have posted it on YouTube.
Text in Russian accompanying the video said: “In this video we present you were sealed with the last moments of the operation (2.6.14) for the liberation of Muslims.”
Shiraz Maher, a senior fellow at ICSR in King’s College London, who is researching Syria and Islamic groups, believes the man in the video to be Mr Majeed.
He said: “It’s very common for videos such as these to be released, but this doesn’t look like a proper video, I would still be expecting a full statement.
“He looks quite nervous in the video to me.
“It matches some of the things we had been told before like that he was wearing all white.”
The Usudu Sham website said “thousands of Muslim prisoners, including hundreds of nurses, as well as children, the elderly, the Islamic scholars” are held at Aleppo Central Prison in “appalling conditions”.
The video emerged the same day as pictures he sent from Syria to his family showing him looking relaxed and smiling with local children.
Tensions have been running high among the Islamic community in Crawley while the South East Counter Terrorism Unit (SECTU) continued to search houses in town.
Officers from SECTU searched Mr Majeed’s house in Martyrs Avenue on Wednesday and three more houses on Thursday in St Joan Road, Langley Drive and Punchcopse Road.
There have been no arrests and no further house searches in the town.
Sussex Police district commander, Chief Inspector Justina Beeken said: “Officers from SECTU need to establish whether the believed deceased had become involved in the conflict in Syria and his identity has still not been confirmed.
“We need to help the Muslim community understand that we are trying to ensure the desire to help in Syria is not exploited and that help given does not actually exacerbate the conflict.
“People can become more vulnerable when away from home.
“The Foreign and Commonwealth Office advice is that the whole of Syria is unsafe and people should not travel there.”
Arif Syed, 59, an Islamic community leader in Crawley branded the “unnecessary” searches of homes in the town a “witch hunt”.
Comments are closed on this article.