Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
East Sussex fire boss criticised for offering no alternative to cuts
8:26am Monday 24th February 2014 in News
A chief fire officer has been criticised for offering no alternatives to cutting firefighter
jobs and fire engines.
Union officials say East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service’s chief fire officer Des Prichard
has admitted he has no Plan B.
Last week the fire authority agreed to consult the public on proposals to cut up to 80 jobs
across the county while also putting stations in Mayfield, Forest Row and Herstmonceux
at risk of closure.
The fire authority is currently consulting the public over the proposals, which firefighters
say could cost lives. A final decision will be made at an authority meeting in June.
Simon Herbert, Fire Brigades Union chairman for East Sussex, said: “I’m amazed that Mr
Prichard has been unable to offer any alternatives to cutting appliances and firefighter numbers
and is now asking the public to do his job for him.
“I would expect a reduction in the number of fire engines or station downgrades or closures
to be the last place he would look to make savings.”
East Sussex Fire Brigades Union secretary, Mark Brown said: “These cuts will put lives
“Even the fire service’s own statistics show that lives will be lost if these badly-thought-out
cuts go ahead.
“The service is putting savings ahead of public and firefighter safety.”
To take part in the consultationvisit www.esfrs.org/publicconsultation.
Comments are closed on this article.