Update: Lights back on in Preston Circus

Update: Lights back on in Preston Circus (Pic: Mike Penwolf)

Update: Lights back on in Preston Circus (Pic: Mike Penwolf)

First published in News
Last updated
by , Crime reporter

A fire at a substation led to a blackout across an area of Brighton. The Preston Circus area of the city was in darkness from around 6.30pm yesterday until 8.40am today.

Initially 669 homes were plunged into darkness, although power has now been restored. It is understood the Duke of York’s cinema was also affected.

Traffic lights were also off.

One firefighter, speaking this morning, said people were "taking their lives in their hands" trying to navigate traffic lights which have gone out.

"It was really strange overnight," he said.

"All the street lights were out and it looked odd."

Another driver said: "It was really frightening."

The blackout was caused by a fire at a substation in Preston Circus.

Sussex Police said they first received a call at 6.40pm last night, reporting that UK Power Networks had said the lights were out.

This morning at 7.10am UK Power Networks confirmed to the police they had been working through the night.

Sussex Police said they had received a "series of calls" about the lights.

The delay between power being restored and traffic lights coming back on was because UK Power Networks and Brighton and Hove City Council need to "sync" them.

A UK Power Network statement said: "UK Power Networks engineers worked through the night and into the early hours of today in order to restore power supplies to customers in the Preston Circus area affected by a fault that occurred on the electricity distribution network yesterday evening.

"Some customers experienced brief interruptions while the engineers reconfigured the network but supplies to the final group of customers were restored at 6.20am.

"Again we apologise for the inconvenience caused by this incident."

If it is safe send your power chaos pictures and stories to anna.roberts@theargus.co.uk

Comments (18)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:00am Fri 7 Mar 14

rogerthefish says...

This started on wednesday afternoon. typical argus reporting history.
This started on wednesday afternoon. typical argus reporting history. rogerthefish
  • Score: 1

8:06am Fri 7 Mar 14

Brightonlad86 says...

rogerthefish wrote:
This started on wednesday afternoon. typical argus reporting history.
Well you can hardly report on the future, can you?
[quote][p][bold]rogerthefish[/bold] wrote: This started on wednesday afternoon. typical argus reporting history.[/p][/quote]Well you can hardly report on the future, can you? Brightonlad86
  • Score: 6

8:33am Fri 7 Mar 14

Jamesthegill says...

Plunged into darknedd? Poor Ned!
Plunged into darknedd? Poor Ned! Jamesthegill
  • Score: 4

8:38am Fri 7 Mar 14

RottingdeanRant says...

Strange - normally when the traffic lights fail the the traffic flows better!
Strange - normally when the traffic lights fail the the traffic flows better! RottingdeanRant
  • Score: 18

8:39am Fri 7 Mar 14

straightasadye says...

Preston Circus area was plunged into darknedd.
Is that some sort of alcohol?
Preston Circus area was plunged into darknedd. Is that some sort of alcohol? straightasadye
  • Score: 8

8:48am Fri 7 Mar 14

winewomenandsong says...

straightasadye wrote:
Preston Circus area was plunged into darknedd.
Is that some sort of alcohol?
Never seen it on the shelf in my pub.
Egghead BLACKROCKER will I'm sure put you in the picture!
[quote][p][bold]straightasadye[/bold] wrote: Preston Circus area was plunged into darknedd. Is that some sort of alcohol?[/p][/quote]Never seen it on the shelf in my pub. Egghead BLACKROCKER will I'm sure put you in the picture! winewomenandsong
  • Score: 6

8:50am Fri 7 Mar 14

kopite_rob says...

Why are people taking their "lives in their hands"?

3 Principles
-Obey the speed limit
-Drive to the conditions of the road
-If traffic lights are out treat it as an unmarked junction and proceed with caution Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 36 HC176

Not so hard is it?
Why are people taking their "lives in their hands"? 3 Principles -Obey the speed limit -Drive to the conditions of the road -If traffic lights are out treat it as an unmarked junction and proceed with caution Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 36 HC176 Not so hard is it? kopite_rob
  • Score: 10

9:06am Fri 7 Mar 14

FatherTed11 says...

kopite_rob wrote:
Why are people taking their "lives in their hands"?

3 Principles
-Obey the speed limit
-Drive to the conditions of the road
-If traffic lights are out treat it as an unmarked junction and proceed with caution Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 36 HC176

Not so hard is it?
Or just ask a cyclist what would they do when they get to a set of traffic lights.
[quote][p][bold]kopite_rob[/bold] wrote: Why are people taking their "lives in their hands"? 3 Principles -Obey the speed limit -Drive to the conditions of the road -If traffic lights are out treat it as an unmarked junction and proceed with caution Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 36 HC176 Not so hard is it?[/p][/quote]Or just ask a cyclist what would they do when they get to a set of traffic lights. FatherTed11
  • Score: 11

9:18am Fri 7 Mar 14

cynic_the says...

Traffic Lights broken?

Let me guess, did they all appear to be Green, but turn out to be Red?
Traffic Lights broken? Let me guess, did they all appear to be Green, but turn out to be Red? cynic_the
  • Score: 6

9:55am Fri 7 Mar 14

posthuman says...

Another driver said: "It was really frightening."

What's frightening about interacting with other fellow road users, instead of being navigated by an antiquated system that hinders traffic flow and creates more pollution and stress. More experiments should taken to whether traffic lights are worth the trouble they cause!?
Another driver said: "It was really frightening." What's frightening about interacting with other fellow road users, instead of being navigated by an antiquated system that hinders traffic flow and creates more pollution and stress. More experiments should taken to whether traffic lights are worth the trouble they cause!? posthuman
  • Score: 7

11:02am Fri 7 Mar 14

Patsyr says...

posthuman wrote:
Another driver said: "It was really frightening."

What's frightening about interacting with other fellow road users, instead of being navigated by an antiquated system that hinders traffic flow and creates more pollution and stress. More experiments should taken to whether traffic lights are worth the trouble they cause!?
It wasn't frightening at all - and no queues at 8.20 this morning which Is highly unusual. Traffic was flowing well and I saw no accidents or even any near misses. All was good.

Do we need traffic lights at all?
[quote][p][bold]posthuman[/bold] wrote: Another driver said: "It was really frightening." What's frightening about interacting with other fellow road users, instead of being navigated by an antiquated system that hinders traffic flow and creates more pollution and stress. More experiments should taken to whether traffic lights are worth the trouble they cause!?[/p][/quote]It wasn't frightening at all - and no queues at 8.20 this morning which Is highly unusual. Traffic was flowing well and I saw no accidents or even any near misses. All was good. Do we need traffic lights at all? Patsyr
  • Score: 16

11:12am Fri 7 Mar 14

Big Fido says...

Blimey, nobody has blamed the Greens yet!
Blimey, nobody has blamed the Greens yet! Big Fido
  • Score: 5

11:43am Fri 7 Mar 14

tom servo says...

Big Fido wrote:
Blimey, nobody has blamed the Greens yet!
I blame the greens.
[quote][p][bold]Big Fido[/bold] wrote: Blimey, nobody has blamed the Greens yet![/p][/quote]I blame the greens. tom servo
  • Score: 13

12:09pm Fri 7 Mar 14

Fight_Back says...

Patsyr wrote:
posthuman wrote:
Another driver said: "It was really frightening."

What's frightening about interacting with other fellow road users, instead of being navigated by an antiquated system that hinders traffic flow and creates more pollution and stress. More experiments should taken to whether traffic lights are worth the trouble they cause!?
It wasn't frightening at all - and no queues at 8.20 this morning which Is highly unusual. Traffic was flowing well and I saw no accidents or even any near misses. All was good.

Do we need traffic lights at all?
Agreed. New England Road and the turning into the New England Quarter worked a treat this morning. Usually traffic is piled up well past the viaduct.

Those lights do nothing but hinder the flow of traffic and increase pollution. The junction would be much better with a roundabout. Of course it was better that the council slowed down traffic further up the hill at Seven Dials than help improve air quality in one of the most polluted areas in the city !

Here's a suggestion to the Greens - if you get traffic flowing ( rather than constantly slowing it down ) you'll improve air quality across the city.
[quote][p][bold]Patsyr[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]posthuman[/bold] wrote: Another driver said: "It was really frightening." What's frightening about interacting with other fellow road users, instead of being navigated by an antiquated system that hinders traffic flow and creates more pollution and stress. More experiments should taken to whether traffic lights are worth the trouble they cause!?[/p][/quote]It wasn't frightening at all - and no queues at 8.20 this morning which Is highly unusual. Traffic was flowing well and I saw no accidents or even any near misses. All was good. Do we need traffic lights at all?[/p][/quote]Agreed. New England Road and the turning into the New England Quarter worked a treat this morning. Usually traffic is piled up well past the viaduct. Those lights do nothing but hinder the flow of traffic and increase pollution. The junction would be much better with a roundabout. Of course it was better that the council slowed down traffic further up the hill at Seven Dials than help improve air quality in one of the most polluted areas in the city ! Here's a suggestion to the Greens - if you get traffic flowing ( rather than constantly slowing it down ) you'll improve air quality across the city. Fight_Back
  • Score: 8

12:28pm Fri 7 Mar 14

billy goat-gruff says...

Most drivers are too selfish to regulate themselves at junctions, there is already gridlock on busy summer days by their not recognising box junctions (the idea is to let others through when the lights are against you, not sit there blocking the road).
Most drivers are too selfish to regulate themselves at junctions, there is already gridlock on busy summer days by their not recognising box junctions (the idea is to let others through when the lights are against you, not sit there blocking the road). billy goat-gruff
  • Score: 4

12:31pm Fri 7 Mar 14

Tippy Toes says...

Fight_Back wrote:
Patsyr wrote:
posthuman wrote:
Another driver said: "It was really frightening."

What's frightening about interacting with other fellow road users, instead of being navigated by an antiquated system that hinders traffic flow and creates more pollution and stress. More experiments should taken to whether traffic lights are worth the trouble they cause!?
It wasn't frightening at all - and no queues at 8.20 this morning which Is highly unusual. Traffic was flowing well and I saw no accidents or even any near misses. All was good.

Do we need traffic lights at all?
Agreed. New England Road and the turning into the New England Quarter worked a treat this morning. Usually traffic is piled up well past the viaduct.

Those lights do nothing but hinder the flow of traffic and increase pollution. The junction would be much better with a roundabout. Of course it was better that the council slowed down traffic further up the hill at Seven Dials than help improve air quality in one of the most polluted areas in the city !

Here's a suggestion to the Greens - if you get traffic flowing ( rather than constantly slowing it down ) you'll improve air quality across the city.
Agreed - it was the best I had ever seen it. No traffic jams at all. Shame it's not like that everyday!
[quote][p][bold]Fight_Back[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Patsyr[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]posthuman[/bold] wrote: Another driver said: "It was really frightening." What's frightening about interacting with other fellow road users, instead of being navigated by an antiquated system that hinders traffic flow and creates more pollution and stress. More experiments should taken to whether traffic lights are worth the trouble they cause!?[/p][/quote]It wasn't frightening at all - and no queues at 8.20 this morning which Is highly unusual. Traffic was flowing well and I saw no accidents or even any near misses. All was good. Do we need traffic lights at all?[/p][/quote]Agreed. New England Road and the turning into the New England Quarter worked a treat this morning. Usually traffic is piled up well past the viaduct. Those lights do nothing but hinder the flow of traffic and increase pollution. The junction would be much better with a roundabout. Of course it was better that the council slowed down traffic further up the hill at Seven Dials than help improve air quality in one of the most polluted areas in the city ! Here's a suggestion to the Greens - if you get traffic flowing ( rather than constantly slowing it down ) you'll improve air quality across the city.[/p][/quote]Agreed - it was the best I had ever seen it. No traffic jams at all. Shame it's not like that everyday! Tippy Toes
  • Score: 5

3:43pm Fri 7 Mar 14

her professional says...

Fight_Back wrote:
Patsyr wrote:
posthuman wrote:
Another driver said: "It was really frightening."

What's frightening about interacting with other fellow road users, instead of being navigated by an antiquated system that hinders traffic flow and creates more pollution and stress. More experiments should taken to whether traffic lights are worth the trouble they cause!?
It wasn't frightening at all - and no queues at 8.20 this morning which Is highly unusual. Traffic was flowing well and I saw no accidents or even any near misses. All was good.

Do we need traffic lights at all?
Agreed. New England Road and the turning into the New England Quarter worked a treat this morning. Usually traffic is piled up well past the viaduct.

Those lights do nothing but hinder the flow of traffic and increase pollution. The junction would be much better with a roundabout. Of course it was better that the council slowed down traffic further up the hill at Seven Dials than help improve air quality in one of the most polluted areas in the city !

Here's a suggestion to the Greens - if you get traffic flowing ( rather than constantly slowing it down ) you'll improve air quality across the city.
There is just the small matter of pedestrians trying to cross, there's a lot of residents around there (as at the Dials) who have as much right as motorists to get around.
[quote][p][bold]Fight_Back[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Patsyr[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]posthuman[/bold] wrote: Another driver said: "It was really frightening." What's frightening about interacting with other fellow road users, instead of being navigated by an antiquated system that hinders traffic flow and creates more pollution and stress. More experiments should taken to whether traffic lights are worth the trouble they cause!?[/p][/quote]It wasn't frightening at all - and no queues at 8.20 this morning which Is highly unusual. Traffic was flowing well and I saw no accidents or even any near misses. All was good. Do we need traffic lights at all?[/p][/quote]Agreed. New England Road and the turning into the New England Quarter worked a treat this morning. Usually traffic is piled up well past the viaduct. Those lights do nothing but hinder the flow of traffic and increase pollution. The junction would be much better with a roundabout. Of course it was better that the council slowed down traffic further up the hill at Seven Dials than help improve air quality in one of the most polluted areas in the city ! Here's a suggestion to the Greens - if you get traffic flowing ( rather than constantly slowing it down ) you'll improve air quality across the city.[/p][/quote]There is just the small matter of pedestrians trying to cross, there's a lot of residents around there (as at the Dials) who have as much right as motorists to get around. her professional
  • Score: 4

5:52pm Sat 8 Mar 14

Roundbill says...

It's interesting that, until the previous comment, not a single one of you thought of anyone other than car drivers and one miscreant cyclist (slow hand clap, FatherTed11)
I guess this is what Mister Kitcat thinks he can reprogramme out of us, the crazy dreamer! Don't you just love the old goon?
It's interesting that, until the previous comment, not a single one of you thought of anyone other than car drivers and one miscreant cyclist (slow hand clap, FatherTed11) I guess this is what Mister Kitcat thinks he can reprogramme out of us, the crazy dreamer! Don't you just love the old goon? Roundbill
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree