Brighton Pavilion MP slams fracking and says protests like Balcombe will continue

Exclusive: Caroline Lucas opens up about fracking

Exclusive: Caroline Lucas opens up about fracking

First published in News

As an MP, I’m in the privileged position of being able to make the case against fracking in Parliament.

I’ve tabled motions, championed debates, and put questions to the Prime Minister – and will continue to do so.

But the Government is ignoring the evidence, and is set on a reckless and irresponsible new dash for gas, offering the fossil fuel companies generous tax breaks as well as senior roles within Government itself.

Balcombe, in a Sussex area of natural beauty, was one of the first places in the UK to be earmarked as a potential fracking site.

Yet fracking will accelerate climate change, pollute our environment and lock us into yet more dependence on fossil fuels at precisely the time when we need to be moving in the opposite direction.

That’s why I, and many others, took part in peaceful protests outside the Cuadrilla site in August last year.

My acquittal and that of the four other co- defendants on Friday is a huge relief, but it is by no means a cause for celebration.

That will only happen when David Cameron announces an end to fracking, as has been achieved in other countries like France, and will put investment instead into cleaner, greener energy sources.

The case at Brighton Magistrates’ Court raised questions not just about fracking, but about police tactics too.

I appreciate the hugely difficult job the police have to do, and the challenges in facilitating peaceful protest, and often Sussex Police get the balance absolutely right.

However, on August 19, the day of our arrest, the police leadership clearly got it wrong.

In delivering his verdict, the judge said that the conditions imposed on people at the Balcombe protest on that day were unlawful, since the senior police officer was not authorised to issue the conditions, and they were so vague and unclear as to be meaningless.

Moreover, the policing seemed arbitrary and disproportionate.

The fact that, during the summer protests at Balcombe, of around 126 people arrested, and 114 charged, there have been only around 27 convictions, suggests that many of the arrests were unnecessary, and many cases should quite simply not have come to court at all.

There is no evidence that they were in the public interest, and a huge amount of money and resources were wasted, when both are in short supply.

The campaign against fracking will continue until the Government finally listens.

Comments (23)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:44am Mon 21 Apr 14

Maxwell's Ghost says...

Stuff fracking Caroline. You should try and explain why Brighton and Hove Council's recycling lorry has turned up on a Bank Holiday Monday to collect recycling when no one has out it out because they have never, ever turned up on a Bank Holiday.
What pay are they receiving on a Bank Holiday when the council claims it struggles with budget and can you tell me the recycling rate for the city of carrying out this operation when people don't expect them to turn up. No wonder the city has the lowest levels of recycling since 2007 and the lowest levels in the UK. Hopeless.
I have two boxes full of recycling which will now go into the bin and to be honest I'm not going to bother washing and sorting waste anymore it will all go in the bin weekly as your council is hopeless.
Caroline can you answer questions about the city you represent instead of getting into protests which are not in your constituency.
Stuff fracking Caroline. You should try and explain why Brighton and Hove Council's recycling lorry has turned up on a Bank Holiday Monday to collect recycling when no one has out it out because they have never, ever turned up on a Bank Holiday. What pay are they receiving on a Bank Holiday when the council claims it struggles with budget and can you tell me the recycling rate for the city of carrying out this operation when people don't expect them to turn up. No wonder the city has the lowest levels of recycling since 2007 and the lowest levels in the UK. Hopeless. I have two boxes full of recycling which will now go into the bin and to be honest I'm not going to bother washing and sorting waste anymore it will all go in the bin weekly as your council is hopeless. Caroline can you answer questions about the city you represent instead of getting into protests which are not in your constituency. Maxwell's Ghost
  • Score: 19

10:11am Mon 21 Apr 14

hursthill says...

At least in this instance Lucas is supporting peaceful protest.
It makes a change from when she supported violent protests by smashedo.
At least in this instance Lucas is supporting peaceful protest. It makes a change from when she supported violent protests by smashedo. hursthill
  • Score: 11

10:18am Mon 21 Apr 14

cookie_brighton says...

Maxwell's Ghost wrote:
Stuff fracking Caroline. You should try and explain why Brighton and Hove Council's recycling lorry has turned up on a Bank Holiday Monday to collect recycling when no one has out it out because they have never, ever turned up on a Bank Holiday.
What pay are they receiving on a Bank Holiday when the council claims it struggles with budget and can you tell me the recycling rate for the city of carrying out this operation when people don't expect them to turn up. No wonder the city has the lowest levels of recycling since 2007 and the lowest levels in the UK. Hopeless.
I have two boxes full of recycling which will now go into the bin and to be honest I'm not going to bother washing and sorting waste anymore it will all go in the bin weekly as your council is hopeless.
Caroline can you answer questions about the city you represent instead of getting into protests which are not in your constituency.
maxwell.........agre
e...I got up at 6.45 am whilst making a cup of tea I noticed 2 council refuse lorries outside my home...one emptying the communal refuse bins and the other one, which looked like a skip on the back of a lorry was collecting the recycling........thi
s job will be on a job and finish meaning once they get around their round, they can go home, they will be paid double time for this and receive a day in leu holiday.............
also I cannot phone in to let the council know my views....as it is a bank holiday, no-one in the offices are working, so now we have to wait until the next collection..I noticed over xmas that the refuse lorry was putting in both refuse and recycling into the same vehicle.......when in rome :)
[quote][p][bold]Maxwell's Ghost[/bold] wrote: Stuff fracking Caroline. You should try and explain why Brighton and Hove Council's recycling lorry has turned up on a Bank Holiday Monday to collect recycling when no one has out it out because they have never, ever turned up on a Bank Holiday. What pay are they receiving on a Bank Holiday when the council claims it struggles with budget and can you tell me the recycling rate for the city of carrying out this operation when people don't expect them to turn up. No wonder the city has the lowest levels of recycling since 2007 and the lowest levels in the UK. Hopeless. I have two boxes full of recycling which will now go into the bin and to be honest I'm not going to bother washing and sorting waste anymore it will all go in the bin weekly as your council is hopeless. Caroline can you answer questions about the city you represent instead of getting into protests which are not in your constituency.[/p][/quote]maxwell.........agre e...I got up at 6.45 am whilst making a cup of tea I noticed 2 council refuse lorries outside my home...one emptying the communal refuse bins and the other one, which looked like a skip on the back of a lorry was collecting the recycling........thi s job will be on a job and finish meaning once they get around their round, they can go home, they will be paid double time for this and receive a day in leu holiday............. also I cannot phone in to let the council know my views....as it is a bank holiday, no-one in the offices are working, so now we have to wait until the next collection..I noticed over xmas that the refuse lorry was putting in both refuse and recycling into the same vehicle.......when in rome :) cookie_brighton
  • Score: 11

10:35am Mon 21 Apr 14

brightonaire says...

Caroline, you quote France as an example of countries that are opposed to fracking yet you fail to take account of their nuclear power station and the threat not just to France but the whole of Europe, particularly us as we are sited opposite 4 plants on the other side of the channel.
In 2012, France's Nuclear Safety Authority (the ASN) released a report announcing a sweeping safety upgrade to all the country's reactors. The ASN's report states plainly that a loss of coolant or electricity could, in the worst cases, see meltdowns at nuclear reactors in hours. It also lists many shortcomings found during 'stress tests', in which some safety aspects of plants were found not to meet existing standards.
I suggest you divert your attentions to these very real threats to the environment.
Caroline, you quote France as an example of countries that are opposed to fracking yet you fail to take account of their nuclear power station and the threat not just to France but the whole of Europe, particularly us as we are sited opposite 4 plants on the other side of the channel. In 2012, France's Nuclear Safety Authority (the ASN) released a report announcing a sweeping safety upgrade to all the country's reactors. The ASN's report states plainly that a loss of coolant or electricity could, in the worst cases, see meltdowns at nuclear reactors in hours. It also lists many shortcomings found during 'stress tests', in which some safety aspects of plants were found not to meet existing standards. I suggest you divert your attentions to these very real threats to the environment. brightonaire
  • Score: 15

10:35am Mon 21 Apr 14

Martha Gunn says...

Would the Luddite please get my rubbish and re-cycling collected?
Would the Luddite please get my rubbish and re-cycling collected? Martha Gunn
  • Score: 11

10:43am Mon 21 Apr 14

Can this be says...

Maxwell's Ghost wrote:
Stuff fracking Caroline. You should try and explain why Brighton and Hove Council's recycling lorry has turned up on a Bank Holiday Monday to collect recycling when no one has out it out because they have never, ever turned up on a Bank Holiday.
What pay are they receiving on a Bank Holiday when the council claims it struggles with budget and can you tell me the recycling rate for the city of carrying out this operation when people don't expect them to turn up. No wonder the city has the lowest levels of recycling since 2007 and the lowest levels in the UK. Hopeless.
I have two boxes full of recycling which will now go into the bin and to be honest I'm not going to bother washing and sorting waste anymore it will all go in the bin weekly as your council is hopeless.
Caroline can you answer questions about the city you represent instead of getting into protests which are not in your constituency.
I am no great supporter of our local Council, but they circulated a leaflet in September last year stating "We're now collecting on all bank holidays, except Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day". As with everything they put out it was not exactly 100% clear as it stated our refuse collection day was every Tuesday, but their note went on to say "Your refuse will be collected on Mondays throughout the year, apart from following Christmas and New Year ...". A later letter in November moved our day to Mondays, so perhaps they were ahead of their own game. The refuse has been collected this morning - Bank Holiday Monday.

Our recycling is on the now standard day of every other Thursday, being collected at 07:35 last week. A warning to those who do not obey the instruction of getting their recycling or wheelie bin out by 6 am.
[quote][p][bold]Maxwell's Ghost[/bold] wrote: Stuff fracking Caroline. You should try and explain why Brighton and Hove Council's recycling lorry has turned up on a Bank Holiday Monday to collect recycling when no one has out it out because they have never, ever turned up on a Bank Holiday. What pay are they receiving on a Bank Holiday when the council claims it struggles with budget and can you tell me the recycling rate for the city of carrying out this operation when people don't expect them to turn up. No wonder the city has the lowest levels of recycling since 2007 and the lowest levels in the UK. Hopeless. I have two boxes full of recycling which will now go into the bin and to be honest I'm not going to bother washing and sorting waste anymore it will all go in the bin weekly as your council is hopeless. Caroline can you answer questions about the city you represent instead of getting into protests which are not in your constituency.[/p][/quote]I am no great supporter of our local Council, but they circulated a leaflet in September last year stating "We're now collecting on all bank holidays, except Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day". As with everything they put out it was not exactly 100% clear as it stated our refuse collection day was every Tuesday, but their note went on to say "Your refuse will be collected on Mondays throughout the year, apart from following Christmas and New Year ...". A later letter in November moved our day to Mondays, so perhaps they were ahead of their own game. The refuse has been collected this morning - Bank Holiday Monday. Our recycling is on the now standard day of every other Thursday, being collected at 07:35 last week. A warning to those who do not obey the instruction of getting their recycling or wheelie bin out by 6 am. Can this be
  • Score: 7

10:44am Mon 21 Apr 14

brightonaire says...

And while we're on the subject are you aware that around eight of the world's largest supertankers are belching out more co2 and sulphur pollution into the atmosphere than all of the worlds traffic exhausts combined mostly because these ships are unregulated because they're registered in the Panamas.
Why don't you jump onto that bandwagon and do something about that?.... or are there not enough votes to be garnished from such a campaign?.... you're a hypocrite.. you're not that concerned about the environment at all... just maintaining your current position as an MPin the Houses of Parliament... and making yourself look ridiculous with your protest about page 3 girls..... Well I've got something to tell you from the real world... you or anyone else from the Green Party will never again be elected as an MP
And while we're on the subject are you aware that around eight of the world's largest supertankers are belching out more co2 and sulphur pollution into the atmosphere than all of the worlds traffic exhausts combined mostly because these ships are unregulated because they're registered in the Panamas. Why don't you jump onto that bandwagon and do something about that?.... or are there not enough votes to be garnished from such a campaign?.... you're a hypocrite.. you're not that concerned about the environment at all... just maintaining your current position as an MPin the Houses of Parliament... and making yourself look ridiculous with your protest about page 3 girls..... Well I've got something to tell you from the real world... you or anyone else from the Green Party will never again be elected as an MP brightonaire
  • Score: 13

10:53am Mon 21 Apr 14

HJarrs says...

Maxwell's Ghost wrote:
Stuff fracking Caroline. You should try and explain why Brighton and Hove Council's recycling lorry has turned up on a Bank Holiday Monday to collect recycling when no one has out it out because they have never, ever turned up on a Bank Holiday.
What pay are they receiving on a Bank Holiday when the council claims it struggles with budget and can you tell me the recycling rate for the city of carrying out this operation when people don't expect them to turn up. No wonder the city has the lowest levels of recycling since 2007 and the lowest levels in the UK. Hopeless.
I have two boxes full of recycling which will now go into the bin and to be honest I'm not going to bother washing and sorting waste anymore it will all go in the bin weekly as your council is hopeless.
Caroline can you answer questions about the city you represent instead of getting into protests which are not in your constituency.
Diddums Maxy, throwing our toys out of the pram? Anyway I thought you said you gave up recycling ages ago because of some slight?

I thought you read the Argus? The rounds have been changed so that rubbish and recycling are picked up on the same day every week including weeks with bank holidays. You are happy to complain when the refuse service isn't working now you complain when it is!

Fracking and other unconventional forms of hydrocarbons such as shale oil and burning coal seams in situ are a very big deal, way bigger even than a missed recycling box. You have already seen and are going to see rises in global temperatures that will cause irreparable harm to our environment. But with your attitude and that of the moanerati in general, the change we need is being prevented. Let's hope that the younger generations are not so myopic.
[quote][p][bold]Maxwell's Ghost[/bold] wrote: Stuff fracking Caroline. You should try and explain why Brighton and Hove Council's recycling lorry has turned up on a Bank Holiday Monday to collect recycling when no one has out it out because they have never, ever turned up on a Bank Holiday. What pay are they receiving on a Bank Holiday when the council claims it struggles with budget and can you tell me the recycling rate for the city of carrying out this operation when people don't expect them to turn up. No wonder the city has the lowest levels of recycling since 2007 and the lowest levels in the UK. Hopeless. I have two boxes full of recycling which will now go into the bin and to be honest I'm not going to bother washing and sorting waste anymore it will all go in the bin weekly as your council is hopeless. Caroline can you answer questions about the city you represent instead of getting into protests which are not in your constituency.[/p][/quote]Diddums Maxy, throwing our toys out of the pram? Anyway I thought you said you gave up recycling ages ago because of some slight? I thought you read the Argus? The rounds have been changed so that rubbish and recycling are picked up on the same day every week including weeks with bank holidays. You are happy to complain when the refuse service isn't working now you complain when it is! Fracking and other unconventional forms of hydrocarbons such as shale oil and burning coal seams in situ are a very big deal, way bigger even than a missed recycling box. You have already seen and are going to see rises in global temperatures that will cause irreparable harm to our environment. But with your attitude and that of the moanerati in general, the change we need is being prevented. Let's hope that the younger generations are not so myopic. HJarrs
  • Score: -16

11:11am Mon 21 Apr 14

Tallywhacker says...

HJarrs wrote:
Maxwell's Ghost wrote:
Stuff fracking Caroline. You should try and explain why Brighton and Hove Council's recycling lorry has turned up on a Bank Holiday Monday to collect recycling when no one has out it out because they have never, ever turned up on a Bank Holiday.
What pay are they receiving on a Bank Holiday when the council claims it struggles with budget and can you tell me the recycling rate for the city of carrying out this operation when people don't expect them to turn up. No wonder the city has the lowest levels of recycling since 2007 and the lowest levels in the UK. Hopeless.
I have two boxes full of recycling which will now go into the bin and to be honest I'm not going to bother washing and sorting waste anymore it will all go in the bin weekly as your council is hopeless.
Caroline can you answer questions about the city you represent instead of getting into protests which are not in your constituency.
Diddums Maxy, throwing our toys out of the pram? Anyway I thought you said you gave up recycling ages ago because of some slight?

I thought you read the Argus? The rounds have been changed so that rubbish and recycling are picked up on the same day every week including weeks with bank holidays. You are happy to complain when the refuse service isn't working now you complain when it is!

Fracking and other unconventional forms of hydrocarbons such as shale oil and burning coal seams in situ are a very big deal, way bigger even than a missed recycling box. You have already seen and are going to see rises in global temperatures that will cause irreparable harm to our environment. But with your attitude and that of the moanerati in general, the change we need is being prevented. Let's hope that the younger generations are not so myopic.
Footballs. Climate has changed and will change. We cannot stop, halt ,or reverse it. It forces adaptation and evolution something else we should be in favour of. Rising temperature won't make the planet uninhabitable but it will force us to change or go extinct. Adapt or die, everything does it even humans.
[quote][p][bold]HJarrs[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Maxwell's Ghost[/bold] wrote: Stuff fracking Caroline. You should try and explain why Brighton and Hove Council's recycling lorry has turned up on a Bank Holiday Monday to collect recycling when no one has out it out because they have never, ever turned up on a Bank Holiday. What pay are they receiving on a Bank Holiday when the council claims it struggles with budget and can you tell me the recycling rate for the city of carrying out this operation when people don't expect them to turn up. No wonder the city has the lowest levels of recycling since 2007 and the lowest levels in the UK. Hopeless. I have two boxes full of recycling which will now go into the bin and to be honest I'm not going to bother washing and sorting waste anymore it will all go in the bin weekly as your council is hopeless. Caroline can you answer questions about the city you represent instead of getting into protests which are not in your constituency.[/p][/quote]Diddums Maxy, throwing our toys out of the pram? Anyway I thought you said you gave up recycling ages ago because of some slight? I thought you read the Argus? The rounds have been changed so that rubbish and recycling are picked up on the same day every week including weeks with bank holidays. You are happy to complain when the refuse service isn't working now you complain when it is! Fracking and other unconventional forms of hydrocarbons such as shale oil and burning coal seams in situ are a very big deal, way bigger even than a missed recycling box. You have already seen and are going to see rises in global temperatures that will cause irreparable harm to our environment. But with your attitude and that of the moanerati in general, the change we need is being prevented. Let's hope that the younger generations are not so myopic.[/p][/quote]Footballs. Climate has changed and will change. We cannot stop, halt ,or reverse it. It forces adaptation and evolution something else we should be in favour of. Rising temperature won't make the planet uninhabitable but it will force us to change or go extinct. Adapt or die, everything does it even humans. Tallywhacker
  • Score: 10

11:14am Mon 21 Apr 14

juleshove says...

How is this woman still an MP ? Uu
How is this woman still an MP ? Uu juleshove
  • Score: 14

11:23am Mon 21 Apr 14

Maxwell's Ghost says...

Rubbish HJarrs. The recycling and rubbish are not collected on the same days. Recycling Monday and rubbish Tuesday. They were on the same day until the Greens came to power. You don't seem to know anything about the city, do you really live here?
I have all the letters pinned on the kitchen wall from the council about the service and none say the service will operate on bank holidays and to be honest, they don't turn up on the scheduled days anyway hence bins and boxes being left out by many with rubbish all over the road. Take a look at the three properties at the top of Coombe Road. It's like Jakarta.
No wonder this council has the lowest levels of recycling in the UK and since the Greens came to power, levels have dropped below those in 2007. Hopeless. And as for you HJarrs, you stuffed disposable nappies into landfill so don't tell the rest of the city to be Eco. You are a hypocrite and polluter.
Dirty city, dirty greens. As for Caroline, she hasn't hidden her plan not to stand for re election in the city so I wonder if she is heading back to Europe or standing in Balcombe.
Rubbish HJarrs. The recycling and rubbish are not collected on the same days. Recycling Monday and rubbish Tuesday. They were on the same day until the Greens came to power. You don't seem to know anything about the city, do you really live here? I have all the letters pinned on the kitchen wall from the council about the service and none say the service will operate on bank holidays and to be honest, they don't turn up on the scheduled days anyway hence bins and boxes being left out by many with rubbish all over the road. Take a look at the three properties at the top of Coombe Road. It's like Jakarta. No wonder this council has the lowest levels of recycling in the UK and since the Greens came to power, levels have dropped below those in 2007. Hopeless. And as for you HJarrs, you stuffed disposable nappies into landfill so don't tell the rest of the city to be Eco. You are a hypocrite and polluter. Dirty city, dirty greens. As for Caroline, she hasn't hidden her plan not to stand for re election in the city so I wonder if she is heading back to Europe or standing in Balcombe. Maxwell's Ghost
  • Score: 14

12:54pm Mon 21 Apr 14

Gribbet says...

Maxwell's Ghost wrote:
Stuff fracking Caroline. You should try and explain why Brighton and Hove Council's recycling lorry has turned up on a Bank Holiday Monday to collect recycling when no one has out it out because they have never, ever turned up on a Bank Holiday.
What pay are they receiving on a Bank Holiday when the council claims it struggles with budget and can you tell me the recycling rate for the city of carrying out this operation when people don't expect them to turn up. No wonder the city has the lowest levels of recycling since 2007 and the lowest levels in the UK. Hopeless.
I have two boxes full of recycling which will now go into the bin and to be honest I'm not going to bother washing and sorting waste anymore it will all go in the bin weekly as your council is hopeless.
Caroline can you answer questions about the city you represent instead of getting into protests which are not in your constituency.
You missing a bin collection Vs Long term consequences of fracking...

I'd say the latter is a more weighty issue.
[quote][p][bold]Maxwell's Ghost[/bold] wrote: Stuff fracking Caroline. You should try and explain why Brighton and Hove Council's recycling lorry has turned up on a Bank Holiday Monday to collect recycling when no one has out it out because they have never, ever turned up on a Bank Holiday. What pay are they receiving on a Bank Holiday when the council claims it struggles with budget and can you tell me the recycling rate for the city of carrying out this operation when people don't expect them to turn up. No wonder the city has the lowest levels of recycling since 2007 and the lowest levels in the UK. Hopeless. I have two boxes full of recycling which will now go into the bin and to be honest I'm not going to bother washing and sorting waste anymore it will all go in the bin weekly as your council is hopeless. Caroline can you answer questions about the city you represent instead of getting into protests which are not in your constituency.[/p][/quote]You missing a bin collection Vs Long term consequences of fracking... I'd say the latter is a more weighty issue. Gribbet
  • Score: -3

1:01pm Mon 21 Apr 14

Maxwell's Ghost says...

The threats created by fracking are the same as the threat of diesel entering the ground or waste being tipped into landfill yet Caroline doesn't give a hoot about recycling or illegal campers in our parks.
She picks PR opportunities and photoshoots, it's as simple as that. Local folk can see through her.
Meanwhile our parks and environment remain under threat and you seem to be following her lead.
All three issues threaten the environment and in equal measure.
The threats created by fracking are the same as the threat of diesel entering the ground or waste being tipped into landfill yet Caroline doesn't give a hoot about recycling or illegal campers in our parks. She picks PR opportunities and photoshoots, it's as simple as that. Local folk can see through her. Meanwhile our parks and environment remain under threat and you seem to be following her lead. All three issues threaten the environment and in equal measure. Maxwell's Ghost
  • Score: 9

1:22pm Mon 21 Apr 14

Gribbet says...

Maxwell's Ghost wrote:
The threats created by fracking are the same as the threat of diesel entering the ground or waste being tipped into landfill yet Caroline doesn't give a hoot about recycling or illegal campers in our parks.
She picks PR opportunities and photoshoots, it's as simple as that. Local folk can see through her.
Meanwhile our parks and environment remain under threat and you seem to be following her lead.
All three issues threaten the environment and in equal measure.
Gypsy campers in our parks Vs Long term consequences of fracking...

I'd say the latter is a more weighty issue.
[quote][p][bold]Maxwell's Ghost[/bold] wrote: The threats created by fracking are the same as the threat of diesel entering the ground or waste being tipped into landfill yet Caroline doesn't give a hoot about recycling or illegal campers in our parks. She picks PR opportunities and photoshoots, it's as simple as that. Local folk can see through her. Meanwhile our parks and environment remain under threat and you seem to be following her lead. All three issues threaten the environment and in equal measure.[/p][/quote]Gypsy campers in our parks Vs Long term consequences of fracking... I'd say the latter is a more weighty issue. Gribbet
  • Score: -5

1:34pm Mon 21 Apr 14

pachallis says...

Dear Caroline,

How can we trust anything you say when you fervently believe in crackpot theories such as homeopathy? This shows that your scientific knowledge and understanding is so abysmal.

Why not own up that you only joined the greens because it was a way for you to get your pro-communist, pro-feminist, pro-drugs, pro-minority (esp. traveler) policies publicised?

Have you got a new constituency targeted for you to be MP for in 2015?

It's a real shame you can't afford a real spin doctor and have to rely on HJarrs.
Dear Caroline, How can we trust anything you say when you fervently believe in crackpot theories such as homeopathy? This shows that your scientific knowledge and understanding is so abysmal. Why not own up that you only joined the greens because it was a way for you to get your pro-communist, pro-feminist, pro-drugs, pro-minority (esp. traveler) policies publicised? Have you got a new constituency targeted for you to be MP for in 2015? It's a real shame you can't afford a real spin doctor and have to rely on HJarrs. pachallis
  • Score: 4

1:50pm Mon 21 Apr 14

pachallis says...

HJarrs wrote:
Maxwell's Ghost wrote:
Stuff fracking Caroline. You should try and explain why Brighton and Hove Council's recycling lorry has turned up on a Bank Holiday Monday to collect recycling when no one has out it out because they have never, ever turned up on a Bank Holiday.
What pay are they receiving on a Bank Holiday when the council claims it struggles with budget and can you tell me the recycling rate for the city of carrying out this operation when people don't expect them to turn up. No wonder the city has the lowest levels of recycling since 2007 and the lowest levels in the UK. Hopeless.
I have two boxes full of recycling which will now go into the bin and to be honest I'm not going to bother washing and sorting waste anymore it will all go in the bin weekly as your council is hopeless.
Caroline can you answer questions about the city you represent instead of getting into protests which are not in your constituency.
Diddums Maxy, throwing our toys out of the pram? Anyway I thought you said you gave up recycling ages ago because of some slight?

I thought you read the Argus? The rounds have been changed so that rubbish and recycling are picked up on the same day every week including weeks with bank holidays. You are happy to complain when the refuse service isn't working now you complain when it is!

Fracking and other unconventional forms of hydrocarbons such as shale oil and burning coal seams in situ are a very big deal, way bigger even than a missed recycling box. You have already seen and are going to see rises in global temperatures that will cause irreparable harm to our environment. But with your attitude and that of the moanerati in general, the change we need is being prevented. Let's hope that the younger generations are not so myopic.
@HJarrs - I thought you said that my lived in the city?
[quote][p][bold]HJarrs[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Maxwell's Ghost[/bold] wrote: Stuff fracking Caroline. You should try and explain why Brighton and Hove Council's recycling lorry has turned up on a Bank Holiday Monday to collect recycling when no one has out it out because they have never, ever turned up on a Bank Holiday. What pay are they receiving on a Bank Holiday when the council claims it struggles with budget and can you tell me the recycling rate for the city of carrying out this operation when people don't expect them to turn up. No wonder the city has the lowest levels of recycling since 2007 and the lowest levels in the UK. Hopeless. I have two boxes full of recycling which will now go into the bin and to be honest I'm not going to bother washing and sorting waste anymore it will all go in the bin weekly as your council is hopeless. Caroline can you answer questions about the city you represent instead of getting into protests which are not in your constituency.[/p][/quote]Diddums Maxy, throwing our toys out of the pram? Anyway I thought you said you gave up recycling ages ago because of some slight? I thought you read the Argus? The rounds have been changed so that rubbish and recycling are picked up on the same day every week including weeks with bank holidays. You are happy to complain when the refuse service isn't working now you complain when it is! Fracking and other unconventional forms of hydrocarbons such as shale oil and burning coal seams in situ are a very big deal, way bigger even than a missed recycling box. You have already seen and are going to see rises in global temperatures that will cause irreparable harm to our environment. But with your attitude and that of the moanerati in general, the change we need is being prevented. Let's hope that the younger generations are not so myopic.[/p][/quote]@HJarrs - I thought you said that my lived in the city? pachallis
  • Score: 6

1:52pm Mon 21 Apr 14

rolivan says...

People keep going on about global warming when in fact we are actually living in an ice age,the temperature is just not so cold . The Greens have done nothing to convince me that they are in any way shape or form helping to eradicate the biggest problem which is pollution whether it be from recycling household rubbish to the pollution that is emitted by slow moving vehicles in the 2 valleys that form the major part of The City . If they and the other Political groups really want to turn it into a University City predominantly made up of Academics then they had better get a move on and introduce some 21st Century infrastructure.
People keep going on about global warming when in fact we are actually living in an ice age,the temperature is just not so cold . The Greens have done nothing to convince me that they are in any way shape or form helping to eradicate the biggest problem which is pollution whether it be from recycling household rubbish to the pollution that is emitted by slow moving vehicles in the 2 valleys that form the major part of The City . If they and the other Political groups really want to turn it into a University City predominantly made up of Academics then they had better get a move on and introduce some 21st Century infrastructure. rolivan
  • Score: 4

1:53pm Mon 21 Apr 14

P.Dant says...

Since this has now become a discussion on recycling in Brighton,and not the Lucas article,there are about 25 communal recycling areas in Brighton (more are being added).Those require more effort,but many people get to them.I carry a bag of stuff a few streets along.Saving the planet can`t always be put on a plate for people.
Since this has now become a discussion on recycling in Brighton,and not the Lucas article,there are about 25 communal recycling areas in Brighton (more are being added).Those require more effort,but many people get to them.I carry a bag of stuff a few streets along.Saving the planet can`t always be put on a plate for people. P.Dant
  • Score: 2

6:52pm Mon 21 Apr 14

pachallis says...

Gribbet wrote:
Maxwell's Ghost wrote:
Stuff fracking Caroline. You should try and explain why Brighton and Hove Council's recycling lorry has turned up on a Bank Holiday Monday to collect recycling when no one has out it out because they have never, ever turned up on a Bank Holiday.
What pay are they receiving on a Bank Holiday when the council claims it struggles with budget and can you tell me the recycling rate for the city of carrying out this operation when people don't expect them to turn up. No wonder the city has the lowest levels of recycling since 2007 and the lowest levels in the UK. Hopeless.
I have two boxes full of recycling which will now go into the bin and to be honest I'm not going to bother washing and sorting waste anymore it will all go in the bin weekly as your council is hopeless.
Caroline can you answer questions about the city you represent instead of getting into protests which are not in your constituency.
You missing a bin collection Vs Long term consequences of fracking...

I'd say the latter is a more weighty issue.
@Gribbet - the 'Long Term consequences of fracking' may be a 'more weighty issue' than 'bin collection' to you. However for residents of the City the day-to-day issues of rubbish collection are much more important than dubious fears of fracking.

IMHO any issues of 'fracking' and how to deal with emissions need to be raised at a country-global level as there is no benefit to just one country- or even one county implementing restrictions if everyone else carries on regardless.

As such, the UNs climate review and plan to deal with emissions (i.e. switch from coil and oil to CNG with a 50 year migration to fully sustainable) is much more practical than the idealistic options (i.e. set an example to the rest of the world (by halting any further fossil fuel exploitation; putting in cycle lanes; stopping Gatwick expansion) being presented by a single green MP who doesn't seem to understand economics or science, and an irresponsibly incompetent minority-green led council that can't even manage rubbish collections!

These together show, IMHO, that whatever the greens are up to, they can not be trusted to deliver a credible solution to the emission issue - or if they can then they need to convince a lot more people in this country of their plans - and get rid of the left-wing ideologies that are ruining a potentially promising party.
[quote][p][bold]Gribbet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Maxwell's Ghost[/bold] wrote: Stuff fracking Caroline. You should try and explain why Brighton and Hove Council's recycling lorry has turned up on a Bank Holiday Monday to collect recycling when no one has out it out because they have never, ever turned up on a Bank Holiday. What pay are they receiving on a Bank Holiday when the council claims it struggles with budget and can you tell me the recycling rate for the city of carrying out this operation when people don't expect them to turn up. No wonder the city has the lowest levels of recycling since 2007 and the lowest levels in the UK. Hopeless. I have two boxes full of recycling which will now go into the bin and to be honest I'm not going to bother washing and sorting waste anymore it will all go in the bin weekly as your council is hopeless. Caroline can you answer questions about the city you represent instead of getting into protests which are not in your constituency.[/p][/quote]You missing a bin collection Vs Long term consequences of fracking... I'd say the latter is a more weighty issue.[/p][/quote]@Gribbet - the 'Long Term consequences of fracking' may be a 'more weighty issue' than 'bin collection' to you. However for residents of the City the day-to-day issues of rubbish collection are much more important than dubious fears of fracking. IMHO any issues of 'fracking' and how to deal with emissions need to be raised at a country-global level as there is no benefit to just one country- or even one county implementing restrictions if everyone else carries on regardless. As such, the UNs climate review and plan to deal with emissions (i.e. switch from coil and oil to CNG with a 50 year migration to fully sustainable) is much more practical than the idealistic options (i.e. set an example to the rest of the world (by halting any further fossil fuel exploitation; putting in cycle lanes; stopping Gatwick expansion) being presented by a single green MP who doesn't seem to understand economics or science, and an irresponsibly incompetent minority-green led council that can't even manage rubbish collections! These together show, IMHO, that whatever the greens are up to, they can not be trusted to deliver a credible solution to the emission issue - or if they can then they need to convince a lot more people in this country of their plans - and get rid of the left-wing ideologies that are ruining a potentially promising party. pachallis
  • Score: 5

7:37pm Mon 21 Apr 14

whatevernext2013 says...

Maxwell's Ghost wrote:
Rubbish HJarrs. The recycling and rubbish are not collected on the same days. Recycling Monday and rubbish Tuesday. They were on the same day until the Greens came to power. You don't seem to know anything about the city, do you really live here?
I have all the letters pinned on the kitchen wall from the council about the service and none say the service will operate on bank holidays and to be honest, they don't turn up on the scheduled days anyway hence bins and boxes being left out by many with rubbish all over the road. Take a look at the three properties at the top of Coombe Road. It's like Jakarta.
No wonder this council has the lowest levels of recycling in the UK and since the Greens came to power, levels have dropped below those in 2007. Hopeless. And as for you HJarrs, you stuffed disposable nappies into landfill so don't tell the rest of the city to be Eco. You are a hypocrite and polluter.
Dirty city, dirty greens. As for Caroline, she hasn't hidden her plan not to stand for re election in the city so I wonder if she is heading back to Europe or standing in Balcombe.
if she is not standing again it s because no one in brighton is stupid enough to vote for her again
[quote][p][bold]Maxwell's Ghost[/bold] wrote: Rubbish HJarrs. The recycling and rubbish are not collected on the same days. Recycling Monday and rubbish Tuesday. They were on the same day until the Greens came to power. You don't seem to know anything about the city, do you really live here? I have all the letters pinned on the kitchen wall from the council about the service and none say the service will operate on bank holidays and to be honest, they don't turn up on the scheduled days anyway hence bins and boxes being left out by many with rubbish all over the road. Take a look at the three properties at the top of Coombe Road. It's like Jakarta. No wonder this council has the lowest levels of recycling in the UK and since the Greens came to power, levels have dropped below those in 2007. Hopeless. And as for you HJarrs, you stuffed disposable nappies into landfill so don't tell the rest of the city to be Eco. You are a hypocrite and polluter. Dirty city, dirty greens. As for Caroline, she hasn't hidden her plan not to stand for re election in the city so I wonder if she is heading back to Europe or standing in Balcombe.[/p][/quote]if she is not standing again it s because no one in brighton is stupid enough to vote for her again whatevernext2013
  • Score: 3

1:35am Tue 22 Apr 14

Gribbet says...

pachallis wrote:
Gribbet wrote:
Maxwell's Ghost wrote:
Stuff fracking Caroline. You should try and explain why Brighton and Hove Council's recycling lorry has turned up on a Bank Holiday Monday to collect recycling when no one has out it out because they have never, ever turned up on a Bank Holiday.
What pay are they receiving on a Bank Holiday when the council claims it struggles with budget and can you tell me the recycling rate for the city of carrying out this operation when people don't expect them to turn up. No wonder the city has the lowest levels of recycling since 2007 and the lowest levels in the UK. Hopeless.
I have two boxes full of recycling which will now go into the bin and to be honest I'm not going to bother washing and sorting waste anymore it will all go in the bin weekly as your council is hopeless.
Caroline can you answer questions about the city you represent instead of getting into protests which are not in your constituency.
You missing a bin collection Vs Long term consequences of fracking...

I'd say the latter is a more weighty issue.
@Gribbet - the 'Long Term consequences of fracking' may be a 'more weighty issue' than 'bin collection' to you. However for residents of the City the day-to-day issues of rubbish collection are much more important than dubious fears of fracking.

IMHO any issues of 'fracking' and how to deal with emissions need to be raised at a country-global level as there is no benefit to just one country- or even one county implementing restrictions if everyone else carries on regardless.

As such, the UNs climate review and plan to deal with emissions (i.e. switch from coil and oil to CNG with a 50 year migration to fully sustainable) is much more practical than the idealistic options (i.e. set an example to the rest of the world (by halting any further fossil fuel exploitation; putting in cycle lanes; stopping Gatwick expansion) being presented by a single green MP who doesn't seem to understand economics or science, and an irresponsibly incompetent minority-green led council that can't even manage rubbish collections!

These together show, IMHO, that whatever the greens are up to, they can not be trusted to deliver a credible solution to the emission issue - or if they can then they need to convince a lot more people in this country of their plans - and get rid of the left-wing ideologies that are ruining a potentially promising party.
If the fears of fracking are so dubious as you believe, then maybe it would be a good idea to allow fracking in our local city parks (in OUR back yards, so to speak).

If there's fracking going on, this will deter travellers from parking their caravans in our parks, then the money saved from dealing with the travellers can go towards buying more bin lorries to improve rubbish collections, what do you reckon?
[quote][p][bold]pachallis[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gribbet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Maxwell's Ghost[/bold] wrote: Stuff fracking Caroline. You should try and explain why Brighton and Hove Council's recycling lorry has turned up on a Bank Holiday Monday to collect recycling when no one has out it out because they have never, ever turned up on a Bank Holiday. What pay are they receiving on a Bank Holiday when the council claims it struggles with budget and can you tell me the recycling rate for the city of carrying out this operation when people don't expect them to turn up. No wonder the city has the lowest levels of recycling since 2007 and the lowest levels in the UK. Hopeless. I have two boxes full of recycling which will now go into the bin and to be honest I'm not going to bother washing and sorting waste anymore it will all go in the bin weekly as your council is hopeless. Caroline can you answer questions about the city you represent instead of getting into protests which are not in your constituency.[/p][/quote]You missing a bin collection Vs Long term consequences of fracking... I'd say the latter is a more weighty issue.[/p][/quote]@Gribbet - the 'Long Term consequences of fracking' may be a 'more weighty issue' than 'bin collection' to you. However for residents of the City the day-to-day issues of rubbish collection are much more important than dubious fears of fracking. IMHO any issues of 'fracking' and how to deal with emissions need to be raised at a country-global level as there is no benefit to just one country- or even one county implementing restrictions if everyone else carries on regardless. As such, the UNs climate review and plan to deal with emissions (i.e. switch from coil and oil to CNG with a 50 year migration to fully sustainable) is much more practical than the idealistic options (i.e. set an example to the rest of the world (by halting any further fossil fuel exploitation; putting in cycle lanes; stopping Gatwick expansion) being presented by a single green MP who doesn't seem to understand economics or science, and an irresponsibly incompetent minority-green led council that can't even manage rubbish collections! These together show, IMHO, that whatever the greens are up to, they can not be trusted to deliver a credible solution to the emission issue - or if they can then they need to convince a lot more people in this country of their plans - and get rid of the left-wing ideologies that are ruining a potentially promising party.[/p][/quote]If the fears of fracking are so dubious as you believe, then maybe it would be a good idea to allow fracking in our local city parks (in OUR back yards, so to speak). If there's fracking going on, this will deter travellers from parking their caravans in our parks, then the money saved from dealing with the travellers can go towards buying more bin lorries to improve rubbish collections, what do you reckon? Gribbet
  • Score: -2

8:21am Tue 22 Apr 14

pachallis says...

Gribbet wrote:
pachallis wrote:
Gribbet wrote:
Maxwell's Ghost wrote:
Stuff fracking Caroline. You should try and explain why Brighton and Hove Council's recycling lorry has turned up on a Bank Holiday Monday to collect recycling when no one has out it out because they have never, ever turned up on a Bank Holiday.
What pay are they receiving on a Bank Holiday when the council claims it struggles with budget and can you tell me the recycling rate for the city of carrying out this operation when people don't expect them to turn up. No wonder the city has the lowest levels of recycling since 2007 and the lowest levels in the UK. Hopeless.
I have two boxes full of recycling which will now go into the bin and to be honest I'm not going to bother washing and sorting waste anymore it will all go in the bin weekly as your council is hopeless.
Caroline can you answer questions about the city you represent instead of getting into protests which are not in your constituency.
You missing a bin collection Vs Long term consequences of fracking...

I'd say the latter is a more weighty issue.
@Gribbet - the 'Long Term consequences of fracking' may be a 'more weighty issue' than 'bin collection' to you. However for residents of the City the day-to-day issues of rubbish collection are much more important than dubious fears of fracking.

IMHO any issues of 'fracking' and how to deal with emissions need to be raised at a country-global level as there is no benefit to just one country- or even one county implementing restrictions if everyone else carries on regardless.

As such, the UNs climate review and plan to deal with emissions (i.e. switch from coil and oil to CNG with a 50 year migration to fully sustainable) is much more practical than the idealistic options (i.e. set an example to the rest of the world (by halting any further fossil fuel exploitation; putting in cycle lanes; stopping Gatwick expansion) being presented by a single green MP who doesn't seem to understand economics or science, and an irresponsibly incompetent minority-green led council that can't even manage rubbish collections!

These together show, IMHO, that whatever the greens are up to, they can not be trusted to deliver a credible solution to the emission issue - or if they can then they need to convince a lot more people in this country of their plans - and get rid of the left-wing ideologies that are ruining a potentially promising party.
If the fears of fracking are so dubious as you believe, then maybe it would be a good idea to allow fracking in our local city parks (in OUR back yards, so to speak).

If there's fracking going on, this will deter travellers from parking their caravans in our parks, then the money saved from dealing with the travellers can go towards buying more bin lorries to improve rubbish collections, what do you reckon?
@Gribbet - I've no problems with fracking near me - and if it deters travellers as well - wonderful!
[quote][p][bold]Gribbet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pachallis[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gribbet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Maxwell's Ghost[/bold] wrote: Stuff fracking Caroline. You should try and explain why Brighton and Hove Council's recycling lorry has turned up on a Bank Holiday Monday to collect recycling when no one has out it out because they have never, ever turned up on a Bank Holiday. What pay are they receiving on a Bank Holiday when the council claims it struggles with budget and can you tell me the recycling rate for the city of carrying out this operation when people don't expect them to turn up. No wonder the city has the lowest levels of recycling since 2007 and the lowest levels in the UK. Hopeless. I have two boxes full of recycling which will now go into the bin and to be honest I'm not going to bother washing and sorting waste anymore it will all go in the bin weekly as your council is hopeless. Caroline can you answer questions about the city you represent instead of getting into protests which are not in your constituency.[/p][/quote]You missing a bin collection Vs Long term consequences of fracking... I'd say the latter is a more weighty issue.[/p][/quote]@Gribbet - the 'Long Term consequences of fracking' may be a 'more weighty issue' than 'bin collection' to you. However for residents of the City the day-to-day issues of rubbish collection are much more important than dubious fears of fracking. IMHO any issues of 'fracking' and how to deal with emissions need to be raised at a country-global level as there is no benefit to just one country- or even one county implementing restrictions if everyone else carries on regardless. As such, the UNs climate review and plan to deal with emissions (i.e. switch from coil and oil to CNG with a 50 year migration to fully sustainable) is much more practical than the idealistic options (i.e. set an example to the rest of the world (by halting any further fossil fuel exploitation; putting in cycle lanes; stopping Gatwick expansion) being presented by a single green MP who doesn't seem to understand economics or science, and an irresponsibly incompetent minority-green led council that can't even manage rubbish collections! These together show, IMHO, that whatever the greens are up to, they can not be trusted to deliver a credible solution to the emission issue - or if they can then they need to convince a lot more people in this country of their plans - and get rid of the left-wing ideologies that are ruining a potentially promising party.[/p][/quote]If the fears of fracking are so dubious as you believe, then maybe it would be a good idea to allow fracking in our local city parks (in OUR back yards, so to speak). If there's fracking going on, this will deter travellers from parking their caravans in our parks, then the money saved from dealing with the travellers can go towards buying more bin lorries to improve rubbish collections, what do you reckon?[/p][/quote]@Gribbet - I've no problems with fracking near me - and if it deters travellers as well - wonderful! pachallis
  • Score: -1

9:33am Tue 22 Apr 14

Morpheus says...

She even makes the alien abduction people look sane.
She even makes the alien abduction people look sane. Morpheus
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree