Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Lancing Prep School classroom filled with smoke in unusual fire
Firefighters were called to extinguish a fire which was started by a crystal ball.
The crew from Hove Community Fire Station were called to Lancing Preparatory School in The Droveway, Hove, at about 7pm to deal with a classroom that had been filled with smoke.
The fire had started by sunlight shining through a crystal ball which was near a scarf and the heat generated began to burn the scarf.
The firefighters were able to deal with the blaze by fanning out the smoke, and although unusual, an officer who attended the incident told The Argus is was not the first time he had been called out to a scene like this.
He said: "It's really unusual, and although it's the first time I've ever been called out to a fire caused by a crystal ball, I did go to a fire a few years back which was started similarly.
"There was a little old lady working on a crossword and she was severely visually impaired.
"I can't remember if it was a thick pair of reading glasses or a magnifying glass, but the sunlight came in through a balcony, through the glasses or magnifying glass and set her crossword alight."
The incident could have been a lot worse according if proposed cuts to the fire service were to go ahead, according to the officer.
He said: "In the current climate we're in and the cuts we're facing, this was a lucky one really.
"We were alerted to this by a fire alarm panel - and this is one of the things that looks set to be cut if the proposed changes go ahead.
"It was fortunate we were there and were able to attend, otherwise the situation could have been a lot worse for Lancing Prep School.
"It highlights the importance of these things and it would have been a different situation if the cuts had been put in place."
There were no reported injuries.
Comments are closed on this article.