Pride street party plans revealed

Pride street party plans revealed

Pride street party plans revealed

Pride street party plans revealed

First published in News by

THE controversial plans for the ticketing of Pride’s street party have been unveiled.

More than 70 people packed into a public meeting at Brighton’s Dorset Gardens Methodist Church on Wednesday night to hear the proposal for the event on August 2.

It will be the first time the after-party, which is held in and around St James’s Street, will be ticketed.

Despite opposition the meeting was told ticketing was essential to prevent another Hillsborough disaster.

Inspector Tony Lumb, from Sussex Police, said last year’s event was “intolerable” and officers were forced to ignore crimes due to the crowds.

David Samuel, from David Samuel Associates, who has been brought in by Pride organisers to plan and manage the event, gave a presentation of the proposal.

The new measures include:

  • Crowd barriers erected around the party area.
  • The sale of £5 wristband tickets to make the event safer and easier to manage.
  • Five roads issued no-go areas to protect residents.
  • No glass on site.
  • Double the number of security.

Mr Samuel said the street party area would be larger than usual with the ticketed zone stretching from the north side of Marine Parade up onto roads north of St James’s Street. To the west it would stretch to the bottom of St James’s Street before the Old Steine – taking in the bottom of George Street. Steine Street would be one of the designated residential no-go areas. To the east the ticketed area would go to, but not include, Upper Rock Gardens. Rock Place would be included as well as the bottom of St James’s Avenue.

Paul Kemp, Pride director, explained temporary crowd barriers would be used with security on each road. Police officers would also be stationed at each entrance.

He said: “I want to make it absolutely clear, Pride is not making money from this. Pride is two people, we are not some big money grabbing organisation, I work for less than the minimum wage.

“It will cost just £5 for the wristband – £2 for Saturday, £2 for Sunday and £1 will go to charity.

“The money from the wristbands will go towards covering the infrastructure costs. If we make anything extra it will go to charity or towards next year’s event.”

He added: “We just want a safe event for people who come from all over the UK and Europe.”

The meeting was told five streets would be made no-go areas to protect residents from anti-social behaviour, which has previously included defecating in front drives, verbal abuse and partygoers having sex in gardens. The designated roads will be Margaret Street, Charles Street, Steine Street, Prince Street and Wentworth Street.

No alcohol will be allowed to be brought into the area.

Bars, pubs and restaurants, which make tens of thousands of pounds from Pride each year, will be made to put between £500 to £1,000 towards the event. The precise amount will depend on the size of the business.

Speaking at the meeting Inspector Tony Lumb described last year’s event as “unsafe”. He said: “This is something of a confession, but we couldn’t effectively police it. We didn’t have control of the street.

“We were ignoring criminality, not through want or desire or lack of resources but because we couldn’t get to people and places.”

He added: “The sheer number of people and the sheer amount of glass made it dangerous.

“We can’t have a repeat.”

In response to his concerns a dedicated emergency services route is planned to be introduced to allow easy access for fire, police and ambulance services.

Two of the three local ward councillors, Geoffrey Bowden and Stephanie Powell, were also at the meeting. Both pledged their support to the proposed ticketing scheme with Coun Bowden describing it as a “last chance saloon” situation.

He said: “For too long residents have had to put up with unacceptable conditions and anti-social behaviour. Excessive alcohol has also became a problem as well as the crowding. This is an opportunity for us to control the numbers with an increased footprint – all for just £2 a day for Pridegoers.”

Coun Powell said she was unsure about when they first ticketed the Preston Park event but admitted it was “the best thing they could have done”. She said: “It was only a matter of time before it happened here. You can’t squeeze that amount of people into an area like this and not expect another Hillsborough. It has to happen.”

Residents, business owners and Pride punters raised a number of issues at the two hour 40 minute meeting. Questions included how organisers would ensure the event remains open to those on low incomes, how would police reduce anti-social behaviour and why should party goers have to pay at all?

Perhaps the most contentious issue was that of the resident’s wristband. While those who live in the party area would be given free wristbands for access they were told they must buy a punter’s wristband if they wish to buy alcohol from the local supermarkets, pubs, bars and clubs.

Following feedback from the meeting Mr Kemp said they would be providing residents with discounted wristbands – although the price has not yet been decided.

David Spafford, from St James’s Community Action Group, asked a number of questions at the meeting.

Speaking afterwards he said: “I have always felt Pride should be free to all but at £5 the after-party will be within everyone’s budget.

“The result will be a much more enjoyable event for all those attending and much less of an imposition on the local residents.”

David Hainsworth from the Kingscliffe Society, who was also at the meeting, said the plans looked “solid”. He said: “I have been back and spoken to some of our members and they – like I – think this is the first positive plan for the event in a number of years.

“They have been upfront about the plans and are consulting which is positive. This is the first year so they are probably not going to get everything right. But it is a start.”

PRIDE ORGANISERS PUT THE RECORD STRAIGHT ON TICKETING

Pride organisers have come under fire for ticketing the street party for the first time.

They used Wednesday’s meeting as a chance to put the record straight on a number of matters. Here are some of the main points and issues raised: Is this the privatisation of Pride and a way for organisers to make more money?

Paul Kemp gave a passionate speech at the meeting in an attempt to clear up the issue.

He told those present that with Pride being a community interest group, they make no money.

Whatever money they raise goes towards covering their costs with the rest given to their charity, The Rainbow Fund.

He said: “The money from the wristbands will go towards covering the infrastructure costs. If we make anything extra it will go to charity or towards next year’s event.”

The new ticketing system will hurt low income Pride goers. What are you going to do?

Pride bosses, police and councillors all told the meeting the ticketing move was essential to ensure the future of the event.

In a perfect world, Pride bosses said there would be no charge. But Mr Kemp said it was necessary to cover the cost of the infrastructure.

He added that anyone wanting to volunteer either at the event or in the build up would get a free wristband. Volunteers would only be required to help out for two hours minimum.

Why could Pride not be held on Madeira Drive?

Coun Geoffrey Bowden addressed the meeting on the issue. He told how emergency services had advised the move was not safe.

Given the combination of pebbles, the nearby sea and likely heavy drink and drug use, the council had been told it was not safe.

Others at the meeting also spoke of the significance of the St James’s Street area to the LGBT community and the desire to keep the street party there.

The punters are having to pay for the event rather than the big supermarkets, pubs and bars who make thousands.

Pride organisers and councillors spoke of their pride at the event being community focused. As such, they said, everyone should contribute towards it.

David Samuel said each pub, bar and restaurant would have to pay between £500 and £1,000 (depending on their size) to serve alcohol in the party area.

Mr Kemp also said they would be approaching the three big supermarkets in the area - Morrisons, Co-op and Tesco – and asking them to contribute towards the new infrastructure costs which will enable the event to continue.

The responses from the supermarkets will be published in The Argus in due course.

Comments (23)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:31am Fri 30 May 14

cathykate says...

I think charging residents £5 to purchase alcohol from their local shops is totally out of order and I can't believe that this seems reasonable to anyone!! Because a party is being organised on my doorstep, I have to hand over money in order to go about my everday business? Can't be legal!! For the first time the Pride weekend has really angered me......
I think charging residents £5 to purchase alcohol from their local shops is totally out of order and I can't believe that this seems reasonable to anyone!! Because a party is being organised on my doorstep, I have to hand over money in order to go about my everday business? Can't be legal!! For the first time the Pride weekend has really angered me...... cathykate
  • Score: 28

7:41am Fri 30 May 14

jamie-hove says...

This is pretty outrageous - so regardless of whether businesses want a street full of drug fueled drunks and selfish exhibitionists they are being forced to pay a fee - and then on top of that residents, who are already having their weekend wrecked by crowds and noise and litter and vandalism are being told that they have to wear bands to get in and out of their own home and pay a fee to support the debauchery if they want a local beer? How can this be legal? Pride already has a march that closes the town and a massive party in the park and I'll be at both of those but knowing how many problems it causes the majority of the residents and businesses who want nothing to do with this extra party - it is too now much.
This is pretty outrageous - so regardless of whether businesses want a street full of drug fueled drunks and selfish exhibitionists they are being forced to pay a fee - and then on top of that residents, who are already having their weekend wrecked by crowds and noise and litter and vandalism are being told that they have to wear bands to get in and out of their own home and pay a fee to support the debauchery if they want a local beer? How can this be legal? Pride already has a march that closes the town and a massive party in the park and I'll be at both of those but knowing how many problems it causes the majority of the residents and businesses who want nothing to do with this extra party - it is too now much. jamie-hove
  • Score: 10

8:04am Fri 30 May 14

hoveguyactually says...

It will be interesting to hear the response from the supermarkets, who will probably lose out, as non-ticket holders will be prevented from shopping with them unless the pay £5.

And may we please hear from the legal community regarding the enforced closure of a public street to non-paying pedestrians.

Meanwhile, what a great gift to homophobia!
It will be interesting to hear the response from the supermarkets, who will probably lose out, as non-ticket holders will be prevented from shopping with them unless the pay £5. And may we please hear from the legal community regarding the enforced closure of a public street to non-paying pedestrians. Meanwhile, what a great gift to homophobia! hoveguyactually
  • Score: 16

8:10am Fri 30 May 14

hugo1977 says...

if it would be all for charity and making no money then David Samuel and his accosiates company would not charge 10,000£ to organise the streetparty as their fee.
if it would be all for charity and making no money then David Samuel and his accosiates company would not charge 10,000£ to organise the streetparty as their fee. hugo1977
  • Score: 6

9:04am Fri 30 May 14

Darcstar says...

BOYCOT PRIDE ;')...
That's the simple solution. Let it fail completely, the people who dare to charge money for people to enter public streets ( Obstruction & 100% Illegal ) will fall on their faces financially and will think twice about doing it again. It's £5 this year, it'll be £7 next year etc etc.. The same happened in the park. First it was just a few pounds, now it is over £10. You reap what you sow. If the community supports the event, the event will continue and become more and more expensive. If it falls on its face things will change the following year.
The organisers / sales participants and corporate winners are taking advantage of the pink pound and are garunteeing those without lots of money to spend don't go. They are acting like it is an exclusive bar somewhere....
It is up to each individual to start keeping their money away from the scammers... starve them out ...... ;')...

Maybe its time for the Gay community et al to drop pride, they've got their legal rights now, maybe it's time to treat it like a normall day and just be proud every day, get on with your lives, no-one cares if your gay. just get on with it.....
Pride cannot be proud when it descriminates between people, which is the reason it was started in the first place, because of descrimination....

LAUGHABLE !!!! BOYCOT IT
BOYCOT PRIDE ;')... That's the simple solution. Let it fail completely, the people who dare to charge money for people to enter public streets ( Obstruction & 100% Illegal ) will fall on their faces financially and will think twice about doing it again. It's £5 this year, it'll be £7 next year etc etc.. The same happened in the park. First it was just a few pounds, now it is over £10. You reap what you sow. If the community supports the event, the event will continue and become more and more expensive. If it falls on its face things will change the following year. The organisers / sales participants and corporate winners are taking advantage of the pink pound and are garunteeing those without lots of money to spend don't go. They are acting like it is an exclusive bar somewhere.... It is up to each individual to start keeping their money away from the scammers... starve them out ...... ;')... Maybe its time for the Gay community et al to drop pride, they've got their legal rights now, maybe it's time to treat it like a normall day and just be proud every day, get on with your lives, no-one cares if your gay. just get on with it..... Pride cannot be proud when it descriminates between people, which is the reason it was started in the first place, because of descrimination.... LAUGHABLE !!!! BOYCOT IT Darcstar
  • Score: 11

9:12am Fri 30 May 14

clubrob6 says...

I must admit it has got like preston park got before that was made a ticketed event and fenced off,St James area has now become too crowded with very little control and is quite simply dangerous.For public safety numbers need restricted,what always annoys me is the large supermarkets always refuse to help with the cost of security and the cleaning up of the area but make a fortune out of the event and sell bottled goods.The bars in the area serve drinks in plastic glasses.I think the way forward is to make preston park a two day event .
I must admit it has got like preston park got before that was made a ticketed event and fenced off,St James area has now become too crowded with very little control and is quite simply dangerous.For public safety numbers need restricted,what always annoys me is the large supermarkets always refuse to help with the cost of security and the cleaning up of the area but make a fortune out of the event and sell bottled goods.The bars in the area serve drinks in plastic glasses.I think the way forward is to make preston park a two day event . clubrob6
  • Score: 8

9:23am Fri 30 May 14

clubrob6 says...

cathykate wrote:
I think charging residents £5 to purchase alcohol from their local shops is totally out of order and I can't believe that this seems reasonable to anyone!! Because a party is being organised on my doorstep, I have to hand over money in order to go about my everday business? Can't be legal!! For the first time the Pride weekend has really angered me......
Agree anyone living in the area should be approached before hand and given FREE wristbands.I would go further and give local residents a different colour wristband with a different entrance to the area so they can come and go as they please.
[quote][p][bold]cathykate[/bold] wrote: I think charging residents £5 to purchase alcohol from their local shops is totally out of order and I can't believe that this seems reasonable to anyone!! Because a party is being organised on my doorstep, I have to hand over money in order to go about my everday business? Can't be legal!! For the first time the Pride weekend has really angered me......[/p][/quote]Agree anyone living in the area should be approached before hand and given FREE wristbands.I would go further and give local residents a different colour wristband with a different entrance to the area so they can come and go as they please. clubrob6
  • Score: 20

9:29am Fri 30 May 14

clubrob6 says...

jamie-hove wrote:
This is pretty outrageous - so regardless of whether businesses want a street full of drug fueled drunks and selfish exhibitionists they are being forced to pay a fee - and then on top of that residents, who are already having their weekend wrecked by crowds and noise and litter and vandalism are being told that they have to wear bands to get in and out of their own home and pay a fee to support the debauchery if they want a local beer? How can this be legal? Pride already has a march that closes the town and a massive party in the park and I'll be at both of those but knowing how many problems it causes the majority of the residents and businesses who want nothing to do with this extra party - it is too now much.
Residents should be given a different colour wristband with a residents only entrance to the area and priority entrance from other gates.These wristbands should be FREE.The large supermarkets that refuse to financially support the event and carry on selling glass goods should also play there part.
[quote][p][bold]jamie-hove[/bold] wrote: This is pretty outrageous - so regardless of whether businesses want a street full of drug fueled drunks and selfish exhibitionists they are being forced to pay a fee - and then on top of that residents, who are already having their weekend wrecked by crowds and noise and litter and vandalism are being told that they have to wear bands to get in and out of their own home and pay a fee to support the debauchery if they want a local beer? How can this be legal? Pride already has a march that closes the town and a massive party in the park and I'll be at both of those but knowing how many problems it causes the majority of the residents and businesses who want nothing to do with this extra party - it is too now much.[/p][/quote]Residents should be given a different colour wristband with a residents only entrance to the area and priority entrance from other gates.These wristbands should be FREE.The large supermarkets that refuse to financially support the event and carry on selling glass goods should also play there part. clubrob6
  • Score: 10

9:35am Fri 30 May 14

shining star says...

I hope we all are entitled to a refund on our council tax, as, for one long weekend we are being denied access to the streets we are being charged tax to cover street cleaning etc. London Road will be a no go to most shoppers on the Saturday because of drunken, anti social behaviour, because the general rule is 'ignore this because yhou will look homophobic if you complain or take action'. This is unacceptable and Brighton Council should be made to overturn this ruling. If people were to ignore the ticketing rule to enter a street, I wonder what legally could be done about it. Secondly, I would like to have named the 'given charity' and the costs. What happens to the money when 'Rainbow Fund' receives it.
I hope we all are entitled to a refund on our council tax, as, for one long weekend we are being denied access to the streets we are being charged tax to cover street cleaning etc. London Road will be a no go to most shoppers on the Saturday because of drunken, anti social behaviour, because the general rule is 'ignore this because yhou will look homophobic if you complain or take action'. This is unacceptable and Brighton Council should be made to overturn this ruling. If people were to ignore the ticketing rule to enter a street, I wonder what legally could be done about it. Secondly, I would like to have named the 'given charity' and the costs. What happens to the money when 'Rainbow Fund' receives it. shining star
  • Score: 7

9:41am Fri 30 May 14

clubrob6 says...

hoveguyactually wrote:
It will be interesting to hear the response from the supermarkets, who will probably lose out, as non-ticket holders will be prevented from shopping with them unless the pay £5.

And may we please hear from the legal community regarding the enforced closure of a public street to non-paying pedestrians.

Meanwhile, what a great gift to homophobia!
To make it fair to residents of the area they should have a different colour wristband FREE of charge,they should have a separate entrance to the area for residents only they should not have to wait around to get to there own homes and should not have to pay to use facilities.As for the large supermarkets they are one of the reasons the event as got so un-safe they refuse every year to contribute to the management and cleaning of the area but carry on selling bottled goods.Last year there was people openly selling drugs I think the police should have sniffer dogs to combat this.There is no point saying just ban the party as the people would come anyway it does need managed but residents should be given priority with entering and leaving the area.
[quote][p][bold]hoveguyactually[/bold] wrote: It will be interesting to hear the response from the supermarkets, who will probably lose out, as non-ticket holders will be prevented from shopping with them unless the pay £5. And may we please hear from the legal community regarding the enforced closure of a public street to non-paying pedestrians. Meanwhile, what a great gift to homophobia![/p][/quote]To make it fair to residents of the area they should have a different colour wristband FREE of charge,they should have a separate entrance to the area for residents only they should not have to wait around to get to there own homes and should not have to pay to use facilities.As for the large supermarkets they are one of the reasons the event as got so un-safe they refuse every year to contribute to the management and cleaning of the area but carry on selling bottled goods.Last year there was people openly selling drugs I think the police should have sniffer dogs to combat this.There is no point saying just ban the party as the people would come anyway it does need managed but residents should be given priority with entering and leaving the area. clubrob6
  • Score: 7

9:55am Fri 30 May 14

clubrob6 says...

Darcstar wrote:
BOYCOT PRIDE ;')...
That's the simple solution. Let it fail completely, the people who dare to charge money for people to enter public streets ( Obstruction & 100% Illegal ) will fall on their faces financially and will think twice about doing it again. It's £5 this year, it'll be £7 next year etc etc.. The same happened in the park. First it was just a few pounds, now it is over £10. You reap what you sow. If the community supports the event, the event will continue and become more and more expensive. If it falls on its face things will change the following year.
The organisers / sales participants and corporate winners are taking advantage of the pink pound and are garunteeing those without lots of money to spend don't go. They are acting like it is an exclusive bar somewhere....
It is up to each individual to start keeping their money away from the scammers... starve them out ...... ;')...

Maybe its time for the Gay community et al to drop pride, they've got their legal rights now, maybe it's time to treat it like a normall day and just be proud every day, get on with your lives, no-one cares if your gay. just get on with it.....
Pride cannot be proud when it descriminates between people, which is the reason it was started in the first place, because of descrimination....

LAUGHABLE !!!! BOYCOT IT
Some of what you say is true but to make it fair residents should get another colour wristband free of charge with the own entrance.No matter what the event will go ahead as numbers are restricted at preston park and people wont pay the ticket price,the event simply now needs managed for safety reasons.People wont boycott the event if they were stopped from having a party in that area it would happen all around anyway.I don't think pride should be dropped its a massive boost for local business especially if we have had a bad summer.You say we have our legal rights yes there have been massive steps forward but around the world in more than seventy countries things are getting worse its a chance to show support for those countries.Its a party day too but its got to be managed but it has also got to be fair to local residents who should take priority with entrance to the area they live free of charge and free to use the facilities in there area.I cant see it being legal for residents of the area paying.
[quote][p][bold]Darcstar[/bold] wrote: BOYCOT PRIDE ;')... That's the simple solution. Let it fail completely, the people who dare to charge money for people to enter public streets ( Obstruction & 100% Illegal ) will fall on their faces financially and will think twice about doing it again. It's £5 this year, it'll be £7 next year etc etc.. The same happened in the park. First it was just a few pounds, now it is over £10. You reap what you sow. If the community supports the event, the event will continue and become more and more expensive. If it falls on its face things will change the following year. The organisers / sales participants and corporate winners are taking advantage of the pink pound and are garunteeing those without lots of money to spend don't go. They are acting like it is an exclusive bar somewhere.... It is up to each individual to start keeping their money away from the scammers... starve them out ...... ;')... Maybe its time for the Gay community et al to drop pride, they've got their legal rights now, maybe it's time to treat it like a normall day and just be proud every day, get on with your lives, no-one cares if your gay. just get on with it..... Pride cannot be proud when it descriminates between people, which is the reason it was started in the first place, because of descrimination.... LAUGHABLE !!!! BOYCOT IT[/p][/quote]Some of what you say is true but to make it fair residents should get another colour wristband free of charge with the own entrance.No matter what the event will go ahead as numbers are restricted at preston park and people wont pay the ticket price,the event simply now needs managed for safety reasons.People wont boycott the event if they were stopped from having a party in that area it would happen all around anyway.I don't think pride should be dropped its a massive boost for local business especially if we have had a bad summer.You say we have our legal rights yes there have been massive steps forward but around the world in more than seventy countries things are getting worse its a chance to show support for those countries.Its a party day too but its got to be managed but it has also got to be fair to local residents who should take priority with entrance to the area they live free of charge and free to use the facilities in there area.I cant see it being legal for residents of the area paying. clubrob6
  • Score: 6

10:03am Fri 30 May 14

clubrob6 says...

shining star wrote:
I hope we all are entitled to a refund on our council tax, as, for one long weekend we are being denied access to the streets we are being charged tax to cover street cleaning etc. London Road will be a no go to most shoppers on the Saturday because of drunken, anti social behaviour, because the general rule is 'ignore this because yhou will look homophobic if you complain or take action'. This is unacceptable and Brighton Council should be made to overturn this ruling. If people were to ignore the ticketing rule to enter a street, I wonder what legally could be done about it. Secondly, I would like to have named the 'given charity' and the costs. What happens to the money when 'Rainbow Fund' receives it.
The street party so far has not made money for the Rainbow Fund in fact it loses money due to the cost of staging the event ,just like preston park used to be people are reluctant to put money into collection buckets to help with costs.The Rainbow Fund is a very well run charity everything is out in the open.
[quote][p][bold]shining star[/bold] wrote: I hope we all are entitled to a refund on our council tax, as, for one long weekend we are being denied access to the streets we are being charged tax to cover street cleaning etc. London Road will be a no go to most shoppers on the Saturday because of drunken, anti social behaviour, because the general rule is 'ignore this because yhou will look homophobic if you complain or take action'. This is unacceptable and Brighton Council should be made to overturn this ruling. If people were to ignore the ticketing rule to enter a street, I wonder what legally could be done about it. Secondly, I would like to have named the 'given charity' and the costs. What happens to the money when 'Rainbow Fund' receives it.[/p][/quote]The street party so far has not made money for the Rainbow Fund in fact it loses money due to the cost of staging the event ,just like preston park used to be people are reluctant to put money into collection buckets to help with costs.The Rainbow Fund is a very well run charity everything is out in the open. clubrob6
  • Score: 5

10:47am Fri 30 May 14

wippasnapper says...

Pride is no longer a FREE advent for the people it is now a MONEY MAKING advent for the organizers and the Council first they start charging to go in the park now they are charging to enter a street regardless of the fact there is a party in it but of course people will pay the fee because they want to be apart of the celebrations and all this is down to is the anti terrorism act – outrageous.
Pride is no longer a FREE advent for the people it is now a MONEY MAKING advent for the organizers and the Council first they start charging to go in the park now they are charging to enter a street regardless of the fact there is a party in it but of course people will pay the fee because they want to be apart of the celebrations and all this is down to is the anti terrorism act – outrageous. wippasnapper
  • Score: 1

11:21am Fri 30 May 14

Skidrow says...

When it was free, who paid to clear up afterwards?
When it was free, who paid to clear up afterwards? Skidrow
  • Score: 5

11:29am Fri 30 May 14

ZeeGee, ffs says...

This goes to show how terrified the local authorities are at upsetting the little darlings.
This goes to show how terrified the local authorities are at upsetting the little darlings. ZeeGee, ffs
  • Score: -6

11:46am Fri 30 May 14

clubrob6 says...

ZeeGee, ffs wrote:
This goes to show how terrified the local authorities are at upsetting the little darlings.
Its not the little darlings as you put it that would be upset but the thousands of gay for a day straights who just use the event to get off there face and don't contribute to the safe running of such events.The street party needs controlling before something major happens but residents should have there own entrance and totally free access.
[quote][p][bold]ZeeGee, ffs[/bold] wrote: This goes to show how terrified the local authorities are at upsetting the little darlings.[/p][/quote]Its not the little darlings as you put it that would be upset but the thousands of gay for a day straights who just use the event to get off there face and don't contribute to the safe running of such events.The street party needs controlling before something major happens but residents should have there own entrance and totally free access. clubrob6
  • Score: 13

11:52am Fri 30 May 14

clubrob6 says...

Skidrow wrote:
When it was free, who paid to clear up afterwards?
Usually it was paid for by sponsorship and donations from local business in the area.The large supermarkets that made the most from the event have always refused to contribute and are the cause for the broken bottles on the street as they continue to sell them.The street party actually has been losing money just like the event at preston park until a charge was made.Quite often when there is a shortfall it was left to the gay community to raise money.The event has just become a free for all party which has got far too big to control safely.The option to cancel the street party wont work as the people will just turn up anyway so its best if it is managed.
[quote][p][bold]Skidrow[/bold] wrote: When it was free, who paid to clear up afterwards?[/p][/quote]Usually it was paid for by sponsorship and donations from local business in the area.The large supermarkets that made the most from the event have always refused to contribute and are the cause for the broken bottles on the street as they continue to sell them.The street party actually has been losing money just like the event at preston park until a charge was made.Quite often when there is a shortfall it was left to the gay community to raise money.The event has just become a free for all party which has got far too big to control safely.The option to cancel the street party wont work as the people will just turn up anyway so its best if it is managed. clubrob6
  • Score: 4

12:11pm Fri 30 May 14

ZeeGee, ffs says...

clubrob6 wrote:
ZeeGee, ffs wrote:
This goes to show how terrified the local authorities are at upsetting the little darlings.
Its not the little darlings as you put it that would be upset but the thousands of gay for a day straights who just use the event to get off there face and don't contribute to the safe running of such events.The street party needs controlling before something major happens but residents should have there own entrance and totally free access.
The event is billed as being for gays, therefore the authorities won't be planning to upset them.
[quote][p][bold]clubrob6[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ZeeGee, ffs[/bold] wrote: This goes to show how terrified the local authorities are at upsetting the little darlings.[/p][/quote]Its not the little darlings as you put it that would be upset but the thousands of gay for a day straights who just use the event to get off there face and don't contribute to the safe running of such events.The street party needs controlling before something major happens but residents should have there own entrance and totally free access.[/p][/quote]The event is billed as being for gays, therefore the authorities won't be planning to upset them. ZeeGee, ffs
  • Score: -4

3:46pm Fri 30 May 14

Mr chock says...

the advert when i was reading this article was " fire at the enemy tank .. " this has made me giggle but really i am a bit concerned that the Pride group of happy go lucky folks want to turn that part of the street in to a street party funded by who ? preston park is a massive massive space just a thought they can make it a higher priced ticket event and keep everyone that want to party party in one safe controlled area " then there might not be so many homophobic attacks like there was last year the police could not cope...
the advert when i was reading this article was " fire at the enemy tank .. " this has made me giggle but really i am a bit concerned that the Pride group of happy go lucky folks want to turn that part of the street in to a street party funded by who ? preston park is a massive massive space just a thought they can make it a higher priced ticket event and keep everyone that want to party party in one safe controlled area " then there might not be so many homophobic attacks like there was last year the police could not cope... Mr chock
  • Score: 0

6:10pm Fri 30 May 14

wippasnapper says...

Skidrow wrote:
When it was free, who paid to clear up afterwards?
The council tax payer and we still pay regardless of them charging to join in
[quote][p][bold]Skidrow[/bold] wrote: When it was free, who paid to clear up afterwards?[/p][/quote]The council tax payer and we still pay regardless of them charging to join in wippasnapper
  • Score: 2

4:19pm Mon 2 Jun 14

BackdoorBertie says...

From reading everyones comments it seems pretty obvious that few, if any, actually attended the public meeting. From what I heard the facts are -

There is no charge at all to access the area.
There are two types of wristband. Free ones issues to residents and paid-for ones available to partygoers who wish to buy alcohol from any licensed premises within the secured zone.

So theres no legal issue of restricting access because access is not restricted to anyone. True no one will be allowed to enter with glass containers or alcohol but this seems to be a reasonable restriction for safety reasons.

There are some awkward issues to sort out with regard to residents arriving home with shopping that contains glass and with regard to residents having to pay to purchase alcohol from within the zone but with a little thought, effort and cooperation I can't see why, with a bit of tweaking, the plan shouldn't work.

I don't see any of those who complain and criticise making any reasonable alternative suggestion as to how to better organise and fund a safer event!
From reading everyones comments it seems pretty obvious that few, if any, actually attended the public meeting. From what I heard the facts are - There is no charge at all to access the area. There are two types of wristband. Free ones issues to residents and paid-for ones available to partygoers who wish to buy alcohol from any licensed premises within the secured zone. So theres no legal issue of restricting access because access is not restricted to anyone. True no one will be allowed to enter with glass containers or alcohol but this seems to be a reasonable restriction for safety reasons. There are some awkward issues to sort out with regard to residents arriving home with shopping that contains glass and with regard to residents having to pay to purchase alcohol from within the zone but with a little thought, effort and cooperation I can't see why, with a bit of tweaking, the plan shouldn't work. I don't see any of those who complain and criticise making any reasonable alternative suggestion as to how to better organise and fund a safer event! BackdoorBertie
  • Score: 0

12:26pm Tue 3 Jun 14

wippasnapper says...

BackdoorBertie wrote:
From reading everyones comments it seems pretty obvious that few, if any, actually attended the public meeting. From what I heard the facts are -

There is no charge at all to access the area.
There are two types of wristband. Free ones issues to residents and paid-for ones available to partygoers who wish to buy alcohol from any licensed premises within the secured zone.

So theres no legal issue of restricting access because access is not restricted to anyone. True no one will be allowed to enter with glass containers or alcohol but this seems to be a reasonable restriction for safety reasons.

There are some awkward issues to sort out with regard to residents arriving home with shopping that contains glass and with regard to residents having to pay to purchase alcohol from within the zone but with a little thought, effort and cooperation I can't see why, with a bit of tweaking, the plan shouldn't work.

I don't see any of those who complain and criticise making any reasonable alternative suggestion as to how to better organise and fund a safer event!
Well for starters all properties residents should be issued a free past by post well before the event takes place so if they return home with there shopping regardless of the fact that they may well have alcohol in there shopping they should be allowed to enter with there shopping regardless of what is in the shopping bags.

My main issues is with the Park event that used to be free for all ok I can understand maybe charging for the main entertainment but the stalls rely on lots of people spending the cash but if these stalls can only be visited after paying an outrageous fee they are hardly going to make the sort of money they once did when it was a free event.
[quote][p][bold]BackdoorBertie[/bold] wrote: From reading everyones comments it seems pretty obvious that few, if any, actually attended the public meeting. From what I heard the facts are - There is no charge at all to access the area. There are two types of wristband. Free ones issues to residents and paid-for ones available to partygoers who wish to buy alcohol from any licensed premises within the secured zone. So theres no legal issue of restricting access because access is not restricted to anyone. True no one will be allowed to enter with glass containers or alcohol but this seems to be a reasonable restriction for safety reasons. There are some awkward issues to sort out with regard to residents arriving home with shopping that contains glass and with regard to residents having to pay to purchase alcohol from within the zone but with a little thought, effort and cooperation I can't see why, with a bit of tweaking, the plan shouldn't work. I don't see any of those who complain and criticise making any reasonable alternative suggestion as to how to better organise and fund a safer event![/p][/quote]Well for starters all properties residents should be issued a free past by post well before the event takes place so if they return home with there shopping regardless of the fact that they may well have alcohol in there shopping they should be allowed to enter with there shopping regardless of what is in the shopping bags. My main issues is with the Park event that used to be free for all ok I can understand maybe charging for the main entertainment but the stalls rely on lots of people spending the cash but if these stalls can only be visited after paying an outrageous fee they are hardly going to make the sort of money they once did when it was a free event. wippasnapper
  • Score: 0

3:39pm Tue 3 Jun 14

ZeeGee, ffs says...

"From what I heard the facts are -

There is no charge at all to access the area.
There are two types of wristband. Free ones issues to residents and paid-for ones available to partygoers who wish to buy alcohol from any licensed premises within the secured zone.

So theres no legal issue of restricting access because access is not restricted to anyone. True no one will be allowed to enter with glass containers or alcohol but this seems to be a reasonable restriction for safety reasons."

So there ARE restrictions to those who are legally carrying alcohol on that street.

Try not to contradict yourself.
"From what I heard the facts are - There is no charge at all to access the area. There are two types of wristband. Free ones issues to residents and paid-for ones available to partygoers who wish to buy alcohol from any licensed premises within the secured zone. So theres no legal issue of restricting access because access is not restricted to anyone. True no one will be allowed to enter with glass containers or alcohol but this seems to be a reasonable restriction for safety reasons." So there ARE restrictions to those who are legally carrying alcohol on that street. Try not to contradict yourself. ZeeGee, ffs
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree