The life of a mathematical genius is to be marked in a new musical piece by a celebrated pop duo.
The Pet Shop Boys are to use their new orchestral work about St Leonards-raised computer pioneer Alan Turing to call for “tens of thousands of men” imprisoned or fined for committing homosexual acts to be pardoned according to national newspaper reports.
Turing, who was raised and educated in St Leonards, was prosecuted for gross indecency in 1952 and underwent chemical castration rather than go to prison.
He died two years later from cyanide poisoning but was granted a posthumous pardon by the Queen on Christmas Eve last year.
A Man From The Future will be premiered at the Royal Albert hall during the Proms season on July 23.
- Shocking facts of child anorexia
- Toy shop staff voice fears over ‘stranded’ children
- Gang brutally attack group in gardens
- Street artist up to his old tricks again
- Colourful characters add some flavour to update of city game