The Argus'Hands off our rainbow crossing' (From The Argus)

Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.

Rainbow crossing in Madeira Drive, Brighton attracts support from businesses

The Argus: 'Hands off our rainbow crossing' 'Hands off our rainbow crossing'

Seafront businesses are urging a council to keep a temporary rainbow crossing to protect visitors from a busy road.

Traders in Madeira Drive, Brighton, want the rainbow crossing – which is set to be removed today – retained as a proper pedestrian crossing to make the seafront safer.

Neil Sykes, owner of The Modern World Gallery, said: “As it is Madeira Drive is ridiculously dangerous. The arches have been closed off and all the car parking is on that side – you can’t go on the pavement. There is no official crossing apart from the one opposite Palace Pier.

“It’s a matter of time before there’s a fatality in this road.”

Mr Sykes set up the Facebook community page Brighton Rainbow Crossing Forever on Wednesday to campaign for it to become a permanent fixture.

The page received more than 1,100 “likes” in two days.

Mr Sykes wants to see two pedestrian crossings brought in – one where the Rainbow crossing is and one near Concorde 2.

He is hopeful the case for health and safety can help speed up the application for new crossings which can take up to 18 months.

The rainbowcrossing, which is the first official one in Europe, was the idea of singer-songwriter Heather Peace to tie in with her single We Can Change.

The newly organised campaign has already gained the backing of MPs Caroline Lucas and Mike Weatherley.

Ms Lucas, Green party MP for Brighton Pavilion, said: “I think the crossing is a wonderful, colourful tribute to our vibrant city and symbolises its proud values of diversity and inclusiveness.

“There’s a clear desire from local people to keep the rainbow crossing and I’ve asked the local authority to make it permanent.”

Mr Weatherley, Conservative MP for Hove and Portslade, said: “The rainbow crossing is a great idea and I think that there would be huge support across the city to make it permanent.

"It certainly has my support.”

To support the campaign visit facebook.com/brightonrainbow?fref=ts.

Comments (19)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:46am Mon 16 Jun 14

brightonyorkie says...

I'm sure that all the seafront traders will also look forward to the loss of parking spaces associated with a formal crossing also.
I'm sure that all the seafront traders will also look forward to the loss of parking spaces associated with a formal crossing also. brightonyorkie
  • Score: -17

10:04am Mon 16 Jun 14

Eugenius says...

Although it only had a one week permission as an advert it was a beautiful and inspiring piece of street art. Highways legislation is strict as you can well imagine and it's a rather dangerous road for an ambiguous crossing. But as a try-out it seems to have been a triumph, so I hope we can see it return again for Pride, even if only temporarily while permission for a permanent crossing is sought.
Although it only had a one week permission as an advert it was a beautiful and inspiring piece of street art. Highways legislation is strict as you can well imagine and it's a rather dangerous road for an ambiguous crossing. But as a try-out it seems to have been a triumph, so I hope we can see it return again for Pride, even if only temporarily while permission for a permanent crossing is sought. Eugenius
  • Score: 10

11:08am Mon 16 Jun 14

eltnog says...

brightonyorkie wrote:
I'm sure that all the seafront traders will also look forward to the loss of parking spaces associated with a formal crossing also.
The crossing would involve no loss of parking....and anyway it's the loss of life that is more of a concern, traffic calming is badly needed in Madeira Drive.....not negative comments........
[quote][p][bold]brightonyorkie[/bold] wrote: I'm sure that all the seafront traders will also look forward to the loss of parking spaces associated with a formal crossing also.[/p][/quote]The crossing would involve no loss of parking....and anyway it's the loss of life that is more of a concern, traffic calming is badly needed in Madeira Drive.....not negative comments........ eltnog
  • Score: 11

11:26am Mon 16 Jun 14

rolivan says...

You could put crossings fifty yards apart and people would still cross the road in between a rainbow crossing isn't going to change anything except the colour of the road . How many people cross at traffic junctions on a red Light?
You could put crossings fifty yards apart and people would still cross the road in between a rainbow crossing isn't going to change anything except the colour of the road . How many people cross at traffic junctions on a red Light? rolivan
  • Score: 5

11:29am Mon 16 Jun 14

mstrong says...

Great idea, but the Madeira Drive rainbow crossing is NOT the first in Europe!

Utrecht in the Netherlands put in a rainbow crossing in 2013, and it's fully legal.

It IS the first in the UK though.

At the moment there are no dropped kerbs so it's no good for many people with disabilities as well as parents with buggies. There is also no allowance in UK signing law for a rainbow crossing - but as Madeira Drive is not a public highway that may not be a problem!
Great idea, but the Madeira Drive rainbow crossing is NOT the first in Europe! Utrecht in the Netherlands put in a rainbow crossing in 2013, and it's fully legal. It IS the first in the UK though. At the moment there are no dropped kerbs so it's no good for many people with disabilities as well as parents with buggies. There is also no allowance in UK signing law for a rainbow crossing - but as Madeira Drive is not a public highway that may not be a problem! mstrong
  • Score: 0

11:29am Mon 16 Jun 14

chemicaljax says...

Well, if it's so dangerous then put a normal crossing there, Hardly the busiest road now that the coaches don't come there..& I think people do know how to cross a road!
Well, if it's so dangerous then put a normal crossing there, Hardly the busiest road now that the coaches don't come there..& I think people do know how to cross a road! chemicaljax
  • Score: 1

11:30am Mon 16 Jun 14

Gary1965 says...

It was a pathetic gimmick.

Anything that 'celebrates diversity' is actually reinforcing divisions. Organisations which have an LGBT section are immediately showing that those people joining it are being cast from the main organisation or are voluntarily distancing themselves from their hetero colleagues.

The crossing wasn't even legally-enforcible.
It was a pathetic gimmick. Anything that 'celebrates diversity' is actually reinforcing divisions. Organisations which have an LGBT section are immediately showing that those people joining it are being cast from the main organisation or are voluntarily distancing themselves from their hetero colleagues. The crossing wasn't even legally-enforcible. Gary1965
  • Score: -2

12:01pm Mon 16 Jun 14

her professional says...

Gary1965 wrote:
It was a pathetic gimmick.

Anything that 'celebrates diversity' is actually reinforcing divisions. Organisations which have an LGBT section are immediately showing that those people joining it are being cast from the main organisation or are voluntarily distancing themselves from their hetero colleagues.

The crossing wasn't even legally-enforcible.
Hopefully one day there will genuinely be no need for "LGBT sections" as you put it, but so long as there are people around like you they will sadly be necessary.
[quote][p][bold]Gary1965[/bold] wrote: It was a pathetic gimmick. Anything that 'celebrates diversity' is actually reinforcing divisions. Organisations which have an LGBT section are immediately showing that those people joining it are being cast from the main organisation or are voluntarily distancing themselves from their hetero colleagues. The crossing wasn't even legally-enforcible.[/p][/quote]Hopefully one day there will genuinely be no need for "LGBT sections" as you put it, but so long as there are people around like you they will sadly be necessary. her professional
  • Score: 2

12:29pm Mon 16 Jun 14

Gary1965 says...

her professional wrote:
Gary1965 wrote:
It was a pathetic gimmick.

Anything that 'celebrates diversity' is actually reinforcing divisions. Organisations which have an LGBT section are immediately showing that those people joining it are being cast from the main organisation or are voluntarily distancing themselves from their hetero colleagues.

The crossing wasn't even legally-enforcible.
Hopefully one day there will genuinely be no need for "LGBT sections" as you put it, but so long as there are people around like you they will sadly be necessary.
So you think such divisions are necessary?

What gets me is that LGBT people seem to crave acceptance whilst placing themselves in groups that are split from the main body.

They cannot have it both ways.
[quote][p][bold]her professional[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gary1965[/bold] wrote: It was a pathetic gimmick. Anything that 'celebrates diversity' is actually reinforcing divisions. Organisations which have an LGBT section are immediately showing that those people joining it are being cast from the main organisation or are voluntarily distancing themselves from their hetero colleagues. The crossing wasn't even legally-enforcible.[/p][/quote]Hopefully one day there will genuinely be no need for "LGBT sections" as you put it, but so long as there are people around like you they will sadly be necessary.[/p][/quote]So you think such divisions are necessary? What gets me is that LGBT people seem to crave acceptance whilst placing themselves in groups that are split from the main body. They cannot have it both ways. Gary1965
  • Score: 11

1:03pm Mon 16 Jun 14

Gary1965 says...

Caroline Lucas is forced to contradict herself as she tried to suck up to the gays and lefties:

"“I think the crossing is a wonderful, colourful tribute to our vibrant city and symbolises its proud values of diversity and inclusiveness. "

If something is 'diverse', then it isn't included.
Caroline Lucas is forced to contradict herself as she tried to suck up to the gays and lefties: "“I think the crossing is a wonderful, colourful tribute to our vibrant city and symbolises its proud values of diversity and inclusiveness. " If something is 'diverse', then it isn't included. Gary1965
  • Score: 2

1:39pm Mon 16 Jun 14

Psssst says...

Gary1965 wrote:
Caroline Lucas is forced to contradict herself as she tried to suck up to the gays and lefties:

"“I think the crossing is a wonderful, colourful tribute to our vibrant city and symbolises its proud values of diversity and inclusiveness. "

If something is 'diverse', then it isn't included.
Oh dear someone who doesn't understand the meanings of diverse, one of which is "composed of distinct or unlike elements or qualities ", and therefore very inclusive.
[quote][p][bold]Gary1965[/bold] wrote: Caroline Lucas is forced to contradict herself as she tried to suck up to the gays and lefties: "“I think the crossing is a wonderful, colourful tribute to our vibrant city and symbolises its proud values of diversity and inclusiveness. " If something is 'diverse', then it isn't included.[/p][/quote]Oh dear someone who doesn't understand the meanings of diverse, one of which is "composed of distinct or unlike elements or qualities ", and therefore very inclusive. Psssst
  • Score: 2

2:48pm Mon 16 Jun 14

Gary1965 says...

Psssst wrote:
Gary1965 wrote:
Caroline Lucas is forced to contradict herself as she tried to suck up to the gays and lefties:

"“I think the crossing is a wonderful, colourful tribute to our vibrant city and symbolises its proud values of diversity and inclusiveness. "

If something is 'diverse', then it isn't included.
Oh dear someone who doesn't understand the meanings of diverse, one of which is "composed of distinct or unlike elements or qualities ", and therefore very inclusive.
If they are forming groups, then they don't consider themselves to be included in the masses.

OED 'Distinct - "Recognisably different in nature from something else of a similar type"

If one is recognisably different, one doesn't need to wear the applicable t-shirt in order to distinguish oneself from the crowd.

HTH
[quote][p][bold]Psssst[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gary1965[/bold] wrote: Caroline Lucas is forced to contradict herself as she tried to suck up to the gays and lefties: "“I think the crossing is a wonderful, colourful tribute to our vibrant city and symbolises its proud values of diversity and inclusiveness. " If something is 'diverse', then it isn't included.[/p][/quote]Oh dear someone who doesn't understand the meanings of diverse, one of which is "composed of distinct or unlike elements or qualities ", and therefore very inclusive.[/p][/quote]If they are forming groups, then they don't consider themselves to be included in the masses. OED 'Distinct - "Recognisably different in nature from something else of a similar type" If one is recognisably different, one doesn't need to wear the applicable t-shirt in order to distinguish oneself from the crowd. HTH Gary1965
  • Score: -6

3:25pm Mon 16 Jun 14

Psssst says...

Gary1965 wrote:
Psssst wrote:
Gary1965 wrote:
Caroline Lucas is forced to contradict herself as she tried to suck up to the gays and lefties:

"“I think the crossing is a wonderful, colourful tribute to our vibrant city and symbolises its proud values of diversity and inclusiveness. "

If something is 'diverse', then it isn't included.
Oh dear someone who doesn't understand the meanings of diverse, one of which is "composed of distinct or unlike elements or qualities ", and therefore very inclusive.
If they are forming groups, then they don't consider themselves to be included in the masses.

OED 'Distinct - "Recognisably different in nature from something else of a similar type"

If one is recognisably different, one doesn't need to wear the applicable t-shirt in order to distinguish oneself from the crowd.

HTH
Well done, you have managed to find a dictionary. Now why don't you look up the important part of the sentence the words "composed of".
[quote][p][bold]Gary1965[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Psssst[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gary1965[/bold] wrote: Caroline Lucas is forced to contradict herself as she tried to suck up to the gays and lefties: "“I think the crossing is a wonderful, colourful tribute to our vibrant city and symbolises its proud values of diversity and inclusiveness. " If something is 'diverse', then it isn't included.[/p][/quote]Oh dear someone who doesn't understand the meanings of diverse, one of which is "composed of distinct or unlike elements or qualities ", and therefore very inclusive.[/p][/quote]If they are forming groups, then they don't consider themselves to be included in the masses. OED 'Distinct - "Recognisably different in nature from something else of a similar type" If one is recognisably different, one doesn't need to wear the applicable t-shirt in order to distinguish oneself from the crowd. HTH[/p][/quote]Well done, you have managed to find a dictionary. Now why don't you look up the important part of the sentence the words "composed of". Psssst
  • Score: -2

4:32pm Mon 16 Jun 14

PorkyChopper says...

Gary1965 wrote:
her professional wrote:
Gary1965 wrote:
It was a pathetic gimmick.

Anything that 'celebrates diversity' is actually reinforcing divisions. Organisations which have an LGBT section are immediately showing that those people joining it are being cast from the main organisation or are voluntarily distancing themselves from their hetero colleagues.

The crossing wasn't even legally-enforcible.
Hopefully one day there will genuinely be no need for "LGBT sections" as you put it, but so long as there are people around like you they will sadly be necessary.
So you think such divisions are necessary?

What gets me is that LGBT people seem to crave acceptance whilst placing themselves in groups that are split from the main body.

They cannot have it both ways.
"They cannot have it both ways."

*Sniggers*
[quote][p][bold]Gary1965[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]her professional[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gary1965[/bold] wrote: It was a pathetic gimmick. Anything that 'celebrates diversity' is actually reinforcing divisions. Organisations which have an LGBT section are immediately showing that those people joining it are being cast from the main organisation or are voluntarily distancing themselves from their hetero colleagues. The crossing wasn't even legally-enforcible.[/p][/quote]Hopefully one day there will genuinely be no need for "LGBT sections" as you put it, but so long as there are people around like you they will sadly be necessary.[/p][/quote]So you think such divisions are necessary? What gets me is that LGBT people seem to crave acceptance whilst placing themselves in groups that are split from the main body. They cannot have it both ways.[/p][/quote]"They cannot have it both ways." *Sniggers* PorkyChopper
  • Score: 5

5:16pm Mon 16 Jun 14

bug eye says...

More zebra crossings, rainbow crossings etc. please and less complicated dangerous traffic light schemes, seven dials has proven the traffic flows better and slower with zebra crossings and all road users are more responsible and vigilant. traffic light crossings are expensive, look ugly, cause clutter, environmental pollution, and are dangerous.
More zebra crossings, rainbow crossings etc. please and less complicated dangerous traffic light schemes, seven dials has proven the traffic flows better and slower with zebra crossings and all road users are more responsible and vigilant. traffic light crossings are expensive, look ugly, cause clutter, environmental pollution, and are dangerous. bug eye
  • Score: 1

6:01pm Mon 16 Jun 14

Roundbill says...

Ms Lucas, Green party MP for Brighton Pavilion, said: “There’s a clear desire from local people to keep the rainbow crossing and I’ve asked the local authority to make it permanent.”
I wish I'd been a fly on the wall when Saint Caroline "asked" MISTER Kitcat to submit to the will of the people. Bet he wet himself.
Ms Lucas, Green party MP for Brighton Pavilion, said: “There’s a clear desire from local people to keep the rainbow crossing and I’ve asked the local authority to make it permanent.” I wish I'd been a fly on the wall when Saint Caroline "asked" MISTER Kitcat to submit to the will of the people. Bet he wet himself. Roundbill
  • Score: 4

8:20pm Mon 16 Jun 14

MasonStorm says...

bug eye wrote:
More zebra crossings, rainbow crossings etc. please and less complicated dangerous traffic light schemes, seven dials has proven the traffic flows better and slower with zebra crossings and all road users are more responsible and vigilant. traffic light crossings are expensive, look ugly, cause clutter, environmental pollution, and are dangerous.
Maybe you should stay at home if you find traffic lights complicated and dangerous.

Seven Dials is a mess with pedestrians walking all over the road. They don't even use the new crossings!
[quote][p][bold]bug eye[/bold] wrote: More zebra crossings, rainbow crossings etc. please and less complicated dangerous traffic light schemes, seven dials has proven the traffic flows better and slower with zebra crossings and all road users are more responsible and vigilant. traffic light crossings are expensive, look ugly, cause clutter, environmental pollution, and are dangerous.[/p][/quote]Maybe you should stay at home if you find traffic lights complicated and dangerous. Seven Dials is a mess with pedestrians walking all over the road. They don't even use the new crossings! MasonStorm
  • Score: 3

11:49pm Mon 16 Jun 14

Gary1965 says...

"Now why don't you look up the important part of the sentence the words "composed of"."

I'm fully aware that LGBT people are members of the human race.

The fact is that these people seek to set themselves apart whilst decrying the fact that others don't consider them to be part of normal society.
"Now why don't you look up the important part of the sentence the words "composed of"." I'm fully aware that LGBT people are members of the human race. The fact is that these people seek to set themselves apart whilst decrying the fact that others don't consider them to be part of normal society. Gary1965
  • Score: 6

6:52pm Wed 18 Jun 14

MasonStorm says...

Is this an April Fools?
Is this an April Fools? MasonStorm
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree