The ArgusProtesters’ anger at maternity unit (From The Argus)

Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.

Protesters’ anger at maternity unit

The Argus: Protesters’ anger at maternity unit Protesters’ anger at maternity unit

Campaigners warn NHS bosses will have “blood on their hands” following a controversial decision to permanently downgrade a hospital maternity unit.

Members of the three clinical commissioning groups (CCGs) covering East Sussex agreed this week to have a midwife-run maternity service at Eastbourne District General Hospital.

Consultant services, plus children’s inpatient facilities, will be based at Conquest Hospital in St Leonards.

A separate midwife unit will continue to operate at Crowborough.

Consultant-led units had previously been based at both Eastbourne and St Leonards but the Eastbourne one was temporarily downgraded a year ago because of safety fears caused by problems recruiting staff.

The change means women suffering complications in labour will have to travel to St Leonards or alternative hospitals in Brighton or Kent.

Campaigners who successfully fought to stop the service being downgraded eight years ago are furious and warn lives will be lost.

They also say the 20 mile network of roads between Eastbourne and St Leonards is “deplorable” and will add to patients’ distress.

Health bosses say the change was necessary to maintain a safe, long-term maternity service.

Save the DGH campaign chairwoman Liz Walke said: “We are devastated at this decision and it is going to lead to a tragedy.

“When something does happen, the people responsible for this change will have that on their conscience. They will have blood on their hands.”

East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust medical director for strategy, Andy Slater, said: “The trust’s primary concern has always been, and will continue to be, the safety of babies, mothers and young children.

“This decision puts an end to the long running issue of the provision of maternity services in East Sussex with the recognition that it is far safer and clinically sustainable to provide services from one consultant led obstetric unit.

“It represents the best way forward to ensure safe and high quality services for mothers, babies and children in East Sussex.”

Members of the East Sussex health overview and scrutiny committee will decide next month whether the decision is in the best interests of local health services.

They have the power to refer the decision to Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt if they are not satisfied.

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:39pm Fri 27 Jun 14

hursthill says...

I blame all those Brighton nightclubs & discos, frequented by Sussex girls, for the excess demand on Maternity Units.
I understand there is now a 10 month waiting list.
I blame all those Brighton nightclubs & discos, frequented by Sussex girls, for the excess demand on Maternity Units. I understand there is now a 10 month waiting list. hursthill
  • Score: 2

4:30pm Fri 27 Jun 14

Goldenwight says...

Wasn't the headline yesterday that all maternity units were going to carry on as before?
Wasn't the headline yesterday that all maternity units were going to carry on as before? Goldenwight
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree