A taxi driver was caught speeding whilst almost twice over the drink-drive limit.

Gary Verlander, 53, of Riverside in Horley, was caught travelling at 89mph at junction 10a of the M23 at 11am on June 27.

When pulled over by a police patrol, he said was using his Vauxhall Astra to transport a piece of medical equipment to Spire Gatwick Park Hospital in Horley.

When he was breathalysed he had 68 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of his breath when the legal limit is 35 microgrammes.

Verlander pleaded guilty to drink-driving at Crawley Magistrates' Court on July 17 and was banned from driving for 17 months.

He was also ordered to pay a £100 fine and a £20 victim surcharge.

Sergeant Carl Knapp said: "There is no excuse for driving while under the influence of drink or drugs.

"We won't tolerate it and the courts have shown that just because you use your car for work they will not let people get away with it either.

"There is a hardcore of people who continue to put themselves and others at risk by driving when they are in no fit state to and we will do all we can to get them off the roads to keep people safe."

Two more motorists have been charged with drink-driving in June, bringing the total charged with offences to 102.

Kim Wolf, 59, of Ferry Road in Littlehampton, was arrested at 5.45pm on June 2 after his van crashed in Barnham Road, Barnham.

Wolf, has been charged with drink-driving and released on bail to appear at Worthing Magistrates' Court on 11 November.

Maria De-Wet, 63, of Kings Ride in Alfriston was arrested at 10.15am on June 10 after officers saw her car swerving in Fort Road, Eastbourne.

De-Wet, has been charged with drink-driving and released on bail to appear at Hastings Magistrates' Court on September 3.

People in Sussex can text officers on 65999 with the details of people they suspect of drink or drug driving or visit www.operationcrackdown.co.uk.

If you know someone is driving while over the limit or after taking drugs call 999.