Hove mum of two found drunk in charge of her son at 11.30am

Brighton Magistrates’ Court

Brighton Magistrates’ Court

First published in News
Last updated
by , Chief reporter

A MOTHER has been warned she could be jailed after being found drunk while in charge of her two-year-old son at 11.30am.

The Hove mother of two – who The Argus cannot name to protect her children – was yesterday found guilty of neglect.

The 31-year-old was found looking dishevelled on the floor of her toddler’s bedroom by police officers and a social worker who had to break into her home.

When questioned by police she tried to blame her own children for “telling lies”.

Roger Booth, prosecuting, told Brighton Magistrates’ Court: “This case comes about because this defendant had a duty of care to her son aged two and she was very, very drunk and, as a consequence, was unable to care for her child.

“If you are looking after a child who is two years old and you are so drunk you can’t do anything, that is exposing that child to risk of harm.

“You were very drunk when the police arrived and not capable of looking after yourself, never mind a two-year-old,” he told the mother.

Social worker Abigail Gonzales first tried to visit the mother at 9am on the morning of November 25. When she did not answer the door or her mobile phone, Ms Gonzales went away – returning at 11am, but the mother still did not answer.

She still did not answer her door when four police officers arrived and banged on the door with truncheons, before eventually smashing the door in.

Describing the state of the mother when she finally entered the child’s bedroom, Ms Gonzales told the court: “She was crouched on the bedroom floor with her son in front of her. She was very dishevelled, her eyes were very bloodshot. She was swaying and appeared intoxicated.”

Ms Gonzales called the toddler’s name and he came running to her, she said. She then held him for more than an hour before he was taken into protective custody while his mother was arrested.

PC James Breeds said about the mother: “She was kneeling on the floor almost holding on to the child for stability. She wasn’t very steady and probably the only thing stopping her falling over was the child. I remember her saying ‘the child lies’.

“She appeared incredibly drunk. She smelled of intoxicating liquor and her skin had a very sweaty appearance to it.

“She smelled much stronger than someone from a nightclub, for example, and I deal with that every week.”

When interviewed at Hollingbury police station 12 hours later, officers said she still smelled of alcohol. She told officers: “Children lie. My child got angry with me and children lie.”

Giving evidence in court, the mother said: “The evening before I was having a bit of a bad time with the older boy. After that my friend came over and we were talking about how he was turning into a teenager.

“I had drunk a bottle of wine, but I wouldn’t say I was drunk. I had only drunk the evening before, not that morning. I would never hurt my children. I’m a single mum and I try to do my best.”

Magistrates ruled that the mother must have been drunk because her account of the day’s events varied wildly from the other witnesses. They found her guilty of causing wilful neglect to the two-year-old.

The mother was warned that they will consider sending her to prison when she is sentenced on August 20.

Her two boys are being looked after by foster parents.

Comments (43)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:24am Thu 24 Jul 14

monkeymoo says...

Why did Kate and Gerry McCann never face charges of child neglect?
Surely going out for drinks with friends whilst leaving your very young children at home constitutes that!?
Why did Kate and Gerry McCann never face charges of child neglect? Surely going out for drinks with friends whilst leaving your very young children at home constitutes that!? monkeymoo
  • Score: 89

8:53am Thu 24 Jul 14

Skidrow says...

How do you say that in Portuguese?
How do you say that in Portuguese? Skidrow
  • Score: 0

8:53am Thu 24 Jul 14

s&k says...

A very sad story.
A very sad story. s&k
  • Score: 30

9:26am Thu 24 Jul 14

Caute3 says...

Toxicology reports anyone? Seems this society, particularly the police (and the ambulance service) are all too intent on saying someone is drunk because they can 'smell it'. They said the same about my mother when she was killed but guess what - blood samples taken at the time, showed she had no drink or alcohol in her system whatsoever (but guess what? The witness certainly did!)
Toxicology reports anyone? Seems this society, particularly the police (and the ambulance service) are all too intent on saying someone is drunk because they can 'smell it'. They said the same about my mother when she was killed but guess what - blood samples taken at the time, showed she had no drink or alcohol in her system whatsoever (but guess what? The witness certainly did!) Caute3
  • Score: 4

9:27am Thu 24 Jul 14

Caute3 says...

monkeymoo wrote:
Why did Kate and Gerry McCann never face charges of child neglect?
Surely going out for drinks with friends whilst leaving your very young children at home constitutes that!?
Sssshh...because they're middle class!
[quote][p][bold]monkeymoo[/bold] wrote: Why did Kate and Gerry McCann never face charges of child neglect? Surely going out for drinks with friends whilst leaving your very young children at home constitutes that!?[/p][/quote]Sssshh...because they're middle class! Caute3
  • Score: 28

9:38am Thu 24 Jul 14

tykemison says...

Spot on caute3 (sorry about your mum by the way).People wake up, social services have new powers thanks to that sinister Cameron and his cohorts whereby it has become much easier to take children from"unfit"homes (basically uneducated poor people) and literally"give"to persons unable to conceive(puts on tin hat) which I put to you are"gay"couples, coincidence? I think not, oh, before anyone gets defensive and accuses me of being homophobic, anyone who reads my posts knows thats not true, just stating facts (sadly).
Spot on caute3 (sorry about your mum by the way).People wake up, social services have new powers thanks to that sinister Cameron and his cohorts whereby it has become much easier to take children from"unfit"homes (basically uneducated poor people) and literally"give"to persons unable to conceive(puts on tin hat) which I put to you are"gay"couples, coincidence? I think not, oh, before anyone gets defensive and accuses me of being homophobic, anyone who reads my posts knows thats not true, just stating facts (sadly). tykemison
  • Score: -25

9:43am Thu 24 Jul 14

gaay buoy says...

Caute3 wrote:
monkeymoo wrote:
Why did Kate and Gerry McCann never face charges of child neglect?
Surely going out for drinks with friends whilst leaving your very young children at home constitutes that!?
Sssshh...because they're middle class!
Stupid person
[quote][p][bold]Caute3[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]monkeymoo[/bold] wrote: Why did Kate and Gerry McCann never face charges of child neglect? Surely going out for drinks with friends whilst leaving your very young children at home constitutes that!?[/p][/quote]Sssshh...because they're middle class![/p][/quote]Stupid person gaay buoy
  • Score: -27

9:59am Thu 24 Jul 14

Old Ale Man says...

28 days and rehab, with lots support, its not the first time!!!
28 days and rehab, with lots support, its not the first time!!! Old Ale Man
  • Score: 7

10:00am Thu 24 Jul 14

hubby says...

tykemison wrote:
Spot on caute3 (sorry about your mum by the way).People wake up, social services have new powers thanks to that sinister Cameron and his cohorts whereby it has become much easier to take children from"unfit"home
s (basically uneducated poor people) and literally"give"to persons unable to conceive(puts on tin hat) which I put to you are"gay"couples, coincidence? I think not, oh, before anyone gets defensive and accuses me of being homophobic, anyone who reads my posts knows thats not true, just stating facts (sadly).
They have to keep the paedophile MP's stocked up with children somehow!
[quote][p][bold]tykemison[/bold] wrote: Spot on caute3 (sorry about your mum by the way).People wake up, social services have new powers thanks to that sinister Cameron and his cohorts whereby it has become much easier to take children from"unfit"home s (basically uneducated poor people) and literally"give"to persons unable to conceive(puts on tin hat) which I put to you are"gay"couples, coincidence? I think not, oh, before anyone gets defensive and accuses me of being homophobic, anyone who reads my posts knows thats not true, just stating facts (sadly).[/p][/quote]They have to keep the paedophile MP's stocked up with children somehow! hubby
  • Score: 9

10:02am Thu 24 Jul 14

TIMBURRY says...

In cases like this why cant the police use the stations breathaliser. How many people have been arrested on suspicion of being drunk and gone to court on the strength they smelt of alcohol.
In cases like this why cant the police use the stations breathaliser. How many people have been arrested on suspicion of being drunk and gone to court on the strength they smelt of alcohol. TIMBURRY
  • Score: 6

10:05am Thu 24 Jul 14

Hooitness says...

The screaming kids next door make me want to drink in the mornings, god only knows what a temptation it must be for the parents.

Oh, and I blame the Greens (for no other reason than they have stupid faces).
The screaming kids next door make me want to drink in the mornings, god only knows what a temptation it must be for the parents. Oh, and I blame the Greens (for no other reason than they have stupid faces). Hooitness
  • Score: 24

10:07am Thu 24 Jul 14

Hooitness says...

TIMBURRY wrote:
In cases like this why cant the police use the stations breathaliser. How many people have been arrested on suspicion of being drunk and gone to court on the strength they smelt of alcohol.
I think when they can't stand up and blame their insobriety on their children, a breathalyser is a moot point.
[quote][p][bold]TIMBURRY[/bold] wrote: In cases like this why cant the police use the stations breathaliser. How many people have been arrested on suspicion of being drunk and gone to court on the strength they smelt of alcohol.[/p][/quote]I think when they can't stand up and blame their insobriety on their children, a breathalyser is a moot point. Hooitness
  • Score: 22

10:07am Thu 24 Jul 14

cookie_brighton says...

monkeymoo wrote:
Why did Kate and Gerry McCann never face charges of child neglect?
Surely going out for drinks with friends whilst leaving your very young children at home constitutes that!?
Agree.........when this government are arresting people returning from Syria........alleged offences in another country......so neglect, happening in Portugal by a British couple is not deemed as an offence.
[quote][p][bold]monkeymoo[/bold] wrote: Why did Kate and Gerry McCann never face charges of child neglect? Surely going out for drinks with friends whilst leaving your very young children at home constitutes that!?[/p][/quote]Agree.........when this government are arresting people returning from Syria........alleged offences in another country......so neglect, happening in Portugal by a British couple is not deemed as an offence. cookie_brighton
  • Score: 0

10:12am Thu 24 Jul 14

cookie_brighton says...

monkeymoo wrote:
Why did Kate and Gerry McCann never face charges of child neglect?
Surely going out for drinks with friends whilst leaving your very young children at home constitutes that!?
Agree.........this government are arresting people returning from Syria for alleged offences committed in that country, so why not the McCanns, who admitted leaving their children ...alone.......they should be arrested, charged with the crime of neglect and their children put into care for them committing that offence, as anyone committing that offence at home would suffer that consequence...if not stop arresting people from returning from foreign countries for alleged offences..........tw
o tier system.
[quote][p][bold]monkeymoo[/bold] wrote: Why did Kate and Gerry McCann never face charges of child neglect? Surely going out for drinks with friends whilst leaving your very young children at home constitutes that!?[/p][/quote]Agree.........this government are arresting people returning from Syria for alleged offences committed in that country, so why not the McCanns, who admitted leaving their children ...alone.......they should be arrested, charged with the crime of neglect and their children put into care for them committing that offence, as anyone committing that offence at home would suffer that consequence...if not stop arresting people from returning from foreign countries for alleged offences..........tw o tier system. cookie_brighton
  • Score: -4

10:17am Thu 24 Jul 14

s&k says...

hubby wrote:
tykemison wrote: Spot on caute3 (sorry about your mum by the way).People wake up, social services have new powers thanks to that sinister Cameron and his cohorts whereby it has become much easier to take children from"unfit"home s (basically uneducated poor people) and literally"give"to persons unable to conceive(puts on tin hat) which I put to you are"gay"couples, coincidence? I think not, oh, before anyone gets defensive and accuses me of being homophobic, anyone who reads my posts knows thats not true, just stating facts (sadly).
They have to keep the paedophile MP's stocked up with children somehow!
There's an alarming number of children who 'disappear' from council care every year; literally just disappear.
[quote][p][bold]hubby[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tykemison[/bold] wrote: Spot on caute3 (sorry about your mum by the way).People wake up, social services have new powers thanks to that sinister Cameron and his cohorts whereby it has become much easier to take children from"unfit"home s (basically uneducated poor people) and literally"give"to persons unable to conceive(puts on tin hat) which I put to you are"gay"couples, coincidence? I think not, oh, before anyone gets defensive and accuses me of being homophobic, anyone who reads my posts knows thats not true, just stating facts (sadly).[/p][/quote]They have to keep the paedophile MP's stocked up with children somehow![/p][/quote]There's an alarming number of children who 'disappear' from council care every year; literally just disappear. s&k
  • Score: 17

10:19am Thu 24 Jul 14

tykemison says...

hubby wrote:
tykemison wrote:
Spot on caute3 (sorry about your mum by the way).People wake up, social services have new powers thanks to that sinister Cameron and his cohorts whereby it has become much easier to take children from"unfit"home

s (basically uneducated poor people) and literally"give"to persons unable to conceive(puts on tin hat) which I put to you are"gay"couples, coincidence? I think not, oh, before anyone gets defensive and accuses me of being homophobic, anyone who reads my posts knows thats not true, just stating facts (sadly).
They have to keep the paedophile MP's stocked up with children somehow!
Hubby, your probably closer to the truth than anyone realises, anyone caught abusing the vulnerable should be castrated, end of (pardon the pun) pure scum.
[quote][p][bold]hubby[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tykemison[/bold] wrote: Spot on caute3 (sorry about your mum by the way).People wake up, social services have new powers thanks to that sinister Cameron and his cohorts whereby it has become much easier to take children from"unfit"home s (basically uneducated poor people) and literally"give"to persons unable to conceive(puts on tin hat) which I put to you are"gay"couples, coincidence? I think not, oh, before anyone gets defensive and accuses me of being homophobic, anyone who reads my posts knows thats not true, just stating facts (sadly).[/p][/quote]They have to keep the paedophile MP's stocked up with children somehow![/p][/quote]Hubby, your probably closer to the truth than anyone realises, anyone caught abusing the vulnerable should be castrated, end of (pardon the pun) pure scum. tykemison
  • Score: 10

10:51am Thu 24 Jul 14

Valentine anne says...

Surely if there is a drink problem it would be better treated than sending the person to jail.
Surely if there is a drink problem it would be better treated than sending the person to jail. Valentine anne
  • Score: 11

10:56am Thu 24 Jul 14

Youlikemyjugs says...

An absolutely disgusting human being in charge of the most important job in the world - looking after young children.

Peaches Geldof; this sub-human monstrosity - both examples of extreme ignorance and selfishness.

If only her children could permanently be taken away from her - for the sake of the children they deserve a chance to experience what a normal loving home can be like.
An absolutely disgusting human being in charge of the most important job in the world - looking after young children. Peaches Geldof; this sub-human monstrosity - both examples of extreme ignorance and selfishness. If only her children could permanently be taken away from her - for the sake of the children they deserve a chance to experience what a normal loving home can be like. Youlikemyjugs
  • Score: -6

11:12am Thu 24 Jul 14

tykemison says...

Youlikemyjugs wrote:
An absolutely disgusting human being in charge of the most important job in the world - looking after young children.

Peaches Geldof; this sub-human monstrosity - both examples of extreme ignorance and selfishness.

If only her children could permanently be taken away from her - for the sake of the children they deserve a chance to experience what a normal loving home can be like.
Yes God.
[quote][p][bold]Youlikemyjugs[/bold] wrote: An absolutely disgusting human being in charge of the most important job in the world - looking after young children. Peaches Geldof; this sub-human monstrosity - both examples of extreme ignorance and selfishness. If only her children could permanently be taken away from her - for the sake of the children they deserve a chance to experience what a normal loving home can be like.[/p][/quote]Yes God. tykemison
  • Score: 5

11:30am Thu 24 Jul 14

martyt says...

monkeymoo wrote:
Why did Kate and Gerry McCann never face charges of child neglect?
Surely going out for drinks with friends whilst leaving your very young children at home constitutes that!?
don t be silly they are both professionals ,and not a single parent ,so the law is different for them
[quote][p][bold]monkeymoo[/bold] wrote: Why did Kate and Gerry McCann never face charges of child neglect? Surely going out for drinks with friends whilst leaving your very young children at home constitutes that!?[/p][/quote]don t be silly they are both professionals ,and not a single parent ,so the law is different for them martyt
  • Score: 8

12:14pm Thu 24 Jul 14

Quiterie says...

monkeymoo wrote:
Why did Kate and Gerry McCann never face charges of child neglect?
Surely going out for drinks with friends whilst leaving your very young children at home constitutes that!?
Probably for the same reason that David Cameron has sanctioned a fresh investigation by Scotland Yard, costing millions of pounds when other missing children get forgotten about.
[quote][p][bold]monkeymoo[/bold] wrote: Why did Kate and Gerry McCann never face charges of child neglect? Surely going out for drinks with friends whilst leaving your very young children at home constitutes that!?[/p][/quote]Probably for the same reason that David Cameron has sanctioned a fresh investigation by Scotland Yard, costing millions of pounds when other missing children get forgotten about. Quiterie
  • Score: 10

12:15pm Thu 24 Jul 14

stevo!! . says...

Probably out corrupt police service who decided not to throw the book at them. It makes me sick.
Probably out corrupt police service who decided not to throw the book at them. It makes me sick. stevo!! .
  • Score: -20

1:20pm Thu 24 Jul 14

David523 says...

Absolutely repulsive. Seen plenty other mothers like this round Brighton, Hove too, city is full of privileged mess ups who ruin their kids lives with such craziness. No fathers in their lives or anyone to stop or even be allowed to question their behaviour! This is what modern Lefty parenting has come to.
Absolutely repulsive. Seen plenty other mothers like this round Brighton, Hove too, city is full of privileged mess ups who ruin their kids lives with such craziness. No fathers in their lives or anyone to stop or even be allowed to question their behaviour! This is what modern Lefty parenting has come to. David523
  • Score: 11

1:24pm Thu 24 Jul 14

David523 says...

Hooitness wrote:
TIMBURRY wrote:
In cases like this why cant the police use the stations breathaliser. How many people have been arrested on suspicion of being drunk and gone to court on the strength they smelt of alcohol.
I think when they can't stand up and blame their insobriety on their children, a breathalyser is a moot point.
Exactly. All you sick fools trying to defend her is this too close to the bone for you, are you also single parent females who have a history with drink and denial perhaps?
[quote][p][bold]Hooitness[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]TIMBURRY[/bold] wrote: In cases like this why cant the police use the stations breathaliser. How many people have been arrested on suspicion of being drunk and gone to court on the strength they smelt of alcohol.[/p][/quote]I think when they can't stand up and blame their insobriety on their children, a breathalyser is a moot point.[/p][/quote]Exactly. All you sick fools trying to defend her is this too close to the bone for you, are you also single parent females who have a history with drink and denial perhaps? David523
  • Score: 6

1:27pm Thu 24 Jul 14

David523 says...

tykemison wrote:
hubby wrote:
tykemison wrote:
Spot on caute3 (sorry about your mum by the way).People wake up, social services have new powers thanks to that sinister Cameron and his cohorts whereby it has become much easier to take children from"unfit"home


s (basically uneducated poor people) and literally"give"to persons unable to conceive(puts on tin hat) which I put to you are"gay"couples, coincidence? I think not, oh, before anyone gets defensive and accuses me of being homophobic, anyone who reads my posts knows thats not true, just stating facts (sadly).
They have to keep the paedophile MP's stocked up with children somehow!
Hubby, your probably closer to the truth than anyone realises, anyone caught abusing the vulnerable should be castrated, end of (pardon the pun) pure scum.
So should this woman have her genitalia sliced also? She abused her child after all. Sounds very much like you're either a lonely bitter man who cant get a date, or a lonelier women whos a teeny bit of a man hater. Which is it?
[quote][p][bold]tykemison[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]hubby[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tykemison[/bold] wrote: Spot on caute3 (sorry about your mum by the way).People wake up, social services have new powers thanks to that sinister Cameron and his cohorts whereby it has become much easier to take children from"unfit"home s (basically uneducated poor people) and literally"give"to persons unable to conceive(puts on tin hat) which I put to you are"gay"couples, coincidence? I think not, oh, before anyone gets defensive and accuses me of being homophobic, anyone who reads my posts knows thats not true, just stating facts (sadly).[/p][/quote]They have to keep the paedophile MP's stocked up with children somehow![/p][/quote]Hubby, your probably closer to the truth than anyone realises, anyone caught abusing the vulnerable should be castrated, end of (pardon the pun) pure scum.[/p][/quote]So should this woman have her genitalia sliced also? She abused her child after all. Sounds very much like you're either a lonely bitter man who cant get a date, or a lonelier women whos a teeny bit of a man hater. Which is it? David523
  • Score: -1

1:28pm Thu 24 Jul 14

David523 says...

Youlikemyjugs wrote:
An absolutely disgusting human being in charge of the most important job in the world - looking after young children.

Peaches Geldof; this sub-human monstrosity - both examples of extreme ignorance and selfishness.

If only her children could permanently be taken away from her - for the sake of the children they deserve a chance to experience what a normal loving home can be like.
Well said.
[quote][p][bold]Youlikemyjugs[/bold] wrote: An absolutely disgusting human being in charge of the most important job in the world - looking after young children. Peaches Geldof; this sub-human monstrosity - both examples of extreme ignorance and selfishness. If only her children could permanently be taken away from her - for the sake of the children they deserve a chance to experience what a normal loving home can be like.[/p][/quote]Well said. David523
  • Score: 4

1:54pm Thu 24 Jul 14

cookie_brighton says...

Quiterie wrote:
monkeymoo wrote:
Why did Kate and Gerry McCann never face charges of child neglect?
Surely going out for drinks with friends whilst leaving your very young children at home constitutes that!?
Probably for the same reason that David Cameron has sanctioned a fresh investigation by Scotland Yard, costing millions of pounds when other missing children get forgotten about.
and look at the number of police officers who went to Portugal recently............
30.....a lot, just to dig two holes.......a jolly paid by the taxpayer.
[quote][p][bold]Quiterie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]monkeymoo[/bold] wrote: Why did Kate and Gerry McCann never face charges of child neglect? Surely going out for drinks with friends whilst leaving your very young children at home constitutes that!?[/p][/quote]Probably for the same reason that David Cameron has sanctioned a fresh investigation by Scotland Yard, costing millions of pounds when other missing children get forgotten about.[/p][/quote]and look at the number of police officers who went to Portugal recently............ 30.....a lot, just to dig two holes.......a jolly paid by the taxpayer. cookie_brighton
  • Score: 6

2:35pm Thu 24 Jul 14

calro75 says...

If she was found blind drunk that early in the day it would suggest to me that she may well have a problem. We can all point the finger but we don't know the full story. I'm not suggesting for a moment that what she did was right but maybe she's in serious need of help. Given time and the right kind of support she may be fine and make a good mother. Being an at home parent is probably one of the hardest jobs in the world, 24/7 with no break. It must be even harder on your own. If she truly is an alcoholic no hoper this will soon become apparent anyway and lets hope the children will get the best outcome possible.
If she was found blind drunk that early in the day it would suggest to me that she may well have a problem. We can all point the finger but we don't know the full story. I'm not suggesting for a moment that what she did was right but maybe she's in serious need of help. Given time and the right kind of support she may be fine and make a good mother. Being an at home parent is probably one of the hardest jobs in the world, 24/7 with no break. It must be even harder on your own. If she truly is an alcoholic no hoper this will soon become apparent anyway and lets hope the children will get the best outcome possible. calro75
  • Score: 12

2:44pm Thu 24 Jul 14

s&k says...

calro75 wrote:
If she was found blind drunk that early in the day it would suggest to me that she may well have a problem. We can all point the finger but we don't know the full story. I'm not suggesting for a moment that what she did was right but maybe she's in serious need of help. Given time and the right kind of support she may be fine and make a good mother. Being an at home parent is probably one of the hardest jobs in the world, 24/7 with no break. It must be even harder on your own. If she truly is an alcoholic no hoper this will soon become apparent anyway and lets hope the children will get the best outcome possible.
At last, some compassion. Yes, what she did was reprehensible but without knowing her circumstances we shouldn't judge blindly.
[quote][p][bold]calro75[/bold] wrote: If she was found blind drunk that early in the day it would suggest to me that she may well have a problem. We can all point the finger but we don't know the full story. I'm not suggesting for a moment that what she did was right but maybe she's in serious need of help. Given time and the right kind of support she may be fine and make a good mother. Being an at home parent is probably one of the hardest jobs in the world, 24/7 with no break. It must be even harder on your own. If she truly is an alcoholic no hoper this will soon become apparent anyway and lets hope the children will get the best outcome possible.[/p][/quote]At last, some compassion. Yes, what she did was reprehensible but without knowing her circumstances we shouldn't judge blindly. s&k
  • Score: 8

3:03pm Thu 24 Jul 14

Goldenwight says...

TIMBURRY wrote:
In cases like this why cant the police use the stations breathaliser. How many people have been arrested on suspicion of being drunk and gone to court on the strength they smelt of alcohol.
Basically, because breathalyzer and blood tests only measure blood alcohol levels and not intoxication. Some people have a much higher tolerance for alcohol (generally NOT the same people you see sitting in the park at 9am swigging Special Brew) so witness evidence is a more reliable indicator in theory.

But I certainly agree with you that it would be a very useful defence- which is why I suspect that the Police do not use it.

As an aside, once upon a time I was working night shifts in Tesco and finishing work at midnight. One night a crate of whisky fell on me and I was drenched in it. As luck would happen I was stopped by the Police driving home on spurious grounds and they were very reluctant to let me go despite passing two breath tests.
[quote][p][bold]TIMBURRY[/bold] wrote: In cases like this why cant the police use the stations breathaliser. How many people have been arrested on suspicion of being drunk and gone to court on the strength they smelt of alcohol.[/p][/quote]Basically, because breathalyzer and blood tests only measure blood alcohol levels and not intoxication. Some people have a much higher tolerance for alcohol (generally NOT the same people you see sitting in the park at 9am swigging Special Brew) so witness evidence is a more reliable indicator in theory. But I certainly agree with you that it would be a very useful defence- which is why I suspect that the Police do not use it. As an aside, once upon a time I was working night shifts in Tesco and finishing work at midnight. One night a crate of whisky fell on me and I was drenched in it. As luck would happen I was stopped by the Police driving home on spurious grounds and they were very reluctant to let me go despite passing two breath tests. Goldenwight
  • Score: 3

3:35pm Thu 24 Jul 14

Iain Chambers says...

How will jailing this woman help her or her children in any way at all? If this woman is an alcoholic then she is ill and needs treatment rather than punishment.
How will jailing this woman help her or her children in any way at all? If this woman is an alcoholic then she is ill and needs treatment rather than punishment. Iain Chambers
  • Score: 0

5:19pm Thu 24 Jul 14

sussexram40 says...

monkeymoo wrote:
Why did Kate and Gerry McCann never face charges of child neglect?
Surely going out for drinks with friends whilst leaving your very young children at home constitutes that!?
Perhaps because they are both doctors with friends in high places, top lawyers and PR consultants working for them and I heard there was likely a freemasonry connection as well.
A couple living on benefits on a council estate with no connections wouldn't have stood a chance.
In this country it's all about who you know.
[quote][p][bold]monkeymoo[/bold] wrote: Why did Kate and Gerry McCann never face charges of child neglect? Surely going out for drinks with friends whilst leaving your very young children at home constitutes that!?[/p][/quote]Perhaps because they are both doctors with friends in high places, top lawyers and PR consultants working for them and I heard there was likely a freemasonry connection as well. A couple living on benefits on a council estate with no connections wouldn't have stood a chance. In this country it's all about who you know. sussexram40
  • Score: 6

5:56pm Thu 24 Jul 14

her professional says...

tykemison wrote:
Spot on caute3 (sorry about your mum by the way).People wake up, social services have new powers thanks to that sinister Cameron and his cohorts whereby it has become much easier to take children from"unfit"home
s (basically uneducated poor people) and literally"give"to persons unable to conceive(puts on tin hat) which I put to you are"gay"couples, coincidence? I think not, oh, before anyone gets defensive and accuses me of being homophobic, anyone who reads my posts knows thats not true, just stating facts (sadly).
Quoting facts? And your stats for children taken from "unfit" homes and given to gay couples are.............?
[quote][p][bold]tykemison[/bold] wrote: Spot on caute3 (sorry about your mum by the way).People wake up, social services have new powers thanks to that sinister Cameron and his cohorts whereby it has become much easier to take children from"unfit"home s (basically uneducated poor people) and literally"give"to persons unable to conceive(puts on tin hat) which I put to you are"gay"couples, coincidence? I think not, oh, before anyone gets defensive and accuses me of being homophobic, anyone who reads my posts knows thats not true, just stating facts (sadly).[/p][/quote]Quoting facts? And your stats for children taken from "unfit" homes and given to gay couples are.............? her professional
  • Score: 1

7:55pm Thu 24 Jul 14

wippasnapper says...

And so she should be jailed for neglecting her two year old Childs welfare
And so she should be jailed for neglecting her two year old Childs welfare wippasnapper
  • Score: 0

9:22pm Thu 24 Jul 14

John Steed says...

what is going on here, she appeared drunk. either she was and it was proved by a breath test or some toxicology tests or even the old sobriety test or else it was the opinion of the police who battered the door down she was drunk, Obviously there is history here that has not been reported on, but from what is written a prison sentence will help nobody least of all the kids, social workers should be OBLIGED to work with families, not against them,
what is going on here, she appeared drunk. either she was and it was proved by a breath test or some toxicology tests or even the old sobriety test or else it was the opinion of the police who battered the door down she was drunk, Obviously there is history here that has not been reported on, but from what is written a prison sentence will help nobody least of all the kids, social workers should be OBLIGED to work with families, not against them, John Steed
  • Score: 5

9:34pm Thu 24 Jul 14

Maxwell's Ghost says...

So social services were already involved with the family and arrived to check on them at 9am and when they couldn't get an answer called the police who broke in and found the mother drunk.
You can bet that there was already a history of alcohol and concerns but the state don't like to take kids away from junkie and **** parents so often leave them in their care.
Clearly in this case, the mother had more than usual.
And before you state this is untrue, I have a number of friends who provide emergency and respite care for foster children whose parents are addicts and who are allowed to stay within their families most of the time.
So social services were already involved with the family and arrived to check on them at 9am and when they couldn't get an answer called the police who broke in and found the mother drunk. You can bet that there was already a history of alcohol and concerns but the state don't like to take kids away from junkie and **** parents so often leave them in their care. Clearly in this case, the mother had more than usual. And before you state this is untrue, I have a number of friends who provide emergency and respite care for foster children whose parents are addicts and who are allowed to stay within their families most of the time. Maxwell's Ghost
  • Score: 8

10:06pm Thu 24 Jul 14

Spongebobsbiatch says...

Vile woman but this is sad that these kids May one day read this! Poor poor children
Vile woman but this is sad that these kids May one day read this! Poor poor children Spongebobsbiatch
  • Score: 0

10:07pm Thu 24 Jul 14

Spongebobsbiatch says...

And hardly the same as the mcaans is it! There child has never been seen since!
And hardly the same as the mcaans is it! There child has never been seen since! Spongebobsbiatch
  • Score: 1

11:41pm Thu 24 Jul 14

sussexram40 says...

Best thing would be for the woman to receive treatment and care for her drink problem (if she has one) such that her children can safely be reunited with their mother in the future (under social worker supervision of course).
Best thing would be for the woman to receive treatment and care for her drink problem (if she has one) such that her children can safely be reunited with their mother in the future (under social worker supervision of course). sussexram40
  • Score: 3

8:09am Fri 25 Jul 14

Getreal you lot says...

When did the police go back to using truncheons???
When did the police go back to using truncheons??? Getreal you lot
  • Score: 0

8:11am Fri 25 Jul 14

Getreal you lot says...

And why are we never allowed to leave any message about travellers. Can't think why.
And why are we never allowed to leave any message about travellers. Can't think why. Getreal you lot
  • Score: 1

11:13pm Fri 25 Jul 14

getThisCoalitionOut says...

I hope this story is correct and that this woman does deserve prison due to her having been neglectful of her children on many previous occasions however it is a fact that social workers in the UK are paid a bonus when they remove children from people's homes and they are put into care and sometimes they are forcibly adopted. I don't think social workers should get a bonus for doing this - that opens it up to abuse. Poor kids involved in this.
I hope this story is correct and that this woman does deserve prison due to her having been neglectful of her children on many previous occasions however it is a fact that social workers in the UK are paid a bonus when they remove children from people's homes and they are put into care and sometimes they are forcibly adopted. I don't think social workers should get a bonus for doing this - that opens it up to abuse. Poor kids involved in this. getThisCoalitionOut
  • Score: -1

8:25pm Sat 26 Jul 14

Watchdog50 says...

TIMBURRY wrote:
In cases like this why cant the police use the stations breathaliser. How many people have been arrested on suspicion of being drunk and gone to court on the strength they smelt of alcohol.
Because there's no legislation that would allow such use. EBTIs (station breathalisers) are only for use in the case of offences under the road traffic act. Under this act there's also the alternative offence of failing to provide a sample for analysis. For any other offence, including drunk and disorderly, it's purely down to the officers own judgement, supported by any available evidence of the defendant's behaviour. Once again, nothing to do with the police. It's the law.
[quote][p][bold]TIMBURRY[/bold] wrote: In cases like this why cant the police use the stations breathaliser. How many people have been arrested on suspicion of being drunk and gone to court on the strength they smelt of alcohol.[/p][/quote]Because there's no legislation that would allow such use. EBTIs (station breathalisers) are only for use in the case of offences under the road traffic act. Under this act there's also the alternative offence of failing to provide a sample for analysis. For any other offence, including drunk and disorderly, it's purely down to the officers own judgement, supported by any available evidence of the defendant's behaviour. Once again, nothing to do with the police. It's the law. Watchdog50
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree