Steve Myall sent in this first published print of the Victoria Fountain in Brighton.
The print was issued for sale by publisher WH Mason of King’s Road when the fountain was unveiled on May 26, 1846.
Water was supplied by underground pipes from the Brighton Water Works reservoir on the west side of Race Hill. It was drawn off through a pipe into Pool Valley where it was used by the street-cleaning water carts.
In the background are good views of the Albion and Royal York Hotels. Mason managed to publish three prints on the day of the event they were illustrating – the other two were of Captain Warner’s Experiment and the opening of the London and Brighton Railway Terminus.
Mr Myall has an extensive collection of prints and has written a book on the Montpelier area of Brighton.