Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Residents evacuated after gas explosion fear during Worthing fire
Residents were evacuated from their homes amid fears of a gas explosion during a house fire.
Fire crews received several calls to a sever fire in Ashdown Road, Worthing just before 1am this morning.
Fire fighters then discovered the blaze was affecting the gas supply to the building, which could not be disconnected.
Homes around the fire were evacuated and one woman and a cat were led to safety from neighbouring properties.
Despite initial fears that there were people trapped inside the burning house, fire crews found it was empty after a search.
A spokeswoman for West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said that the cause of the intense blaze in the ground and first floors of the property was currently being investigated.
Comments are closed on this article.