Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Police: 'Keep children away from Lewes Bonfire'
This is the 1cm-long banger which was removed from a child’s eye following the Lewes Bonfire last year.
The child was one of number of people injured during the event which saw 170 seek medical attention. And this year Sussex Police advise parents to keep their children at home.
Chief Superintendent Robin Smith said: “As a parent you need to think whether this is an appropriate place to take young children.”
Seaford Bonfire Society (SBS), which held its bonfire a few days ago, this year banned super-strong bangers after a member was blinded last year.
SBS banned rook-scarers – rookies – after Marilyn Binning was seriously hurt following last year’s Lewes Bonfire, which sees many bonfire societies, including Seaford’s, marching through the streets.
Ms Binning was with the society last year when a rogue rookie exploded at her feet and damaged her sight. She has not ruled out attending this year.
SBS spokesman Kevin Gordon said that Mrs Binning was still a member of the society and therefore could still parade with the group.
He believed her injuries had improved since last year although she still had trouble with her vision. He appealed for people not to throw rookies into the crowd.
He said: “What happened to Marilyn proves the effect that throwing rookies can have. People can be seriously injured and it is not worth it.”
Meanwhile, a man who was deafened in last year’s bonfire, spoke out against behaving dangerously with fireworks.
The victim, who did not wish to be named, described how he went to St John’s Ambulance after temporarily losing his hearing.
He said: “Someone threw a banger that landed a few feet in front. I felt the blast on my face. There was a ringing sound.
“I could not hear the voices of anyone around me. After a few minutes I realised it was not going to go away. It’s not an experience I’d like to repeat.”
Comments are closed on this article.