A hero neighbour dragged two teenage girls to safety from their burning Hove home last night.
Firefighters were called to a basement flat in Brunswick Place, Hove, at around 2:30 this morning.
The blaze had broken out when one of the two girls who lived in the flat fell asleep while cooking.
A neighbour heard the alarm blaring and broke into the flat where he found both girls in bed.
After a number of attempts to rouse them, he dragged them both through the thick smoke out the front door to safety.
When firefighters arrived the flames had been doused by an automatic sprinkler system - but the flat was severely smoke-damaged.
All three were given oxygen and taken to hospital to be treated for the effects of smoke inhalation.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Three masked men burst into student house, threaten them and steal their laptops, phones and money
- UPDATE: Squat stabbings - suspects released on bail
- West Pier revival is back on the agenda
- Builder still in critical condition after 20 ft fall from Stanmer Park building site
- 01273 customers ready for the dialling code shake-up