A hero neighbour dragged two teenage girls to safety from their burning Hove home last night.
Firefighters were called to a basement flat in Brunswick Place, Hove, at around 2:30 this morning.
The blaze had broken out when one of the two girls who lived in the flat fell asleep while cooking.
A neighbour heard the alarm blaring and broke into the flat where he found both girls in bed.
After a number of attempts to rouse them, he dragged them both through the thick smoke out the front door to safety.
When firefighters arrived the flames had been doused by an automatic sprinkler system - but the flat was severely smoke-damaged.
All three were given oxygen and taken to hospital to be treated for the effects of smoke inhalation.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Up to 300 council posts could go in new budget proposals
- Youngster in late night two car crash dies of injuries
- Woman lifted off ground and taken into Brighton alleyway by man who tried to rape her
- UPDATE: Motorcyclist leaves hospital with broken ribs after crash with van after swerving to avoid another
- Scam gang conned elderly out of £250k