A hero neighbour dragged two teenage girls to safety from their burning Hove home last night.
Firefighters were called to a basement flat in Brunswick Place, Hove, at around 2:30 this morning.
The blaze had broken out when one of the two girls who lived in the flat fell asleep while cooking.
A neighbour heard the alarm blaring and broke into the flat where he found both girls in bed.
After a number of attempts to rouse them, he dragged them both through the thick smoke out the front door to safety.
When firefighters arrived the flames had been doused by an automatic sprinkler system - but the flat was severely smoke-damaged.
All three were given oxygen and taken to hospital to be treated for the effects of smoke inhalation.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Cranes prepare to demolish gutted arcade on Eastbourne Pier
- Police release CCTV image as part of Brighton hotel rape investigation
- Hove man left with horrible facial injuries after gang of thugs attack him in street
- VIDEO: Police catch drug driver who can't walk in a straight line
- Monty Python super fan finds the bright side of his life