A bid to bring the Rugby World Cup to Sussex has been pressed home by a politician.
Brighton Kemptown MP Simon Kirby, has met senior officers of the Rugby Football Union to press the case for Brighton to be included as a host city for the 2015 competition.
American Express Community Stadium in Falmer has been included on a “long list” of 17 venues that could be selected to host World Cup matches.
Mr Kirby, who is parliamentary private secretary to the Minister for Sport, said: “I have experienced first hand the |excellent facilities available at the Amex.
“I know that this state of the art stadium would be an ideal setting for an international tournament as prestigious at the Rugby World Cup.
“The city itself offers an exciting destination for visiting rugby fans, within easy reach of the capital and international transport hubs.
“I am sure that my constituents and residents of Brighton and Hove would be extremely enthusiastic hosts to fans and teams from around the world.”
A decision on the final ten to 12 venues is due to be made early next year.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Brighton's growth to be reined in by Brexit
- LATEST: Mother of murdered Lauren Masters' heart felt promise to Tyler and Oscar
- Mother disowns woman who was feared missing in Tunisia
- One year anniversary event for Shoreham Airshow victims
- Student houses forced to close after landlords lose appeals