A bid to bring the Rugby World Cup to Sussex has been pressed home by a politician.
Brighton Kemptown MP Simon Kirby, has met senior officers of the Rugby Football Union to press the case for Brighton to be included as a host city for the 2015 competition.
American Express Community Stadium in Falmer has been included on a “long list” of 17 venues that could be selected to host World Cup matches.
Mr Kirby, who is parliamentary private secretary to the Minister for Sport, said: “I have experienced first hand the |excellent facilities available at the Amex.
“I know that this state of the art stadium would be an ideal setting for an international tournament as prestigious at the Rugby World Cup.
“The city itself offers an exciting destination for visiting rugby fans, within easy reach of the capital and international transport hubs.
“I am sure that my constituents and residents of Brighton and Hove would be extremely enthusiastic hosts to fans and teams from around the world.”
A decision on the final ten to 12 venues is due to be made early next year.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Well known Hove jewellers close after 57 years in business
- Roadworks on one of Sussex's busiest roads to close lanes and see speed limit drop to 40mph
- Snow alert: Five of the best pictures as the white stuff falls in Sussex again
- Pensioners petition for bus access
- Volunteers create butterfly haven