A bid to bring the Rugby World Cup to Sussex has been pressed home by a politician.
Brighton Kemptown MP Simon Kirby, has met senior officers of the Rugby Football Union to press the case for Brighton to be included as a host city for the 2015 competition.
American Express Community Stadium in Falmer has been included on a “long list” of 17 venues that could be selected to host World Cup matches.
Mr Kirby, who is parliamentary private secretary to the Minister for Sport, said: “I have experienced first hand the |excellent facilities available at the Amex.
“I know that this state of the art stadium would be an ideal setting for an international tournament as prestigious at the Rugby World Cup.
“The city itself offers an exciting destination for visiting rugby fans, within easy reach of the capital and international transport hubs.
“I am sure that my constituents and residents of Brighton and Hove would be extremely enthusiastic hosts to fans and teams from around the world.”
A decision on the final ten to 12 venues is due to be made early next year.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Fire takes hold at historic seafront bath house
- 75-year-old woman mugged in her own home
- December is the worst month for road deaths in Sussex this year with scores of crashes and casualties this week
- ‘Death trap’ cycle lane claims fourth victim
- Interim worker cost double the money of sacked housing chief