A shopkeeper has accused council officials of endangering animals by cutting back bushes.
Mike Dalley, the owner of Cardome card shop in St James’s Street, said a family of rabbits was |living in bushes in New Steine Gardens.
But yesterday morning (November 12) council workers began cutting the foliage, putting them at risk, he believes.
He said: “We have lots of flora and fauna there.
“They just did it out of the blue.”
He added hedges were normally cut in thirds on a three-year cycle to ensure habitat is retained.
Mr Dalley said he had been told the hedges were too tall and needed to be cut on health and safety grounds.
He added: “It is such drastic action they have taken.”
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- CCTV catches ‘scum’ snatching charity tin
- Gatwick chaos as IT glitch grounds planes
- Where did the sun go? Heavy rain set to end the bank holiday
- Semi final joy for tap dancing team
- Gay woman tells Tory: give me a clear answer