Report this comment
  • "I wonder what cushy little number he has lined up for himself at head office or Gatwick ?"
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.


  • Enter the above word in the box below

Brighton police chief to retire

Chief Superintendent Graham Bartlett pictured at The Argus Achievement Awards earlier this month with Giles York

Chief Superintendent Graham Bartlett pictured at The Argus Achievement Awards earlier this month with Giles York

First published in News

Brighton and Hove divisional commander Chief Superintendent Graham Bartlett has announced he will retire from Sussex Police on March 31, 2013.

Chief Superintendent Graham Bartlett has been head of Brighton and Hove police since January 2009.

In a statement he said: "I have taken the decision to retire from the police service next March. By that time I will have had the great privilege of holding the office of constable for 30 years.

"To have served in every rank at Brighton and Hove has been a great honour and over the years I have made many great friends here.

"I truly believe that our city is a very special place with vibrant and diverse people and communities served by truly remarkable and capable people in all sectors.

"I have been humbled to be part of the partnerships which have made Brighton and Hove a safer and healthier place to live, work and visit.

"I will be leaving the service at a time of great change but I know that whatever the future holds Sussex Police will continue to have public service at its heart.

"I will, of course, be around for sometime yet and it will very much be business as usual until the day I leave. I would like to thank everyone for their support, friendship and counsel over the years.

"This includes the local media who clearly support policing in the city and have sometimes, quite rightly, challenged me and kept me on my toes.”

A spokeswoman for Sussex Police said a process to identify the new divisional commander for Brighton and Hove will start in the New Year.

For more reaction see tomorrow's Argus.

See the latest news headlines from The Argus:

More news from The Argus

Follow @brightonargus

The Argus: Daily Echo on Facebook - facebook.com/southerndailyecho Like us on Facebook

The Argus: Google+ Add us to your circles on Google+

Comments (4)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree