Legal challenge to Worthing academy bid

Parents protesting outside Worthing High School earlier this year

Parents protesting outside Worthing High School earlier this year Buy this photo

First published in News by

Teachers and parents have launched a legal challenge against a school’s academy conversion following a third day of strike action.

Staff at Worthing High School walked out for the third time in five months as bosses forge ahead with controversial plans to become an academy.

Around 16 teachers went on strike yesterday – 33% of those eligible to do so – following previous strikes on July 11 and October 23.

The school is set to convert to academy status on December 1 following a strongly contested campaign.

Worthing High Academy Action Group (WHAAG) announced that they have now mounted a legal challenge as they claim the school’s application was invalid.

Following the governors’ approval of the plans on May 30 this year, the school’s trust board members were also required to give the green light.

‘Incompetence’

Guidelines state that a minimum of half the total trustees – of which there are ten – must vote.

However, only four were at the meeting.

A WHAAG spokeswoman said: “This matter is now the subject of a legal challenge by the National Union of Teachers and WHAAG have requested an investigation by the DfE or other appropriate body.

“Mr Cohen the chair of governors has either knowingly progressed an invalid and misleading academy application or presided over mind boggling incompetence.”

Karen Hayler, the school’s business manager, acknowledged the mistake and thanked WHAAG for bringing it to their attention.

She added: “The decision made is still valid in company law. It is best practice to meet again and vote and that was done on November 9.

“We have informed the DfE and it is not an issue.”

She added that the school remained open yesterday for all children with a reduced curriculum.

They are set to formally convert to academy status on December 1 after West Sussex County Council signed off the final required documents.

The application for academy status is now with the Secretary of State who must respond by November 30.

See the latest news headlines from The Argus:

More news from The Argus

Follow @brightonargus

The Argus: Daily Echo on Facebook - facebook.com/southerndailyecho Like us on Facebook

The Argus: Google+ Add us to your circles on Google+

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:32pm Sat 17 Nov 12

no pasaran says...

good god, this school is run by a bunch of incompetent idiots. why on earth should they be let loose with our kids' education without local democratic control through the council?
good god, this school is run by a bunch of incompetent idiots. why on earth should they be let loose with our kids' education without local democratic control through the council? no pasaran
  • Score: 0

9:33am Mon 19 Nov 12

RationalMan says...

Absolutely shocking. The Chair of Governors clearly has no idea what he's doing and should do the decent thing and resign.
Absolutely shocking. The Chair of Governors clearly has no idea what he's doing and should do the decent thing and resign. RationalMan
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree