A husband has proposed to his wife – 18 months after their wedding.
Nirmal Patel married Bravestha at an arranged ceremony in India in April 2011 and she moved to Brighton six months later.
To celebrate a year of her living in the UK, Mr Patel decided to drop down on one knee. The 41-year-old said: “I thought it would be nice to celebrate a year and proposing is something that I had never done.
“We had been to an English wedding and she loved the white dresses and talks about it a lot.
“I wanted to make the one year anniversary special for her, something to remember.”
Taking her for a walk on the beach on a wet and windy day, the couple eventually reached a beach hut with ‘Come in Bravestha’ on the door.
Inside, the hut had been decorated with a winter wonderland theme.
There were cut flowers with pictures and words embossed on the petals and a book with ten poems penned by Mr Patel and pictures of the couple on the table.
An engagement ring was hidden in a bird cage which was covered in velvet.
Mr Patel, who arranged the surprise with help from staff from www.theproposers.co.uk, said: “She was over the moon and loved the decorations.
“The team worked wonders.”
He added: “Neither of us are young and we have both been married before, but we feel like teenagers at the moment.”
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Frustration boils over as train passengers struggle to get home
- Villagers thwart suspected jewellery thief by chasing him down the street and grabbing him
- Goldstone glory days to be remembered 20 years on
- £20m parking profit but drivers spend 16 working days a year in traffic
- Firefighters to respond to emergency ambulance calls in pilot project