A man fled police, drove to the top level of a multi-storey car park and then threatened to jump.
Officers were set to arrest him following an incident with a girlfriend when he sped off in his car – with his partner still with him – yesterday morning.
The chase ended at the top storey of the Brighton Marina car park.
He climbed out of the car and jumped over railings where he smoked a cigarette.
Police raced in and grabbed his girlfriend, taking her to safety.
There were also claims he had doused himself in petrol, although this had not been confirmed.
He had previously allegedly poured petrol over his girlfriend at a friend’s house.
A police source said: “There was a domestic incident and the man and woman ended up driving to Brighton Marina in the small hours.
“Police tried to stop them and he drove off.
“He drove to the car park and ended up on the wrong side of the railings. He was eventually talked down.”
Bus routes passing through the marina were cancelled as the area was shut for a number of hours.
Last night a Sussex Police spokeswoman said: “A 29-year-old man from Brighton was arrested on suspicion of actual bodily harm and threats to kill at Brighton Marina at 7.20am.
“The arrests relate to an incident earlier in the morning involving a woman known to him.
“The woman suffered cuts and bruises and will be seeking medical treatment.
“On attendance at the marina it was discovered there was a strong smell of accelerant at the location and East Sussex Fire and Rescue were on standby but not required.”
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Hot food spat delays bus by twenty minutes
- Thousands of pounds worth of origami dogs made from tenners could be let loose on the streets of Brighton
- Boy left "shaken" after stranger grabs him in Tesco while he looked at Easter eggs
- Supermum saves daughter from choking on gobstopper
- Man in fourth floor flat plunge believed to have been climbing on ledge to try and get into room with locked door