Report this comment
  • "
    Hove Actually wrote:
    An East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service spokesman added that it could not be confirmed who would be liable for the damage to the vehicles as it would be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

    WRONG... if the car was legally parked then Trumpton do not have the right to damage it and claim it was the car drivers fault, the council are to blame here but ESFR will foot the bill
    This is nonsense. The driver should be liable for the damage. They may not have been parked illegally, but they were parked inconsideratley. If they hadn't partially blocked the road then no damage would have been caused to their vehicle.
    I don't see how it's the council's fault either. There are no parking restrictions around Park Crescent Terrace. The driver could have found a parking space nearby."
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.


  • Enter the above word in the box below

Woman fights for life after Brighton flat fire

Woman fights for life after Brighton flat fire

Damage to the flat in Park Crescent Terrace, Brighton

Burnt items pulled from the flat in Park Crescent Terrace, Brighton

A car damaged as firefighters made their way to the flat fire in Park Crescent Terrace, Brighton

A note left by firefighters after a car was damaged as they made their way to the flat fire in Park Crescent Terrace, Brighton

First published in News by , Assistant News Editor

A woman is fighting for her life after lying unconscious in her burning bedroom as firefighters battled to reach her through parked cars.

Fire crews told The Argus they had lost six “vital minutes” getting to the blaze because of “inconsiderately” parked cars.

A fire engine had to force its way past two parked cars in Park Crescent Terrace, Brighton, including a BMW 320, to get to the trapped woman, named locally as Julie Marriott.

Cars were legally parked on both sides of the narrow road, including on a single yellow line and in a council bay, but had not left enough room for emergency vehicles.

It took eight minutes for the fire engine to reach the scene from Preston Circus fire station, rather than two |minutes if the road had been clear.

A passer-by raised the alarm after spotting flames flickering in the first floor window at 11.20pm on Wednesday evening.

Fire investigators believe the blaze was started by a tea light. Charred bedding and a burnt mattress have been thrown out of the flat.

Fire crews said the Brighton and Hove City Council-owned flat rented by the woman who is in her early 50s had no smoke alarm.

Watch manager Richard Chamberlain said the detector would have raised the alarm at least 30 minutes earlier.

A man who lives upstairs from Ms Marriott said after calling 999 the passer-by who spotted the blaze banged on the doors of the other eight residents in the red brick three-storey block.

Smoke logged

The neighbour said: “I rushed down and the door was open but there was a big dog going mad behind the door so we couldn’t get in.

“The fire brigade was there minutes later. When two fire fighters brought her out I was convinced she was dead, but they did CPR and she was sitting up in the ambulance.”

Watch manager Richard Chamberlain said: “The fire was dying down when we got there but the room was very heavily smoke logged. It had been quite a severe fire.

“The injuries were life threatening. She was in a very bad way when we got her out. She had severe smoke inhalation and burns to her legs.”

Another neighbour described Ms Marriott, who was in a critical but stable condition last night, as a “lovely lady”.

Mr Chamberlain said their rescue efforts were seriously hampered by cars.

He said: “Parked cars had to be almost pushed out of the way by our fire appliance, which was also damaged, to get to the incident.

“People really need to think about where they park because it delayed us getting crews into the building by five minutes.

“Cars weren’t illegally parked but inconsiderately parked on both sides of the road with room only for a small car.

“People need to think – next time it could be their house going up in flames or their relatives trapped inside.

“Lives are at risk and every minute counts. It’s frustrating and happens in Brighton all the time.”

One local resident said parking in the area was a nightmare, adding: “At night it’s terrible. Even small cars struggle to get through.”

Fire crews were forced to park 300 metres away when a schoolboy was trapped inside his burning family home in Toronto Terrace, Hanover, in December 2010.

Smoke alarms

And in January 2009 crews struggled to reach a home in St Mary Magdalene Street after three-year-old Stanley Townsend turned on a cooker, accidently starting a blaze.

A council spokeswoman said the council was not legally obliged to install smoke alarms in all council flats.

She said: “At this time we are concerned foremost with the welfare of the tenant.

“Regarding fire safety, current government guidance for purpose built blocks of flats does not require a fire alarm system to be fitted in the common way. “There is no legislation that requires fire detector systems to be fitted inside a unit of accommodation used as a single private dwelling but it is council policy to fit smoke alarms when properties are refurbished and rewired and many flats in council owned blocks do already have these.

“We work in partnership with East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service which is able to carry out home safety visits and fit smoke detectors where necessary, free of charge.”

An East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service spokesman added that it could not be confirmed who would be liable for the damage to the vehicles as it would be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

See the latest news headlines from The Argus:

More news from The Argus

Follow @brightonargus

The Argus: Daily Echo on Facebook - facebook.com/southerndailyecho Like us on Facebook

The Argus: Google+ Add us to your circles on Google+

Local Businesses

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree