Could you see yourself living at this font-tastic home?
The former chapel, which is Grade-II listed, was part of a school for more than a century before it was converted.
While no one can doubt it is inspiring, it seems that buyers have been put off buying the Grade-II listed home in Mayfield by its £1 million price tag.
Now property developer Weston Homes has lowered the price to £795,000 to try to convert buyers’ minds.
The property was built in 1868 and designed by renowned architect Edward Pugin, son of Palace of Westminster architect Augustus Pugin. At the time of his death in 1875, Edward Pugin had designed and completed more than 100 Catholic churches.
The Mayfield structure forms part of Mayfield College, which for more than a century was run as an independent boys’ boarding school by a Roman Catholic order of religious brothers known as the Xaverian Brothers. In 1977 the school was taken over by Bellerbys College, which also runs private schools in London, Brighton, Cambridge and Oxford, but closed as a school in 2005 and, following a two-year refurbishment, reopened as a home.
The home, which is being marketed by Savills, retains many restored church features including a gold patterned ceiling, stained glass windows and the stone carvings.
The Grade II listed chapel has a mezzanine master suite, a ground floor guest bedroom and the use of a communal gym.
It faces out onto the restored cricket pitch with countryside views and is part of an unusual and historic set of properties which also includes the college’s great hall.
For more details visit www.weston-homes.com or www.savills.com
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- A bit of Bondi to Brighton? Plans revealed for new £3 million swimming and leisure hotspot
- Nationalist march in Brighton postponed as EDL switch attention to Oxford after sex abuse scandal
- Brighton woman was so drunk behind the wheel she swerved across the A27 at just 30mph
- One of Brighton's oldest shops could be torn down to make way for entrance to new shopping square
- Missing man's car is found at Beachy Head