Students’ Union officials have condemned the violence that marred a university visit from an MP.
A spokesman for the university’s students’ union said officials had met Mr Weatherley in previous weeks to raise their concerns about student funding, university outsourcing and the effect of squatting legislation.
The spokesman added: “At the heart of the Students’ Union is a belief in constructive debate and discussion between individuals who hold different views.
“We condemn any use of violence on our campus. Students, staff and visitors should be able to enjoy our campus as a safe space, free from threatening or intimidating behaviour.”
“We hope this incident will not discourage our societies from arranging events in the future.”
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Mother who was drunk whilst looking after her two-year-old son ordered to complete 60 hours of community service
- Water company releases untreated waste water into the sea to prevent widespread flooding
- VIDEO: Fire hit garage gutted by flames
- UKIP could target Tory’s Sussex seat
- £16 profit for My Little Pony nine-hour lectures