Students’ Union officials have condemned the violence that marred a university visit from an MP.
A spokesman for the university’s students’ union said officials had met Mr Weatherley in previous weeks to raise their concerns about student funding, university outsourcing and the effect of squatting legislation.
The spokesman added: “At the heart of the Students’ Union is a belief in constructive debate and discussion between individuals who hold different views.
“We condemn any use of violence on our campus. Students, staff and visitors should be able to enjoy our campus as a safe space, free from threatening or intimidating behaviour.”
“We hope this incident will not discourage our societies from arranging events in the future.”
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- JAILED: The man who stabbed his mother 11 times in a drug-fuelled haze and cut off his genitals
- 22-year-old man found dead in Brighton property
- Wheel v i360: Battle continues as both sides remain defiant
- It's the best location for taking pictures: High praise for Sussex from award winning photographer
- "There are many worse crimes than this" - the verdict on MPs new EP which is unlikely to float too many musical boats