Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
University of Sussex students condemn MP visit violence
11:10am Monday 19th November 2012 in News
Students’ Union officials have condemned the violence that marred a university visit from an MP.
A spokesman for the university’s students’ union said officials had met Mr Weatherley in previous weeks to raise their concerns about student funding, university outsourcing and the effect of squatting legislation.
The spokesman added: “At the heart of the Students’ Union is a belief in constructive debate and discussion between individuals who hold different views.
“We condemn any use of violence on our campus. Students, staff and visitors should be able to enjoy our campus as a safe space, free from threatening or intimidating behaviour.”
“We hope this incident will not discourage our societies from arranging events in the future.”
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Search called off for woman who was swept out to sea after night out in Brighton
- Guitar belonging to The Cure rocker fetches £22,000 for charity
- Brighton claw hammer robbery victim tells of her terror
- Rail passenger misery as almost half of Southern Rail trains run late
- Brighton's Burning The Clocks set to go ahead today - without fire and fireworks
Comments are closed on this article.