Students’ Union officials have condemned the violence that marred a university visit from an MP.
A spokesman for the university’s students’ union said officials had met Mr Weatherley in previous weeks to raise their concerns about student funding, university outsourcing and the effect of squatting legislation.
The spokesman added: “At the heart of the Students’ Union is a belief in constructive debate and discussion between individuals who hold different views.
“We condemn any use of violence on our campus. Students, staff and visitors should be able to enjoy our campus as a safe space, free from threatening or intimidating behaviour.”
“We hope this incident will not discourage our societies from arranging events in the future.”
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Axe found in street following reports of fight
- Mother of girl, 5, found abandoned in Brighton traced
- Expert: No new EU referendum and no independence for Brighton and Hove
- Three teenagers accused of killing "hero" granddad
- Hands-on fitness challenge for paralysed cyclist, 60