Students’ Union officials have condemned the violence that marred a university visit from an MP.
A spokesman for the university’s students’ union said officials had met Mr Weatherley in previous weeks to raise their concerns about student funding, university outsourcing and the effect of squatting legislation.
The spokesman added: “At the heart of the Students’ Union is a belief in constructive debate and discussion between individuals who hold different views.
“We condemn any use of violence on our campus. Students, staff and visitors should be able to enjoy our campus as a safe space, free from threatening or intimidating behaviour.”
“We hope this incident will not discourage our societies from arranging events in the future.”
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Man in custody after bar explosion
- Plea to place more restrictions on multiple occupant homes in Brighton
- Critics says radical Brighton road scheme is not good enough
- Apprentice candidates storm Brighton
- Brighton Old Town - inclucing theatre and synagogue - on at risk register