A burglar who ran down a woman on the way to raid a shop and left her for dead has been jailed for more than five years.
Christopher Chan ran down Michelle Greest on Brighton seafront, stole two cars, committed a string of motoring offences and burgled a Portslade flooring shop twice in the early hours of July 15.
Miss Greest broke bones in ten places, had to have two metal plates fitted to her lower legs and still walks with a limp. The former marathon competitor is still unable to run.
Yesterday (November 19) Chan, 31, of no fixed address, was jailed for five years and eight months at Lewes Crown Court.
Jailed: Christopher Chan
Judge David Rennie said: “In all my years presiding in court I have never come across someone with such complete and utter contempt for the law and all those you come into contact with, ruining their lives in every way imaginable.
“On the morning you mowed down Michelle Greest, true to form, you busied yourself with committing more offences showing a complete disregard for society and its rules.”
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Brighton is an open and international city and must remain so say civic leaders
- Kyle: Corbyn has let his country down
- Teenage boy denies three counts of rape
- Joe Wicks, aka The Body Coach, will be in Brighton today
- Five miles of tailbacks caused by serious crash involving motorcyclist