A gang of foreign “bulk” shoplifters toured Sussex targeting branches of the same chain store, police believe.
Suspicious behaviour was reported at Superdrug shops in Seaford and Uckfield last week.
At the chain’s outlet in St James’s Street, Brighton, cosmetics including Max Factor make-up were swept into a bag and stolen.
Staff called police when they saw the people they thought were involved at the store again on Friday.
Three men and a woman, all in their 20s and from Romania, were arrested in a car in Brighton. They gave addresses in Birmingham, Essex and London.
They were released on bail until December while police investigate further.
Four people from Romania were arrested after reports of suspicious activity at Zara in Churchill Square, Brighton, shortly before 1pm. Foil-lined bags were seized.
Nicolae Marinescu, 27, of no fixed address, and Moroi Constantin, 29, from London, were charged with going equipped for theft. They were each given a community order at Brighton Magistrates’ Court.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- GCSE results coverage across Brighton, Hove and Sussex
- Brighton university student among men killed at Camber Sands
- Police and Crime Commissioner investigated over possible breach of electoral rules
- Former Cricketers pub manager killed in motorbike crash
- UPDATED: Camber Sands deaths - victims named