Tributes have been paid to a fitness enthusiast who died after banging his head at a leisure centre.
Peter Betts was playing football with friends at King Alfred Leisure Centre in Hove when he fell awkwardly.
Staff at the Brighton and Hove City Council-owned centre rushed to his aid and called an ambulance.
But despite the best efforts of paramedics and hospital experts, the 62-year-old, of Waldegrave Road, Brighton, died two days later.
Popular Mr Betts was a keen photographer of the South Downs and raised money for a number of charities, including The Argus Appeal.
Howie Blanks, the organiser of The Argus Appeal charity bike rides, said: “Everyone involved with the appeal has been really shocked to hear about Pete’s tragic death.
“He was a popular fundraiser who always had a smile on his face – no matter how bad the weather was – and he has taken part in the last six Argus Appeal South Downs Challenges going back to 2006, raising a considerable sum.
“He would often encourage other cyclists and was particularly popular among the organisers and other regular cyclists.
“He will be sadly missed by so many who had the privilege to have known him.”
Mr Betts’s wife, Ellen, said she wanted to thank all those who had cared for her husband after the accident.
She picked out staff at the King Alfred, the paramedics and staff in the intensive care unit at Royal Sussex County Hospital for special praise.
The incident took place on the evening of October 24 but full details have only just come to light.
A council spokesman said: “This is a tragic incident, and our thoughts are very much with the family of the deceased at this time.”
An inquest into the death of Mr Betts will be held on January 14.
Leave your tributes to Mr Betts at theargus.co.uk or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Inquiry begins into cause of dramatic scrapyard blaze
- Gay woman tells Tory: give me a clear answer
- Hundreds plead: Save our schools
- PC ‘lied about grandma’s cash’
- Red faces after Shakespeare exam blunder