The owner of a café which has served royalty and the stars handed over a petition to a Government minister.
Rail bosses have signalled that it could be the end of the line for much-loved The Runaway at Lewes station.
But supporters of the popular refreshment stop have vowed it will not be ‘final destination’ for owner Jackie Elsey and the café from which Princess Diana once ordered a bacon sandwich.
On Saturday crowds gathered at the station with a petition called ‘Save the Runaway’.
A petition was presented to Lewes MP Norman Baker, who is also transport minister.
Jackie Elsey said: “They could have just renewed the lease but instead they have asked us to tender.”
Train operator Southern confirmed it is talking to the Elseys about the lease on the café they have run for 23 years.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Police drop Hove murder investigation after post mortem says woman died from natural causes
- Driver loses control and crashes after being pursued by police
- CCTV: 16-year-old boy "headbutted in the face" by man asking for cigarette paper
- Two car crash in Brighton
- Man seriously injured after Toyota Avensis hits tree in Hove