Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Fight to save Lewes Station cafe
7:54am Monday 26th November 2012 in News
The owner of a café which has served royalty and the stars handed over a petition to a Government minister.
Rail bosses have signalled that it could be the end of the line for much-loved The Runaway at Lewes station.
But supporters of the popular refreshment stop have vowed it will not be ‘final destination’ for owner Jackie Elsey and the café from which Princess Diana once ordered a bacon sandwich.
On Saturday crowds gathered at the station with a petition called ‘Save the Runaway’.
A petition was presented to Lewes MP Norman Baker, who is also transport minister.
Jackie Elsey said: “They could have just renewed the lease but instead they have asked us to tender.”
Train operator Southern confirmed it is talking to the Elseys about the lease on the café they have run for 23 years.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Woman who died following 'interaction' with police officers in Brighton named as Kelly Pearson
- Man killed after being struck by train at Moulsecoomb named as Mark Ellis, 29
- Teen who was struck by car on M23 as he fled from police is still critically ill one month on
- The Argus and City College '50 in 5’ apprentices drive nearing target
- Police called to fox pelt draped over Newhaven phonebox
Comments are closed on this article.