Commuters are facing delays of up to 30 minutes after the Brighton to London mainline became blocked.
Network Rail said the delay between Gatwick and East Croydon was due to an obstruction near Coulsdon, near Croydon.
It happened this morning and was still blocked at 8am.
Train operators said delays will continue until further notice.
First Capital Connect is accepting Southern passengers between London and Brighton.
For more details visit www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/today.html, call 0871 200 49 50 or see Twitter hashtag: #Coulsdon.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Fire takes hold at historic seafront bath house
- 75-year-old woman mugged in her own home
- December is the worst month for road deaths in Sussex this year with scores of crashes and casualties this week
- ‘Death trap’ cycle lane claims fourth victim
- Interim worker cost double the money of sacked housing chief