The Argus£50,000 bike counting units to be scrapped from Brighton street (From The Argus)

Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.

£50,000 bike counting units to be scrapped from Brighton street

The Argus: The bike counter on London Road after it was installed in 2010 The bike counter on London Road after it was installed in 2010

The country’s first ever cycle counters are to be scrapped – just two and a half years after the £50,000 units were installed.

Thanks to a European Union grant, Brighton and Hove was the first city in the UK to introduce the equipment in May 2010.

Transport bosses claimed it would help them better understand levels of cycling and develop new policies for the city.

However, both counters have repeatedly been out of action after “mindless” vandals damaged them.

The Argus can now reveal the local authority has admitted it cannot afford to keep the counters running when EU funding expires. They will be removed in the coming months.

'Meaningful changes'

Councillor Ian Davey, chairman of the council’s transport committee, said the counters had been installed under the previous Conservative-run council.

He said: “This Green administration prefers to concentrate on meaningful infrastructure changes that make it safer and easier for people who want to cycle to get about the city – such as the new cycle lane on the Old Shoreham Road and our proposals for the Lewes Road.

“Due to the ongoing costs for the cycle counter project we don’t intend on continuing with it once the European funding has come to an end.”

The giant display units were installed near Surrenden Park in London Road and near Moulsecoomb Library in Lewes Road, Brighton.

The funding came from CiViTas - a European organisation that supports innovative and experimental transport measures.

An LED display updates every time a cyclist passes, saying “You are cyclist number xxx today, out of a total of xxx cyclists this year, on this path”.

Waste of money

Conservative councillor Graham Cox said the decision seemed sensible.

He said: “It does seem like a huge amount of money for collecting information the council could have just as easily got by carrying out a traffic count.

“It does say quite a lot about the European Union – we send a lot of money to Brussels and in return we get cycle counters.”

The Argus has repeatedly asked for figures on how many days the counters have been working.

However the local authority has not produced the information.

A council spokeswoman said: “There has been an ongoing issue with vandalism of the counters and the council has spent £1,600 on maintenance and repairs.

“The results of the trial will be fed back to the European Commission as part of the evaluation of the wider project but the council will not be investing any further money into this initiative.”

See the latest news headlines from The Argus:

More news from The Argus

Follow @brightonargus

The Argus: Daily Echo on Facebook - facebook.com/southerndailyecho Like us on Facebook

The Argus: Google+ Add us to your circles on Google+

Comments (43)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:54pm Mon 26 Nov 12

toldsloth says...

One does have to ask "is anybody suprised"?

What a complete and utter farce "EU Funding" - who do you think funds the EU in the first place?!!!
One does have to ask "is anybody suprised"? What a complete and utter farce "EU Funding" - who do you think funds the EU in the first place?!!! toldsloth
  • Score: 0

1:12pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Hove Actually says...

The funding came from CiViTas - a European organisation that supports innovative and experimental transport measures......
NO it doesn't, we do and how many of theses stupid schemes are we funding across the whole of the EU, and that's not counting the cost of the people who dream them up and distribute our taxes.
The funding came from CiViTas - a European organisation that supports innovative and experimental transport measures...... NO it doesn't, we do and how many of theses stupid schemes are we funding across the whole of the EU, and that's not counting the cost of the people who dream them up and distribute our taxes. Hove Actually
  • Score: 0

1:15pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Indigatio says...

Its a shame they don't scrap this useless Green Council at the same time.
Its a shame they don't scrap this useless Green Council at the same time. Indigatio
  • Score: 0

1:26pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Maxwell's Ghost says...

£50,000 on bike racks in town would have been more useful.
What a disgraceful waste of money.
Now we have the Greens making a new cycle lane on the Lewes Road wasting more money and at the same time installing road sensors in Coombe Road because traffic has increased.
You can't believe this madness.
£50,000 on bike racks in town would have been more useful. What a disgraceful waste of money. Now we have the Greens making a new cycle lane on the Lewes Road wasting more money and at the same time installing road sensors in Coombe Road because traffic has increased. You can't believe this madness. Maxwell's Ghost
  • Score: 0

1:37pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Old Ale Man says...

Scrap the greens as well they should have come with a health warning!!!!
The cranky's would be best in charge.
Scrap the greens as well they should have come with a health warning!!!! The cranky's would be best in charge. Old Ale Man
  • Score: 0

1:37pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Old Ale Man says...

Scrap the greens as well they should have come with a health warning!!!!
The cranky's would be best in charge.
Scrap the greens as well they should have come with a health warning!!!! The cranky's would be best in charge. Old Ale Man
  • Score: 0

2:08pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Maxwell's Ghost says...

The Greens PR Manager HJarrs will be posting shortly to tell you that it was the Tories who installed this waste of money.
However, I find it strange that the counter on the Lewes Road has no visible signs of vandalism and has not worked since the day the Green council said it was going to spend millions on a new cycle lane to cater for the vast numbers of cylists.
When I cycled past it taxis were setting it off and even then only about 28 people were cycling a day in winter.
The Greens PR Manager HJarrs will be posting shortly to tell you that it was the Tories who installed this waste of money. However, I find it strange that the counter on the Lewes Road has no visible signs of vandalism and has not worked since the day the Green council said it was going to spend millions on a new cycle lane to cater for the vast numbers of cylists. When I cycled past it taxis were setting it off and even then only about 28 people were cycling a day in winter. Maxwell's Ghost
  • Score: 0

2:26pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Lady Smith says...

What an utter waste of money. Do we (and I mean 'we') get a refund?
What an utter waste of money. Do we (and I mean 'we') get a refund? Lady Smith
  • Score: 0

2:31pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Chaffinch1 says...

The council would have been better off employing someone with a clipboard to count cyclists.

At least that way something positive would have come from it.
The council would have been better off employing someone with a clipboard to count cyclists. At least that way something positive would have come from it. Chaffinch1
  • Score: 0

2:55pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Brightonscouse2 says...

Lady Smith wrote:
What an utter waste of money. Do we (and I mean 'we') get a refund?
A refund on what? They were installed with money from a grant.
[quote][p][bold]Lady Smith[/bold] wrote: What an utter waste of money. Do we (and I mean 'we') get a refund?[/p][/quote]A refund on what? They were installed with money from a grant. Brightonscouse2
  • Score: 0

2:57pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Andy R says...

Maxwell's Ghost wrote:
The Greens PR Manager HJarrs will be posting shortly to tell you that it was the Tories who installed this waste of money. However, I find it strange that the counter on the Lewes Road has no visible signs of vandalism and has not worked since the day the Green council said it was going to spend millions on a new cycle lane to cater for the vast numbers of cylists. When I cycled past it taxis were setting it off and even then only about 28 people were cycling a day in winter.
Doesn't need to now, does he? You've done it. Yes the Tories installed them so what's your point?

Do you even have one?
[quote][p][bold]Maxwell's Ghost[/bold] wrote: The Greens PR Manager HJarrs will be posting shortly to tell you that it was the Tories who installed this waste of money. However, I find it strange that the counter on the Lewes Road has no visible signs of vandalism and has not worked since the day the Green council said it was going to spend millions on a new cycle lane to cater for the vast numbers of cylists. When I cycled past it taxis were setting it off and even then only about 28 people were cycling a day in winter.[/p][/quote]Doesn't need to now, does he? You've done it. Yes the Tories installed them so what's your point? Do you even have one? Andy R
  • Score: 0

3:03pm Mon 26 Nov 12

NickBtn says...

Clearly the EU has more money than sense. 50k for two counters that don't work!
Clearly the EU has more money than sense. 50k for two counters that don't work! NickBtn
  • Score: 0

3:10pm Mon 26 Nov 12

inadaptado says...

Maxwell's Ghost wrote:
The Greens PR Manager HJarrs will be posting shortly to tell you that it was the Tories who installed this waste of money.
However, I find it strange that the counter on the Lewes Road has no visible signs of vandalism and has not worked since the day the Green council said it was going to spend millions on a new cycle lane to cater for the vast numbers of cylists.
When I cycled past it taxis were setting it off and even then only about 28 people were cycling a day in winter.
Your wording is so confusing I had to read your comment three times to get the point. You really need to work on your sentence connectors, mate.
[quote][p][bold]Maxwell's Ghost[/bold] wrote: The Greens PR Manager HJarrs will be posting shortly to tell you that it was the Tories who installed this waste of money. However, I find it strange that the counter on the Lewes Road has no visible signs of vandalism and has not worked since the day the Green council said it was going to spend millions on a new cycle lane to cater for the vast numbers of cylists. When I cycled past it taxis were setting it off and even then only about 28 people were cycling a day in winter.[/p][/quote]Your wording is so confusing I had to read your comment three times to get the point. You really need to work on your sentence connectors, mate. inadaptado
  • Score: 0

3:16pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Fairfax Sakes says...

As for these bike counting units, all I can say is:

Go and get some hoses, direct them at the units, turn them on!
As for these bike counting units, all I can say is: Go and get some hoses, direct them at the units, turn them on! Fairfax Sakes
  • Score: 0

3:20pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Phani Tikkala says...

The counters actually cost £62,000 not £50,000 (£50k from Civitas and £10k from "Cycling England").

The Council minutes approving these idiot boards are brilliant.... I quote:

"The cycle counter displays will encourage the uptake of cycling, which will result in air quality improvements, less congestion and improve the overall health of the population of Brighton and Hove." Like, yeah that worked.

"All units have been designed to be as vandal-proof as possible." That's a cracker too.

Genius. Trebles all round!
The counters actually cost £62,000 not £50,000 (£50k from Civitas and £10k from "Cycling England"). The Council minutes approving these idiot boards are brilliant.... I quote: "The cycle counter displays will encourage the uptake of cycling, which will result in air quality improvements, less congestion and improve the overall health of the population of Brighton and Hove." Like, yeah that worked. "All units have been designed to be as vandal-proof as possible." That's a cracker too. Genius. Trebles all round! Phani Tikkala
  • Score: 0

3:29pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Maxwell's Ghost says...

My point is:
The idiot Tories installed the waste of money counters.
The idiot Greens then said the counters didn't work so they wouldn't use them anymore.
However, I suggest that the Greens have been pleased the counters are broken and they were not interested in repairing them because the party didn't want the public to see how few people cycle along a route that they are about to waste another few million on with an unnecessary new cycle lane.
The Greens issued a lying press release about the Lewes Road cycle lane on the council website. I made a formal complaint about the inaccuracies and lies and it was removed within 24 hours.
A few days later, thanks to an FoI request, the officers' report into the feasability of the Lewes Road cycle lane was issued, which stated that the lane would deliver a less than one per cent increase in cycling along the route.
So, not only do the Greens lie, but they are still happy to waste money as well as lie.
My point is: The idiot Tories installed the waste of money counters. The idiot Greens then said the counters didn't work so they wouldn't use them anymore. However, I suggest that the Greens have been pleased the counters are broken and they were not interested in repairing them because the party didn't want the public to see how few people cycle along a route that they are about to waste another few million on with an unnecessary new cycle lane. The Greens issued a lying press release about the Lewes Road cycle lane on the council website. I made a formal complaint about the inaccuracies and lies and it was removed within 24 hours. A few days later, thanks to an FoI request, the officers' report into the feasability of the Lewes Road cycle lane was issued, which stated that the lane would deliver a less than one per cent increase in cycling along the route. So, not only do the Greens lie, but they are still happy to waste money as well as lie. Maxwell's Ghost
  • Score: 0

4:10pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Jimmy Stewart's Imaginary Rabbit says...

So, like the thirty yard cycle lanes up at Hollingbury Park they turned out to be a complete and utter waste of money? Well I AM surprised.
So, like the thirty yard cycle lanes up at Hollingbury Park they turned out to be a complete and utter waste of money? Well I AM surprised. Jimmy Stewart's Imaginary Rabbit
  • Score: 0

4:16pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Jimmy Stewart's Imaginary Rabbit says...

Andy R wrote:
Maxwell's Ghost wrote:
The Greens PR Manager HJarrs will be posting shortly to tell you that it was the Tories who installed this waste of money. However, I find it strange that the counter on the Lewes Road has no visible signs of vandalism and has not worked since the day the Green council said it was going to spend millions on a new cycle lane to cater for the vast numbers of cylists. When I cycled past it taxis were setting it off and even then only about 28 people were cycling a day in winter.
Doesn't need to now, does he? You've done it. Yes the Tories installed them so what's your point?

Do you even have one?
I think his point was they didn't work properly even when they weren't vandalised.

It was worth pointing out (again) to some of the more hysterical anti-Greens that, whilst your hearts are in the right place, we can't actually pin this on them as it was the Conservatives who installed them, the same as it was the Conservatives who first proposed the blanket 20 mph speed limit. Things were going wrong in Brighton long before the Greens took over.
[quote][p][bold]Andy R[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Maxwell's Ghost[/bold] wrote: The Greens PR Manager HJarrs will be posting shortly to tell you that it was the Tories who installed this waste of money. However, I find it strange that the counter on the Lewes Road has no visible signs of vandalism and has not worked since the day the Green council said it was going to spend millions on a new cycle lane to cater for the vast numbers of cylists. When I cycled past it taxis were setting it off and even then only about 28 people were cycling a day in winter.[/p][/quote]Doesn't need to now, does he? You've done it. Yes the Tories installed them so what's your point? Do you even have one?[/p][/quote]I think his point was they didn't work properly even when they weren't vandalised. It was worth pointing out (again) to some of the more hysterical anti-Greens that, whilst your hearts are in the right place, we can't actually pin this on them as it was the Conservatives who installed them, the same as it was the Conservatives who first proposed the blanket 20 mph speed limit. Things were going wrong in Brighton long before the Greens took over. Jimmy Stewart's Imaginary Rabbit
  • Score: 0

4:19pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Hoarder12345444 says...

What an absolute joke pathetic vanity project. What a waste of money that could have been used elsewhere for something useful. Unreal.
What an absolute joke pathetic vanity project. What a waste of money that could have been used elsewhere for something useful. Unreal. Hoarder12345444
  • Score: 0

4:19pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Hoarder12345444 says...

What an absolute joke pathetic vanity project. What a waste of money that could have been used elsewhere for something useful. Unreal.
What an absolute joke pathetic vanity project. What a waste of money that could have been used elsewhere for something useful. Unreal. Hoarder12345444
  • Score: 0

4:19pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Hoarder12345444 says...

What an absolute joke pathetic vanity project. What a waste of money that could have been used elsewhere for something useful. Unreal.
What an absolute joke pathetic vanity project. What a waste of money that could have been used elsewhere for something useful. Unreal. Hoarder12345444
  • Score: 0

4:21pm Mon 26 Nov 12

NickBrt says...

Thanks Councillor Davey for giving me a good belly laugh. You talked about the Green Council and used the word 'meaningful'!!!!!!! What an absolute hoot!!!!
Thanks Councillor Davey for giving me a good belly laugh. You talked about the Green Council and used the word 'meaningful'!!!!!!! What an absolute hoot!!!! NickBrt
  • Score: 0

4:22pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Brightonscouse2 says...

Jimmy Stewart's Imaginary Rabbit wrote:
Andy R wrote:
Maxwell's Ghost wrote:
The Greens PR Manager HJarrs will be posting shortly to tell you that it was the Tories who installed this waste of money. However, I find it strange that the counter on the Lewes Road has no visible signs of vandalism and has not worked since the day the Green council said it was going to spend millions on a new cycle lane to cater for the vast numbers of cylists. When I cycled past it taxis were setting it off and even then only about 28 people were cycling a day in winter.
Doesn't need to now, does he? You've done it. Yes the Tories installed them so what's your point?

Do you even have one?
I think his point was they didn't work properly even when they weren't vandalised.

It was worth pointing out (again) to some of the more hysterical anti-Greens that, whilst your hearts are in the right place, we can't actually pin this on them as it was the Conservatives who installed them, the same as it was the Conservatives who first proposed the blanket 20 mph speed limit. Things were going wrong in Brighton long before the Greens took over.
It was also The Conservatives, and Labour before, that implemented parking zones under dubious consultation. But that's just it, no matter which party is in power the same, or similar, policies will be introduced. The same commenters on here will also still cry foul whilst claiming to have voted for the other lot.
[quote][p][bold]Jimmy Stewart's Imaginary Rabbit[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andy R[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Maxwell's Ghost[/bold] wrote: The Greens PR Manager HJarrs will be posting shortly to tell you that it was the Tories who installed this waste of money. However, I find it strange that the counter on the Lewes Road has no visible signs of vandalism and has not worked since the day the Green council said it was going to spend millions on a new cycle lane to cater for the vast numbers of cylists. When I cycled past it taxis were setting it off and even then only about 28 people were cycling a day in winter.[/p][/quote]Doesn't need to now, does he? You've done it. Yes the Tories installed them so what's your point? Do you even have one?[/p][/quote]I think his point was they didn't work properly even when they weren't vandalised. It was worth pointing out (again) to some of the more hysterical anti-Greens that, whilst your hearts are in the right place, we can't actually pin this on them as it was the Conservatives who installed them, the same as it was the Conservatives who first proposed the blanket 20 mph speed limit. Things were going wrong in Brighton long before the Greens took over.[/p][/quote]It was also The Conservatives, and Labour before, that implemented parking zones under dubious consultation. But that's just it, no matter which party is in power the same, or similar, policies will be introduced. The same commenters on here will also still cry foul whilst claiming to have voted for the other lot. Brightonscouse2
  • Score: 0

4:50pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Joshiman says...

EU/Green farce.Waste of money and the amount of cyclists clocked was so minimal that it probably screwed up the machine.
EU/Green farce.Waste of money and the amount of cyclists clocked was so minimal that it probably screwed up the machine. Joshiman
  • Score: 0

4:53pm Mon 26 Nov 12

george smith says...

Lets hope they scrap sheep grazing when the EU money runs out. Actually it is our money that goes to the Eu and some of it comes back for these daft ideas
Lets hope they scrap sheep grazing when the EU money runs out. Actually it is our money that goes to the Eu and some of it comes back for these daft ideas george smith
  • Score: 0

6:13pm Mon 26 Nov 12

nxcoachdriver says...

I can't wait to be able to vote the greens out. They are mad , bonkers and not on this planet.
In fact please hands up who actually voted them in, don't be shy.
I can't wait to be able to vote the greens out. They are mad , bonkers and not on this planet. In fact please hands up who actually voted them in, don't be shy. nxcoachdriver
  • Score: 0

7:11pm Mon 26 Nov 12

taman says...

somebody wake me from this brightonmare
somebody wake me from this brightonmare taman
  • Score: 0

7:19pm Mon 26 Nov 12

PorkBoat says...

Fairfax Sakes wrote:
As for these bike counting units, all I can say is:

Go and get some hoses, direct them at the units, turn them on!
Once again, I wholeheartedly support your view.
[quote][p][bold]Fairfax Sakes[/bold] wrote: As for these bike counting units, all I can say is: Go and get some hoses, direct them at the units, turn them on![/p][/quote]Once again, I wholeheartedly support your view. PorkBoat
  • Score: 0

7:38pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Andy R says...

nxcoachdriver wrote:
I can't wait to be able to vote the greens out. They are mad , bonkers and not on this planet.
In fact please hands up who actually voted them in, don't be shy.
Didn't read it did you......
[quote][p][bold]nxcoachdriver[/bold] wrote: I can't wait to be able to vote the greens out. They are mad , bonkers and not on this planet. In fact please hands up who actually voted them in, don't be shy.[/p][/quote]Didn't read it did you...... Andy R
  • Score: 0

8:04pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Hove Actually says...

However, both counters have repeatedly been out of action after “mindless” vandals damaged them

Just spoke to someone who should know about reports of vandalism and he was none the wiser.

Someone is being economical with the truth
However, both counters have repeatedly been out of action after “mindless” vandals damaged them Just spoke to someone who should know about reports of vandalism and he was none the wiser. Someone is being economical with the truth Hove Actually
  • Score: 0

9:53pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Maxwell's Ghost says...

Hove Actually,I cycle past one of these counters 20 times a week on my daily 30 mile commute and I have never, ever, seen any vandalism whatsover, although I often see speed cameras, signs and bus stops vandalised.
I understood that there was a problem with the power to the units not vandalism to the Lewes Road one but perhaps I shall have to make yet another FoI request to get the truth from the council.
I still believe that the council did not want us to see the low figures of cyclists using the Lewes Road cycle lane as it would not have supported its plan to spend millions on changing the lane in the hope of getting people to cycle. However, the council officer's report into the viability of the new lane on the Lewes Road (which was also only released following an FoI request) suggests that less than one per cent of traffic will leave vehciles and choose public transport on the route.
More money wasted when the existing lane is absolutely fine, we just want the parked cars moved out of the lane at the Elm Grove end of the cycle lane.
Hove Actually,I cycle past one of these counters 20 times a week on my daily 30 mile commute and I have never, ever, seen any vandalism whatsover, although I often see speed cameras, signs and bus stops vandalised. I understood that there was a problem with the power to the units not vandalism to the Lewes Road one but perhaps I shall have to make yet another FoI request to get the truth from the council. I still believe that the council did not want us to see the low figures of cyclists using the Lewes Road cycle lane as it would not have supported its plan to spend millions on changing the lane in the hope of getting people to cycle. However, the council officer's report into the viability of the new lane on the Lewes Road (which was also only released following an FoI request) suggests that less than one per cent of traffic will leave vehciles and choose public transport on the route. More money wasted when the existing lane is absolutely fine, we just want the parked cars moved out of the lane at the Elm Grove end of the cycle lane. Maxwell's Ghost
  • Score: 0

10:07pm Mon 26 Nov 12

B G Gruff says...

george smith wrote:
Lets hope they scrap sheep grazing when the EU money runs out. Actually it is our money that goes to the Eu and some of it comes back for these daft ideas
eh? the EU pays sheep to eat grass? where did you get that from?
[quote][p][bold]george smith[/bold] wrote: Lets hope they scrap sheep grazing when the EU money runs out. Actually it is our money that goes to the Eu and some of it comes back for these daft ideas[/p][/quote]eh? the EU pays sheep to eat grass? where did you get that from? B G Gruff
  • Score: 0

3:22am Tue 27 Nov 12

funkyyoyo says...

er....i seem to remember these useless devices after the greens sadly got in
er....i seem to remember these useless devices after the greens sadly got in funkyyoyo
  • Score: 0

6:17am Tue 27 Nov 12

george smith says...

B G Gruff wrote:
george smith wrote: Lets hope they scrap sheep grazing when the EU money runs out. Actually it is our money that goes to the Eu and some of it comes back for these daft ideas
eh? the EU pays sheep to eat grass? where did you get that from?
Seriously, Brighton has at times 700 sheep at £2 a week each and something like £100 each time they move. The sheep are in Brighton every day of the year The money comes from some EU fund meant for farmers. However there is a time limit on the funding. So who will pay then, us directly rather than via the EU?
Dreadful waste of tax payers money
[quote][p][bold]B G Gruff[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]george smith[/bold] wrote: Lets hope they scrap sheep grazing when the EU money runs out. Actually it is our money that goes to the Eu and some of it comes back for these daft ideas[/p][/quote]eh? the EU pays sheep to eat grass? where did you get that from?[/p][/quote]Seriously, Brighton has at times 700 sheep at £2 a week each and something like £100 each time they move. The sheep are in Brighton every day of the year The money comes from some EU fund meant for farmers. However there is a time limit on the funding. So who will pay then, us directly rather than via the EU? Dreadful waste of tax payers money george smith
  • Score: 0

7:36am Tue 27 Nov 12

Can this be says...

Can the Council please tell us what vandalism occurred and assure us that no grant money will have to be paid back. Also please remove them as soon as possible. They have been a disgrace on the two major roads into our town for too long.

The one at Surrenden Field on the A23 initially counted some buses and taxis when installed, so even the limited data collected is of dubious value.
Can the Council please tell us what vandalism occurred and assure us that no grant money will have to be paid back. Also please remove them as soon as possible. They have been a disgrace on the two major roads into our town for too long. The one at Surrenden Field on the A23 initially counted some buses and taxis when installed, so even the limited data collected is of dubious value. Can this be
  • Score: 0

12:45pm Tue 27 Nov 12

Dr Wombleface says...

Why not relocate them to Old Shoreham Road and prove what a waste of space that cycle lane is. I've never seen a bike use it when I'm driving along. The amount of road allocated to a type of vehicle should be proportional to the volume of traffic using it. You can't build cycle lanes and expect everyone to start using bikes. It's very naive and doesn't help traffic flow on a busy route, therefore keeping motor vehicles there longer and creating additional pollution for the area. Yet another poorly thought out decision.
Why not relocate them to Old Shoreham Road and prove what a waste of space that cycle lane is. I've never seen a bike use it when I'm driving along. The amount of road allocated to a type of vehicle should be proportional to the volume of traffic using it. You can't build cycle lanes and expect everyone to start using bikes. It's very naive and doesn't help traffic flow on a busy route, therefore keeping motor vehicles there longer and creating additional pollution for the area. Yet another poorly thought out decision. Dr Wombleface
  • Score: 0

12:47pm Tue 27 Nov 12

Dr Wombleface says...

Why not relocate them to Old Shoreham Road and prove what a waste of space that cycle lane is. I've never seen a bike use it when I'm driving along. The amount of road allocated to a type of vehicle should be proportional to the volume of traffic using it. You can't build cycle lanes and expect everyone to start using bikes. It's very naive and doesn't help traffic flow on a busy route, therefore keeping motor vehicles there longer and creating additional pollution for the area. Yet another poorly thought out decision.
Why not relocate them to Old Shoreham Road and prove what a waste of space that cycle lane is. I've never seen a bike use it when I'm driving along. The amount of road allocated to a type of vehicle should be proportional to the volume of traffic using it. You can't build cycle lanes and expect everyone to start using bikes. It's very naive and doesn't help traffic flow on a busy route, therefore keeping motor vehicles there longer and creating additional pollution for the area. Yet another poorly thought out decision. Dr Wombleface
  • Score: 0

8:38pm Tue 27 Nov 12

Bob_The_Ferret says...

Brightonscouse2 wrote:
Jimmy Stewart's Imaginary Rabbit wrote:
Andy R wrote:
Maxwell's Ghost wrote:
The Greens PR Manager HJarrs will be posting shortly to tell you that it was the Tories who installed this waste of money. However, I find it strange that the counter on the Lewes Road has no visible signs of vandalism and has not worked since the day the Green council said it was going to spend millions on a new cycle lane to cater for the vast numbers of cylists. When I cycled past it taxis were setting it off and even then only about 28 people were cycling a day in winter.
Doesn't need to now, does he? You've done it. Yes the Tories installed them so what's your point?

Do you even have one?
I think his point was they didn't work properly even when they weren't vandalised.

It was worth pointing out (again) to some of the more hysterical anti-Greens that, whilst your hearts are in the right place, we can't actually pin this on them as it was the Conservatives who installed them, the same as it was the Conservatives who first proposed the blanket 20 mph speed limit. Things were going wrong in Brighton long before the Greens took over.
It was also The Conservatives, and Labour before, that implemented parking zones under dubious consultation. But that's just it, no matter which party is in power the same, or similar, policies will be introduced. The same commenters on here will also still cry foul whilst claiming to have voted for the other lot.
It just goes to show how much the council executive has been infiltrated and politicised and that the influence of our elected councillors is somewhat less than people would believe.

When you think about it, do you really think the current (or previous) incumbents of the council chamber could have come up with all of the horrendous proposals and schemes we have had forced on the town? There are some powerful, bicycle pump wielding Sir Humphrey's behind the scenes, pulling the strings and as long as our councillors haven't got the guts to say "No!" when told to agree to everything put to them, things will not change, whatever flavour of politicians believe they are in power.
[quote][p][bold]Brightonscouse2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jimmy Stewart's Imaginary Rabbit[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andy R[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Maxwell's Ghost[/bold] wrote: The Greens PR Manager HJarrs will be posting shortly to tell you that it was the Tories who installed this waste of money. However, I find it strange that the counter on the Lewes Road has no visible signs of vandalism and has not worked since the day the Green council said it was going to spend millions on a new cycle lane to cater for the vast numbers of cylists. When I cycled past it taxis were setting it off and even then only about 28 people were cycling a day in winter.[/p][/quote]Doesn't need to now, does he? You've done it. Yes the Tories installed them so what's your point? Do you even have one?[/p][/quote]I think his point was they didn't work properly even when they weren't vandalised. It was worth pointing out (again) to some of the more hysterical anti-Greens that, whilst your hearts are in the right place, we can't actually pin this on them as it was the Conservatives who installed them, the same as it was the Conservatives who first proposed the blanket 20 mph speed limit. Things were going wrong in Brighton long before the Greens took over.[/p][/quote]It was also The Conservatives, and Labour before, that implemented parking zones under dubious consultation. But that's just it, no matter which party is in power the same, or similar, policies will be introduced. The same commenters on here will also still cry foul whilst claiming to have voted for the other lot.[/p][/quote]It just goes to show how much the council executive has been infiltrated and politicised and that the influence of our elected councillors is somewhat less than people would believe. When you think about it, do you really think the current (or previous) incumbents of the council chamber could have come up with all of the horrendous proposals and schemes we have had forced on the town? There are some powerful, bicycle pump wielding Sir Humphrey's behind the scenes, pulling the strings and as long as our councillors haven't got the guts to say "No!" when told to agree to everything put to them, things will not change, whatever flavour of politicians believe they are in power. Bob_The_Ferret
  • Score: 0

8:39pm Tue 27 Nov 12

Bill in Hanover says...

I regularly cycle past the London Road counter, and as someone mentioned about the Lewes Road counter, there was never any visible damage to it but it was hardly ever switched on. An utter waste of space and money. This bunch of Green idiots running the Council think that cycling is the answer to all their problems when they seem incapable of understanding that with British weather they will NEVER force people out of their cars and onto bikes
I regularly cycle past the London Road counter, and as someone mentioned about the Lewes Road counter, there was never any visible damage to it but it was hardly ever switched on. An utter waste of space and money. This bunch of Green idiots running the Council think that cycling is the answer to all their problems when they seem incapable of understanding that with British weather they will NEVER force people out of their cars and onto bikes Bill in Hanover
  • Score: 0

8:47pm Tue 27 Nov 12

Bob_The_Ferret says...

Dr Wombleface wrote:
Why not relocate them to Old Shoreham Road and prove what a waste of space that cycle lane is. I've never seen a bike use it when I'm driving along. The amount of road allocated to a type of vehicle should be proportional to the volume of traffic using it. You can't build cycle lanes and expect everyone to start using bikes. It's very naive and doesn't help traffic flow on a busy route, therefore keeping motor vehicles there longer and creating additional pollution for the area. Yet another poorly thought out decision.
An excellent idea. They certainly won't go wrong through being overloaded on Old Shoreham Road.

It's a year now since they started tearing up the road and messing up the junctions and the congestion caused can be pretty grim at times, particularly in the evening peak, with vehicles regularly queuing all the way from Upper Drive to Hove Park. With such a success under their belts, I'm surprised that phase 2 hasn't been started. Maybe we can look forward to the proposals next year.
[quote][p][bold]Dr Wombleface[/bold] wrote: Why not relocate them to Old Shoreham Road and prove what a waste of space that cycle lane is. I've never seen a bike use it when I'm driving along. The amount of road allocated to a type of vehicle should be proportional to the volume of traffic using it. You can't build cycle lanes and expect everyone to start using bikes. It's very naive and doesn't help traffic flow on a busy route, therefore keeping motor vehicles there longer and creating additional pollution for the area. Yet another poorly thought out decision.[/p][/quote]An excellent idea. They certainly won't go wrong through being overloaded on Old Shoreham Road. It's a year now since they started tearing up the road and messing up the junctions and the congestion caused can be pretty grim at times, particularly in the evening peak, with vehicles regularly queuing all the way from Upper Drive to Hove Park. With such a success under their belts, I'm surprised that phase 2 hasn't been started. Maybe we can look forward to the proposals next year. Bob_The_Ferret
  • Score: 0

8:54pm Tue 27 Nov 12

Steve Ancell says...

I can't justify why one of those counters cost £50,000 in the first place and who's going to pay for the removal of those counters?, EU funding again probably with thousands to pay for each unit. Someone is skimming the funding somewhere along the line.

It would be far cheaper to either just leave them in place but not operational or simply replace the guts with cheaper LED displays and use a Raspberry Pi or Arduino to do all the whizzy stuff. A Raspberry Pi or Arduino is low power enough to be powered by solar or they could always use hot air that comes from the Green's mouths.
I can't justify why one of those counters cost £50,000 in the first place and who's going to pay for the removal of those counters?, EU funding again probably with thousands to pay for each unit. Someone is skimming the funding somewhere along the line. It would be far cheaper to either just leave them in place but not operational or simply replace the guts with cheaper LED displays and use a Raspberry Pi or Arduino to do all the whizzy stuff. A Raspberry Pi or Arduino is low power enough to be powered by solar or they could always use hot air that comes from the Green's mouths. Steve Ancell
  • Score: 0

11:01pm Tue 27 Nov 12

Steve Ancell says...

Come to think of it, instead of the Greens spending craploads on having those counters removed, they could use the money to fund local school projects and maybe by some Raspberry Pi kits so that the kids could have a go at poking their own project into the counters already existing casings.

Even better, it could be funded from the sale of the guts from the counters, although I very much doubt that the parts that make one of those things up actually did cost £50,000. I would probably be hitting a sensitive spot if I were to say that I reckon most of that funding went on admin or some other unnecessary crap.
Come to think of it, instead of the Greens spending craploads on having those counters removed, they could use the money to fund local school projects and maybe by some Raspberry Pi kits so that the kids could have a go at poking their own project into the counters already existing casings. Even better, it could be funded from the sale of the guts from the counters, although I very much doubt that the parts that make one of those things up actually did cost £50,000. I would probably be hitting a sensitive spot if I were to say that I reckon most of that funding went on admin or some other unnecessary crap. Steve Ancell
  • Score: 0

5:48pm Thu 29 Nov 12

wippasnapper says...

why dose this not surprise me, makes you latch the money this council just throes away, the one on the Lewes Road was a joke because every time a motorist went over the strip it counted as a cyclist so the true count of cyclists was incorrect… but is this council going to sell them or are they just going to dump them could say that’s one hell of expensive rubbish.
why dose this not surprise me, makes you latch the money this council just throes away, the one on the Lewes Road was a joke because every time a motorist went over the strip it counted as a cyclist so the true count of cyclists was incorrect… but is this council going to sell them or are they just going to dump them could say that’s one hell of expensive rubbish. wippasnapper
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree