Eight people had to be rescued after a fire in a block of flats in Crawley this morning.
The fire broke out in the communal stairwell of the three storey building in Broadfield Place at about 7am.
Two separate residents called 999 after the fire trapped them in their flats.
Fire crews from Crawley, Horsham and Horley attended the scene and five people were rescued using an extension ladder from a first floor window.
Another three people were helped out of the building via the stairs.
The fire, which West Sussex Fire and Rescue described as small, was quickly extinguished.
The cause of the blaze is under investigation.
- Did you see the incident? Send your photos to email@example.com
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- QUITTING: Unfaithful bishop must move out of the Diocese-owned £1m house
- CAR FREE: Busy Brighton shopping street could be next to be pedestrianised
- CHAOS: Hospital declares major incident after IT system crashes
- REMEMBERING: Cause set up in memory of opera singer Robert
- A TRIP OF A LIFETIME: Postcard’s amazing journey to Everest