Eight people had to be rescued after a fire in a block of flats in Crawley this morning.
The fire broke out in the communal stairwell of the three storey building in Broadfield Place at about 7am.
Two separate residents called 999 after the fire trapped them in their flats.
Fire crews from Crawley, Horsham and Horley attended the scene and five people were rescued using an extension ladder from a first floor window.
Another three people were helped out of the building via the stairs.
The fire, which West Sussex Fire and Rescue described as small, was quickly extinguished.
The cause of the blaze is under investigation.
- Did you see the incident? Send your photos to email@example.com
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- UPDATE: Five year old boy hospitalised after being hit by ambulance
- Search helicopter and lifeboats launched after reports woman walked into sea
- Man charged with assaulting police officers following five hour stand-off
- Classic movies that are good enough to eat
- Man missing from health facility since Monday