Eight people had to be rescued after a fire in a block of flats in Crawley this morning.
The fire broke out in the communal stairwell of the three storey building in Broadfield Place at about 7am.
Two separate residents called 999 after the fire trapped them in their flats.
Fire crews from Crawley, Horsham and Horley attended the scene and five people were rescued using an extension ladder from a first floor window.
Another three people were helped out of the building via the stairs.
The fire, which West Sussex Fire and Rescue described as small, was quickly extinguished.
The cause of the blaze is under investigation.
- Did you see the incident? Send your photos to firstname.lastname@example.org
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Huge fire near Lewes closes part of the A27
- UPDATED: Armed police close road after 'weapons' seen in property
- Girl, 17, took her own life after being abused by her brother
- Martin Freeman to open new £8 million, three-screen cinema
- Huge advertising hoarding covers up beautiful Grade I listed property