They often have to deal with hair-raising situations.
But a team of firefighters from Brighton have gone one step further for charity.
The crew from Preston Circus station have been growing moustaches for Movember, which raises awareness of prostate and testicular cancer.
Gary Smith, from the team, said: “We have had varying degrees of success in terms of hirsuteness.
“There has been a fine tradition of moustaches in the fire service over the years.”
Mr Smith said a couple of the crew were now thinking about keeping their new facial hair.
To donate to their cause, go to mobro.co/bluewatchprestoncircusbrightonfire station or visit the station at Preston Circus.
The firefighters were not the only ones to warm their upper lips for the charity.
Staff at Peacehaven Community College gave a great lesson in moustache style as they raised cash and a few eyebrows.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- 'I've been chucked on the scrap heap' - first BHS in Sussex closes
- Actress Honeysuckle Weeks found safe and well
- Albion fans face disruption getting to first competitive home games of the season
- Sisters meet for first time in more than 40 years
- Fight Isis terror with parade of Pride