They often have to deal with hair-raising situations.
But a team of firefighters from Brighton have gone one step further for charity.
The crew from Preston Circus station have been growing moustaches for Movember, which raises awareness of prostate and testicular cancer.
Gary Smith, from the team, said: “We have had varying degrees of success in terms of hirsuteness.
“There has been a fine tradition of moustaches in the fire service over the years.”
Mr Smith said a couple of the crew were now thinking about keeping their new facial hair.
To donate to their cause, go to mobro.co/bluewatchprestoncircusbrightonfire station or visit the station at Preston Circus.
The firefighters were not the only ones to warm their upper lips for the charity.
Staff at Peacehaven Community College gave a great lesson in moustache style as they raised cash and a few eyebrows.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Police officers raid Sussex home of DJ "Dr" Fox in sexual assault investigation
- UPDATED: Workman air lifted to hospital with serious head injuries after falling 15 ft on construction site
- RACIST ATTACK: Man fined for assault in Brighton nightclub
- BIN STRIKE: Council warned by union bosses the ball is in their court
- CAR FREE: Busy Brighton shopping street could be next to be pedestrianised