They often have to deal with hair-raising situations.
But a team of firefighters from Brighton have gone one step further for charity.
The crew from Preston Circus station have been growing moustaches for Movember, which raises awareness of prostate and testicular cancer.
Gary Smith, from the team, said: “We have had varying degrees of success in terms of hirsuteness.
“There has been a fine tradition of moustaches in the fire service over the years.”
Mr Smith said a couple of the crew were now thinking about keeping their new facial hair.
To donate to their cause, go to mobro.co/bluewatchprestoncircusbrightonfire station or visit the station at Preston Circus.
The firefighters were not the only ones to warm their upper lips for the charity.
Staff at Peacehaven Community College gave a great lesson in moustache style as they raised cash and a few eyebrows.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Webcam from Brighton front room hacked and uploaded onto Russian website
- Sussex Police issue warning to mobile phone users including owners of iPhone, Samsung Galaxy and Sony
- Pensioner killed wife amid fears over affair
- Mitsubishi crashes into lamppost outside Ladies Mile Pub
- Hove father sent text message to loved ones before killing himself