A kitten was torched on her first trip outside.
Hetty the kitten, who was born in April, was set on fire earlier this month in Bewbush, Crawley, and later died.
On Wednesday night police visited the home of her owner Liam Garrard and vowed to investigate who set fire to silver tabby Hetty who had to be put down after the attack.
Mr Garrard, 22, discovered Hetty covered in burns after she crawled through the cat flap of the home he shares with his parents.
Despite taking her to the vet in Faygate, near Horsham, she could not be saved.
Yesterday heartbroken Mr Garrard said: “I can’t believe anyone would do this.
“Hetty was in so much pain when she was dying.
“There are some sadistic, sick people about.”
Sussex Police and the RSPCA are appealing for any witnesses to come forward.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Fears prime Sussex beauty spot Seven Sisters could be sold off
- Driver killed in head on crash on A27
- Average speed camera system goes live on busy seafront road
- Police officer injured after being pelted with vases, bricks and a knife
- Brighton born Marine A could be freed within weeks