Communal bin plans which council bosses claim will keep the city streets tidy are a “concoction of dangerous hazards”, claim residents.
Brighton and Hove City Council claim the large shared containers will clear clutter from roads while making areas cleaner.
Yet, regardless of the benefits put before them, proposals to roll out the bins in Hanover area of Brighton have horrified some residents who met over the weekend in protest at the plans.
Hanover Terrace homeowner Hannah Booth questioned the effectiveness of a trial of the bins, adding: “They are constantly overflowing with refuse and attract seagulls, fly-tipping, urinating and graffiti and discourage recycling.
“It seems incredible that anyone could consider this a positive solution to refuse management in Hanover.
“I know that opinion is against the placement of communal bins in Hanover Terrace. This is also true of other streets.
“This surely cannot be considered positive for our area or city.”
Miss Booth added she felt the bins would devalue her home and the council had offered no compensation for the “eyesore”.
Communal bins for waste were first introduced in 2004 in Brighton and Hove to help those living in flats and bedsits who did not have enough space to store their waste.
It was rolled out in 2009 to cover most of the city centre area from Sackville Road, Hove, in the west to Boundary Road in east Brighton.
A trial was introduced in Hanover earlier this year in Coleman and Washington Street. Residents are now being asked their views on widening out the scheme. Some welcome the plans.
Tom Wright and Lisa Murray, who live in Grove Street, said: “Communal bins will make our community cleaner and more accessible. We used to live in the Seven Dials area and had two communal bins right outside our house.”
They added there were more regular collections and they made streets cleaner.
But Simon McNiff, of Hanover Terrace, added: “I do not need a communal bin. I have a front garden in which I store my rubbish.”
He said quotes from the Green Hills brochure produced by the Green Party said the council will make a decision for each street based on the majority opinion.
However, Mr McNiff said the local authority had withdrawn this adding there was a choice between keeping the status quo and introducing the street containers.
A council spokesperson said: “Hanover residents have engaged well with us at every stage, responding to our door to door leafleting and attending our local exhibition showing proposals for the extension of our communal bin scheme in their area.
"The communal bin trial in Washington Street and Coleman Street has already received positive verbal feedback.
"The council recognises there is no perfect solution, but communal bins provide better refuse containment than currently used black sacks which are frequently ripped apart by scavenging birds and animals, creating unsightly streets and health hazards.
"The council understand that Hanover’s narrow streets create an issue for placement of communal bins where they take up parking spaces, and can make a visual impact.
"Communal bins work well in many other parts of the city - with residents reporting that the streets are clearer and cleaner. If a bulky item is left next to a communal bin, it will be collected and enforcement action will follow, (with sufficient evidence) just as with any fly tipping."
"Any decision will be based on the outcome of the consultation, which ends on Monday December 3, after which all comments will be considered in detail. The final decision will be made at the environment and sustainability committee meeting on February 6. “
Gillian Marston, head of City Clean, wrote publicly: “It’s good that everyone has a say on communal bins in Hanover. Let us know what you think by December 3. Ideas gratefully received.”
A decision is expected to be made in March. If approved, it could start in April.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Bryson names village church one of the best
- Anti-terrorism officers carry out search on Brighton property
- Michael Lane jailed for 25 years for the murder of Shana Grice
- Judge criticises Sussex Police for "jumping to conclusions" over Shana's complaints
- Man attacked with machete in flat suffers serious injury