An OAP was tricked by a conman who said he was going to ‘fix’ her water – but then stole her Christmas money.
At around 4pm on Monday, December 1 in Swindon Road, Horsham, the woman opened her front door to a man saying that an old pipe had leaked in the road and he needed to turn off the water and drain it.
The man did not show or offer any form of ID to confirm where he worked.
However, the resident allowed him access to the house and kitchen. She believed he had closed the front door behind him.
The victim and man then went to the kitchen where he turned off the stopcock.
Another man then appeared in the kitchen doorway and told the victim that they needed to drain the taps in the bathroom.
The victim accompanied the first man to the bathroom and the taps were all turned on and the water drained. After they had left the victim realised that other rooms had been entered and money stolen.
The first man is described as white, 35 to 40 years old, with stubble, short brown hair, with a big broad build and wearing a navy blue coat.
The second man is described as white, slightly older than the first male, with a very closely shaved haircut, a southern accent, of broad build and also wearing a navy blue coat.
Detective Sergeant Jon Pink said: "This is a despicable crime and the money stolen had been saved to buy Christmas presents, causing great distress to the victim.
“I would like to remind all residents to be on their guard in relation to unexpected callers going door-to-door and to always use a security chain and to request identification.”
Anyone with information should call Sussex Police on 101.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- School say it will be "business as usual" while investigation into controversial headteacher James Fox is carried out
- “Unskilled” bin lorry divers will work to rule after one day strike in dispute over their pay grade
- Get the sun cream ready... temperatures set to rise as warm weather hits the south coast
- 97 jobs could go as Phones 4u puts its 19 Sussex stores into administraion
- Noise from Games of Thrones star Hodor's DJ set at University of Sussex freshers rave causes complaints from neighbours