Two Sussex MPs have claimed they were pressurised by Number 10 and the Foreign Office not to meet the Dalai Lama.
East Worthing and Shoreham MP Tim Loughton claimed on a Channel 4 documentary shown on Monday, December 3 that he and Lewes MP Norman Baker were warned not to meet the Tibetan leader this summer during his tour of the UK.
The two MPs then wrote a letter of complaint to David Cameron after deciding against attending a dinner organised by the Tibet Society and warned the Prime Minister against being too heavily influenced by China over their approach to Tibet.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- UPDATED: Mother of mentally ill road murder accused says he was failed by health experts
- Armed officers raid flat following two hour stand off
- Teenage cyclist seriously injured in hit-and-run
- Government 'must make up its mind' on airport expansion
- UPDATED: 'Expect delays for rest of week', train passengers warned