Two Sussex MPs have claimed they were pressurised by Number 10 and the Foreign Office not to meet the Dalai Lama.
East Worthing and Shoreham MP Tim Loughton claimed on a Channel 4 documentary shown on Monday, December 3 that he and Lewes MP Norman Baker were warned not to meet the Tibetan leader this summer during his tour of the UK.
The two MPs then wrote a letter of complaint to David Cameron after deciding against attending a dinner organised by the Tibet Society and warned the Prime Minister against being too heavily influenced by China over their approach to Tibet.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Election 2015: Voters in the UK go to the polls
- Garage searched and friend arrested as part of investigation into disappearance of bomb disposal expert
- Model aeroplane enthusiasts told not to fly near Shoreham Airport after crash with light aircraft
- Have you made up your mind yet? The five main parties tell you why you should vote for them
- Generous city residents help Nepal