Two Sussex MPs have claimed they were pressurised by Number 10 and the Foreign Office not to meet the Dalai Lama.
East Worthing and Shoreham MP Tim Loughton claimed on a Channel 4 documentary shown on Monday, December 3 that he and Lewes MP Norman Baker were warned not to meet the Tibetan leader this summer during his tour of the UK.
The two MPs then wrote a letter of complaint to David Cameron after deciding against attending a dinner organised by the Tibet Society and warned the Prime Minister against being too heavily influenced by China over their approach to Tibet.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Motorcyclist injured while trying to complete ice bucket challenge
- Man living in derelict pub: ‘I want to be king of the squatters’
- City is beacon of economic dynamism
- I had to move home because of Tourette’s
- Gatwick in two-horse race for expansion after Boris Island ruled out