Five outdoor spaces are to be permanently protected from development.
The areas in Brighton and Hove will get national recognition under proposals to ensure they are used for sport, play and recreation forever.
The spaces are Blakers Park, Carden Park, Horsdean Recreational Ground, Woodingdean Bowls Club and Hangleton Park.
Brighton and Hove City Council has recommended they be given protection under the Queen Elizabeth II Fields in Trust initiative.
The charity launched a campaign earlier this year to protect 2012 outdoor recreational spaces in the UK as a permanent legacy of the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.
Max Glaskin, chairman of the Friends of Blakers Park, welcomed the move and said it was great for the community.
He said: “It will give an extra level of protection to what is a much loved small park.
“It is almost a secret garden – many people in Brighton do not know it exists.
“But it is a great resource for families, children and anyone else who wants to visit.”
Mr Glaskin said the Friends of Blakers Park will hold a special event to celebrate.
As well as additional protection, the Fields in Trust scheme allows parks to bid for funding.
Councillor Pete West, chairman of the environment and sustainability committee, said: “Our public open spaces already have very high levels of protection.
"For me the exciting thing about this scheme is the chance to get more community involvement in what are vital community assets.”
A further two sites – the Kingsway Bowls Club and St Nicholas Rest Gardens – have also expressed an interest.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Sussex weather and tides: What we should expect on Sunday April 19
- The man who blew the whistle...
- Two men charged over the kidnapping of a man off a residential street in Brighton
- Person hit by a train at Aldrington
- Posh girls’ school now has new swish style to go with it