Music service campaigners have pledged to fight planned funding cuts to an award-winning centre.
Councillors had been unanimous in agreeing an amendment which said it would remain fully funded for at least two years.
However, the local authority’s budget proposal for 2013/14 highlights a reduction of 25% to its annual council grant.
Keith Turvey, of the Campaign for Music and Arts Service, said: “Obviously we are disappointed that the council are proposing to go ahead with the budgeted cuts of 25% for 2013/14 and that Cabinet have not felt able to fully honour the amendment.
"However, we recognise that these are difficult times for councils.
“Despite the proposed cuts for 2013/14, we are hopeful that this amendment will be honoured |with ongoing support over the coming years. We would be very concerned about any further cuts to the 25% cuts proposed for 2013/14.”
Comments are currently being accepted on the budget process. A final decision will be made at a meeting of all 54 councillors on February 28.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- After three crashes in five minutes, new £600k cycle lane branded a ‘death trap’
- UPDATE: 35-year-old Newhaven man killed after being hit by a lorry
- Road closed in both directions after crash between cyclist and car
- Santa arrested after gluing himself to doors of Barclays Bank
- Motorist loses their way at Vogue Gyratory and ends up in... the cycle lane