The University of Brighton has cancelled the screening of a controversial film following a student backlash.
The documentary House of Numbers has been dismissed by academics and health experts worldwide as AIDS denialist propaganda.
The film, which claims the HIV virus does not cause AIDS, was due to be shown tomorrow (December 12).
However, following a backlash from students and health groups, the university has cancelled the screening.
A spokesman said: “The screening of this film was organised by an individual member of university staff who has no academic or professional expertise in health sciences.
“Our position is clear: We regard HIV and AIDS as extremely serious matters of concern; we provide our students with advice and we support research concerning these issues.”
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Officers saved woman stabbed 150 times
- i360 to shut for the weekend for repairs after pod shudders to a halt
- Call The Midwife writer at the hub of the story
- Boots pharmacist, 37, died after ‘fall back into heroin’
- Rail users are not being fully informed of their rights