The University of Brighton has cancelled the screening of a controversial film following a student backlash.
The documentary House of Numbers has been dismissed by academics and health experts worldwide as AIDS denialist propaganda.
The film, which claims the HIV virus does not cause AIDS, was due to be shown tomorrow (December 12).
However, following a backlash from students and health groups, the university has cancelled the screening.
A spokesman said: “The screening of this film was organised by an individual member of university staff who has no academic or professional expertise in health sciences.
“Our position is clear: We regard HIV and AIDS as extremely serious matters of concern; we provide our students with advice and we support research concerning these issues.”
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Residents angry over late-night violence and drug dealing at popular student night
- Shared bike plan not yet 'fit for purpose'
- Top Tory makes pizza at Hove restaurant chain where apprenticeship pledge is announced
- Woman calls 999 and asks for firefighters after she discovers "large spider" in her house
- Father cheats death as roof caves in around him