An elderly couple were injured after being hit by a motorbike in an apparent hit-and-run accident.
A man in his 80s was flown to Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton following the incident in Ashford Road, Eastbourne, near the entrance to Eastbourne Station yesterday (December 11).
The motorcycle rider involved in the crash fled from the scene.
The incident happened in Ashford Road at just after 12.45pm and it was initially feared that the man had suffered life-threatening injuries.
Police later confirmed although the pensioner’s injuries were serious they were not critical.
A woman in her 80s was taken to Eastbourne District General Hospital with serious injuries, while a middle-aged man was taken to the same hospital for treatment for shock.
A Yamaha motorcycle was left abandoned at the scene and the rider tried to escape the scene on foot.
Roads in the area were closed while the air ambulance landed close to the crash scene. A man was last night being questioned by police over the incident.
The incident happened just minutes after a crash in Latimer Road, Eastbourne involving a pedestrian. Two women were taken to hospital with minor injuries.
Call Sussex Police on 101.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Toyota Yaris driver who crashed with Jaguar on road outside Brighton dies of her injuries
- Man tries to lure school boy, 12, into car and other students have been targeted too
- Parking loophole allows parent to avoid fines by pulling up on a green
- £4m birthing centre will be a ‘home from home’
- Pensioner arrested for attempted murder of 43-year-old woman found with critical stab wounds