An elderly couple were injured after being hit by a motorbike in an apparent hit-and-run accident.
A man in his 80s was flown to Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton following the incident in Ashford Road, Eastbourne, near the entrance to Eastbourne Station yesterday (December 11).
The motorcycle rider involved in the crash fled from the scene.
The incident happened in Ashford Road at just after 12.45pm and it was initially feared that the man had suffered life-threatening injuries.
Police later confirmed although the pensioner’s injuries were serious they were not critical.
A woman in her 80s was taken to Eastbourne District General Hospital with serious injuries, while a middle-aged man was taken to the same hospital for treatment for shock.
A Yamaha motorcycle was left abandoned at the scene and the rider tried to escape the scene on foot.
Roads in the area were closed while the air ambulance landed close to the crash scene. A man was last night being questioned by police over the incident.
The incident happened just minutes after a crash in Latimer Road, Eastbourne involving a pedestrian. Two women were taken to hospital with minor injuries.
Call Sussex Police on 101.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Policeman left paralysed after accident while on holiday with young family
- Yummy steak and kidney pie is the best! Sussex farm shop scoops gold at awards ceremony
- Band bans all phones from their secret Brighton gig
- Couple set to break the record for oldest to marry when they tie the knot on his 103rd birthday
- Youngsters dance their way to the top of international contest