Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Contaminated fuel ends Sussex dad's hospital visits
3:10pm Wednesday 12th December 2012 in News
An 80-year-old has been left unable to visit his son in hospital after he unknowingly filled his car with contaminated fuel.
Kenneth Edwards’ 1990 Polo conked out days after he filled up from a petrol station in Newhaven.
After dropping the car off at his local mechanic, he read in The Argus about the suspected batch of contaminated fuel at the Texaco on Avis Way, Newhaven.
He checked his receipt to find that he had put nearly eight gallons in on the same day as others who had broken down.
He said: “There was no lead up, it just stopped dead.
“The RAC came out and did tests and concluded that it was full of contaminated fuel. I was on the way to visit my son in hospital in Eastbourne. Now I’m having to get the bus.
“For an older person it is just so convenient to have a car. I don’t know what I’m going to do.”
Mr Edwards went back to the Tate’s Fuel-run garage with his receipt only to be told that there was nothing they could do.
However, following a call from The Argus, Tate’s Fuel area manager, Rob Gochmanski, said he would contact Mr Edwards about the problem.
He added: “We sent off fuel samples for tests but the results were inconclusive.
“We are having further tests done to find out if the problems are linked to our fuel.”
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Fears man found dead in industrial estate 'skip' could have been accidentally crushed after getting in a bin
- Choccywoccydoodah counts cost of 'out of control' Brighton squat party
- Blonde-haired man on bike flashed at 12-year-old
- Police pay tribute to Community Support Officer who has stepped down after a 10 year career
- Man charged with shouting racist abuse at Asian shop staff
Comments are closed on this article.