A husband who died less than two weeks after being questioned over the death of his wife had been battling terminal cancer.
Inquests into the deaths of Frederick and Mary Saunders, of Court Farm Road, Hove, were opened and adjourned on Wednesday, December 12.
A post mortem on Mrs Saunders did not establish a cause of death and further forensic tests are being carried out.
The results are not expected for some weeks.
Mrs Saunders's nephew, Paul Sands, from Seaford, paid tribute to the couple in a statement on behalf of both families.
He said: “The close families of Fred and Mary Saunders would like to express their deep sadness and shock at the circumstances leading to their recent deaths.
“Fred had been battling against terminal cancer and as his health had deteriorated, Mary struggled with the thought of life without her husband of 52 happy years.
“They loved each other very much and were very close, none of us could have imagined that they would come to such a tragic end but we are pleased they are both now at peace."
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- British Airways i360 returns to Earth after becoming stuck
- Driver being hunted after Fiat Punto left abandoned after crashing into a CCTV mast
- Footage shows knifepoint robbery
- Girl, 17, left with serious injuries following two vehicle crash
- UPDATED: Woman injured in two vehicle accident on A23