TWO window cleaners had an eventful journey to work when their van burst into flames outside a school.
Jordan Murray and Steven Gumbrell stopped outside Cardinal Newman School in Hove on Monday morning when they smelt burning coming from the heater.
Soon flames began shooting through the heater ducts and into the cab.
The two window cleaners tried to battle the blaze with buckets of water from the back of their van but had to step back as the fire spread out of control.
Shocked children on their way to school watched as the front of the van was consumed by flame.
Mr Murray said: “We were quite shocked to say the least.
“We tried to fight it because we’re window cleaners and we had plenty of water, but we gave up after a while.
“We’re just lucky the fire didn’t spread to the engine or it could have been a lot worse.”
Firefighters soon extinguished the blaze but the van was completely destroyed.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Do you recognise this woman trying to buy £2500 in Euros using a fake bank card?
- Police in riot gear on the scene after man spotted with "weapon" outside his home
- Man undergoes reconstructive surgery after he is beaten up outside Mash Tun in Brighton
- Plain clothes police officers monitoring traveller encampments after residents complaints
- Illegal immigrant without driving licence jailed for killing cyclist