Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Fire in Upper Drive, Hove
8:57am Monday 17th December 2012 in News
TWO window cleaners had an eventful journey to work when their van burst into flames outside a school.
Jordan Murray and Steven Gumbrell stopped outside Cardinal Newman School in Hove on Monday morning when they smelt burning coming from the heater.
Soon flames began shooting through the heater ducts and into the cab.
The two window cleaners tried to battle the blaze with buckets of water from the back of their van but had to step back as the fire spread out of control.
Shocked children on their way to school watched as the front of the van was consumed by flame.
Mr Murray said: “We were quite shocked to say the least.
“We tried to fight it because we’re window cleaners and we had plenty of water, but we gave up after a while.
“We’re just lucky the fire didn’t spread to the engine or it could have been a lot worse.”
Firefighters soon extinguished the blaze but the van was completely destroyed.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Worthing teen died after doctors did not check for tumour, inquest hears
- Fire breaks out at historic Brighton flats
- Fears for father-of-two after car found at Beachy Head
- Fitting farewell for Eastbourne war veteran Robert Argyle as 100 strangers attend funeral
- Premier Inn plan for Lewes Magistrates' Court rejected for being out of character with town
Comments are closed on this article.