Report this comment
  • "
    PorkBoat wrote:
    I got battered by five "youths" once, no one gave a hoot, especially the police, who threatened to arrest ME, and dragged one of my friends into their van and battered him. They said "What do you expect in Brighton on a Saturday night? Now **** off home before we nick you". Not belittling this attack, but it happens to all sorts, straight, gay, whatever. Hope you both recover soon.
    Wow that is shocking! When I was about 19 I was started on near Brighton station, apparently I was accused of looking at someone the wrong way, someones girlfriend. I was jumped by about 5 men and beaten and bloodied. Nothing broken and fortunately I wasnt stabbed. I then decided to hit the weights to bulk up and since then nothing has happened. These people are complete cowards and will attack the weak in packs because they are not man enough to do it fair one on one. Brighton is dangerous at this time. I have never been attacked or approached since I was 19. I worry when my girfriend is out with her friends because I know what drunk, aggressive men are like. She is savvy but small and vulnerable. This is one of the reasons I rarely go out in central Brighton anymore until that time. I have seen many fights in clubs and on streets and they are not pleasant. Such a shame for these guys really. These thugs need a slight reason to set them off like a pack of feral dogs."
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.


  • Enter the above word in the box below

Brighton couple devastated by homophobic attack

The Argus: Tony Minion and Graham Munday of Brighton were victims of what is believed to be a homophobic assault Tony Minion and Graham Munday of Brighton were victims of what is believed to be a homophobic assault

A gang battered a gay couple in a “horrific” homophobic assault as they made their way home after a night out.

Graham Munday, 42, and his partner Tony Minion, 52, told how they were kicked and punched in the head by five youths as they walked hand in hand through Brighton in the early hours of Saturday morning (December 15).

The incident comes ten years after Mr Munday was left with a broken nose after a similar homophobic attack.

Speaking to The Argus, he said: “It was horrible. You don’t expect that kind of thing to happen any more, especially in Brighton.

“It’s been nearly ten years since I was first attacked and I thought that things had changed. I’m just devastated.”

The couple were making their way back to their Grove Hill flat, in Brighton, following a night out in Kemp Town.

At around 2.30am they walked past the Blind Tiger Club on Grand Parade when five youths approached them.

'Terrifying'

Mr Munday, whose voice was trembling as he relived the horrific attack, said: “They started shouting homophobic abuse at us.

“Then they started punching.

“It was just terrifying, there was nothing we could do.”

His partner, Mr Minion added: “There were too many of them and they just knocked me to the floor.

“I couldn’t get up and then they started kicking me in the back and the head.

“There was a group of people nearby who just stood there and did nothing, that’s the worst thing about it.”

Distressed

The couple dialled 999 and officers were on the scene in minutes.

The men are described as white, in their twenties and wearing casual clothes.

Bloodied and suffering from shock, the couple rushed to the safety of a nearby friend’s house.

Mike Nelson, 49, who was woken by the sound of the doorbell, opened the front door to see his pals in a terrible state.

He said: “They were both extremely distressed and had a number of cuts and bruises.

“I sat them down, patched them up and gave them a cup of tea.”

“Graham was attacked a few years ago and he’s just devastated that this has happened again.

“He isn’t someone who shows a lot of public affection so this will really knock his confidence.”

'Better education'

Mr Munday, who works in mediation, appeared on the front page of The Argus back in 2002 when he was set upon by a gang of youths just a couple of roads away on Ashton Rise.

On that occasion, the then 32-year-old was left with a broken nose and two black eyes.

He added: “It’s just really upsetting that this can still happen.

“I don’t think the law is a problem, that’s all in place. There needs to be better education for people like this.”

Police are investigating the incident and anyone who witnessed the attack or has any information should contact them on 101.

See the latest news headlines from The Argus:

More news from The Argus

Follow @brightonargus

The Argus: Daily Echo on Facebook - facebook.com/southerndailyecho Like us on Facebook

The Argus: Google+ Add us to your circles on Google+

Local Businesses

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree