The ArgusWarning over Brighton and Hove council tax hike plan (From The Argus)

Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.

Brighton and Hove council warned over tax hike plan

The Argus: Communities secretary Eric Pickles Communities secretary Eric Pickles

Eric Pickles is set to warn the Brighton and Hove City Council leader that he risks losing the next election if he presses ahead with planned council tax hikes.

The Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government issued the following warning signs that half of the country’s local authorities plan to raise council tax.

Last month Brighton and Hove City Council announced a planned 2% hike which will be decided on as part of next year’s budget.

Local government minister, Brandon Lewis MP, who works under Mr Pickles, said: “When costs are rising elsewhere the public won’t tolerate unnecessary tax increases.

“Councillors can either show they are helping people with the cost of living, or face explaining why they have snatched money away.”

See more stories about next year's budget debate and join in the reader's polls here: www.theargus.co.uk/news/indepth/brightonhovecounciltax/

See the latest news headlines from The Argus:

More news from The Argus

Follow @brightonargus

The Argus: Daily Echo on Facebook - facebook.com/southerndailyecho Like us on Facebook

The Argus: Google+ Add us to your circles on Google+

Comments (22)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:45pm Tue 18 Dec 12

NickBrt says...

Don't worry Mr Pickles, Jason will lose the next election because we're sick of him, not because YOU don't like his plans!
Don't worry Mr Pickles, Jason will lose the next election because we're sick of him, not because YOU don't like his plans! NickBrt
  • Score: 0

12:49pm Tue 18 Dec 12

Indigatio says...

If they do put it up and they do not get re-elected, it will be interesting to see if the new administration cancel the increase. Personally I doubt it. With some things, all politicians are the same. It would be great to get rid of the Greens though.
:-)
If they do put it up and they do not get re-elected, it will be interesting to see if the new administration cancel the increase. Personally I doubt it. With some things, all politicians are the same. It would be great to get rid of the Greens though. :-) Indigatio
  • Score: 0

1:09pm Tue 18 Dec 12

Bob_The_Ferret says...

Bring it on. Let's have the maximum rise possible.
Bring it on. Let's have the maximum rise possible. Bob_The_Ferret
  • Score: 0

1:26pm Tue 18 Dec 12

Sarah Booker Lewis says...

Comments were removed for containing insulting language. It is against the site terms and conditions to post anything abusive or malicious.
Comments were removed for containing insulting language. It is against the site terms and conditions to post anything abusive or malicious. Sarah Booker Lewis
  • Score: 0

1:33pm Tue 18 Dec 12

sbiscorrupt says...

Sarah Booker Lewis wrote:
Comments were removed for containing insulting language. It is against the site terms and conditions to post anything abusive or malicious.
Please provide proof of what insulting/abusive/ma
licious language was posted...
[quote][p][bold]Sarah Booker Lewis[/bold] wrote: Comments were removed for containing insulting language. It is against the site terms and conditions to post anything abusive or malicious.[/p][/quote]Please provide proof of what insulting/abusive/ma licious language was posted... sbiscorrupt
  • Score: 0

1:36pm Tue 18 Dec 12

heartthrob says...

Pickles has a point though. We are all struggling financially. Im sure the greens know the impact a 2% rise will have on families and apply it cautiously and at their peril
Pickles has a point though. We are all struggling financially. Im sure the greens know the impact a 2% rise will have on families and apply it cautiously and at their peril heartthrob
  • Score: 0

1:36pm Tue 18 Dec 12

Sarah Booker Lewis says...

sbiscorrupt wrote:
Sarah Booker Lewis wrote:
Comments were removed for containing insulting language. It is against the site terms and conditions to post anything abusive or malicious.
Please provide proof of what insulting/abusive/ma

licious language was posted...
Please check your email for the response.
[quote][p][bold]sbiscorrupt[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sarah Booker Lewis[/bold] wrote: Comments were removed for containing insulting language. It is against the site terms and conditions to post anything abusive or malicious.[/p][/quote]Please provide proof of what insulting/abusive/ma licious language was posted...[/p][/quote]Please check your email for the response. Sarah Booker Lewis
  • Score: 0

1:41pm Tue 18 Dec 12

sbiscorrupt says...

Sarah Booker Lewis wrote:
sbiscorrupt wrote:
Sarah Booker Lewis wrote:
Comments were removed for containing insulting language. It is against the site terms and conditions to post anything abusive or malicious.
Please provide proof of what insulting/abusive/ma


licious language was posted...
Please check your email for the response.
Not good enough...!

If you wish to have a public forum, your 'judgements' on what is acceptable or not should also be made public also!

Give your reasons in the open, and explain why you want to censor debate in a way that other media outlets don't!
[quote][p][bold]Sarah Booker Lewis[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sbiscorrupt[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sarah Booker Lewis[/bold] wrote: Comments were removed for containing insulting language. It is against the site terms and conditions to post anything abusive or malicious.[/p][/quote]Please provide proof of what insulting/abusive/ma licious language was posted...[/p][/quote]Please check your email for the response.[/p][/quote]Not good enough...! If you wish to have a public forum, your 'judgements' on what is acceptable or not should also be made public also! Give your reasons in the open, and explain why you want to censor debate in a way that other media outlets don't! sbiscorrupt
  • Score: 0

1:44pm Tue 18 Dec 12

Hoarder12345444 says...

Is it me or does Eric Pickles have the fattest face in Parliament?
Is it me or does Eric Pickles have the fattest face in Parliament? Hoarder12345444
  • Score: 0

1:44pm Tue 18 Dec 12

Sarah Booker Lewis says...

sbiscorrupt wrote:
Sarah Booker Lewis wrote:
sbiscorrupt wrote:
Sarah Booker Lewis wrote:
Comments were removed for containing insulting language. It is against the site terms and conditions to post anything abusive or malicious.
Please provide proof of what insulting/abusive/ma



licious language was posted...
Please check your email for the response.
Not good enough...!

If you wish to have a public forum, your 'judgements' on what is acceptable or not should also be made public also!

Give your reasons in the open, and explain why you want to censor debate in a way that other media outlets don't!
Your posts contained asterisked words and it was quite obvious this was abusive language. It caused offence.

Your posts would be acceptable if they did not contain abusive language. However, because they had these asterisked swear words and caused offence they were removed.
[quote][p][bold]sbiscorrupt[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sarah Booker Lewis[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sbiscorrupt[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sarah Booker Lewis[/bold] wrote: Comments were removed for containing insulting language. It is against the site terms and conditions to post anything abusive or malicious.[/p][/quote]Please provide proof of what insulting/abusive/ma licious language was posted...[/p][/quote]Please check your email for the response.[/p][/quote]Not good enough...! If you wish to have a public forum, your 'judgements' on what is acceptable or not should also be made public also! Give your reasons in the open, and explain why you want to censor debate in a way that other media outlets don't![/p][/quote]Your posts contained asterisked words and it was quite obvious this was abusive language. It caused offence. Your posts would be acceptable if they did not contain abusive language. However, because they had these asterisked swear words and caused offence they were removed. Sarah Booker Lewis
  • Score: 0

1:44pm Tue 18 Dec 12

sbiscorrupt says...

Hoarder12345444 wrote:
Is it me or does Eric Pickles have the fattest face in Parliament?
Watch out - Sarah Booker Lewis is about!
[quote][p][bold]Hoarder12345444[/bold] wrote: Is it me or does Eric Pickles have the fattest face in Parliament?[/p][/quote]Watch out - Sarah Booker Lewis is about! sbiscorrupt
  • Score: 0

1:50pm Tue 18 Dec 12

sbiscorrupt says...

Sarah Booker Lewis wrote:
sbiscorrupt wrote:
Sarah Booker Lewis wrote:
sbiscorrupt wrote:
Sarah Booker Lewis wrote:
Comments were removed for containing insulting language. It is against the site terms and conditions to post anything abusive or malicious.
Please provide proof of what insulting/abusive/ma




licious language was posted...
Please check your email for the response.
Not good enough...!

If you wish to have a public forum, your 'judgements' on what is acceptable or not should also be made public also!

Give your reasons in the open, and explain why you want to censor debate in a way that other media outlets don't!
Your posts contained asterisked words and it was quite obvious this was abusive language. It caused offence.

Your posts would be acceptable if they did not contain abusive language. However, because they had these asterisked swear words and caused offence they were removed.
So all 'asterisked' (sic?) words are 'forbidden' then?

I actually meant to say he was a plonker, but the argus filter said no!

Who's looking stupid now!
[quote][p][bold]Sarah Booker Lewis[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sbiscorrupt[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sarah Booker Lewis[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sbiscorrupt[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sarah Booker Lewis[/bold] wrote: Comments were removed for containing insulting language. It is against the site terms and conditions to post anything abusive or malicious.[/p][/quote]Please provide proof of what insulting/abusive/ma licious language was posted...[/p][/quote]Please check your email for the response.[/p][/quote]Not good enough...! If you wish to have a public forum, your 'judgements' on what is acceptable or not should also be made public also! Give your reasons in the open, and explain why you want to censor debate in a way that other media outlets don't![/p][/quote]Your posts contained asterisked words and it was quite obvious this was abusive language. It caused offence. Your posts would be acceptable if they did not contain abusive language. However, because they had these asterisked swear words and caused offence they were removed.[/p][/quote]So all 'asterisked' (sic?) words are 'forbidden' then? I actually meant to say he was a plonker, but the argus filter said no! Who's looking stupid now! sbiscorrupt
  • Score: 0

1:54pm Tue 18 Dec 12

Sarah Booker Lewis says...

sbiscorrupt wrote:
Sarah Booker Lewis wrote:
sbiscorrupt wrote:
Sarah Booker Lewis wrote:
sbiscorrupt wrote:
Sarah Booker Lewis wrote:
Comments were removed for containing insulting language. It is against the site terms and conditions to post anything abusive or malicious.
Please provide proof of what insulting/abusive/ma





licious language was posted...
Please check your email for the response.
Not good enough...!

If you wish to have a public forum, your 'judgements' on what is acceptable or not should also be made public also!

Give your reasons in the open, and explain why you want to censor debate in a way that other media outlets don't!
Your posts contained asterisked words and it was quite obvious this was abusive language. It caused offence.

Your posts would be acceptable if they did not contain abusive language. However, because they had these asterisked swear words and caused offence they were removed.
So all 'asterisked' (sic?) words are 'forbidden' then?

I actually meant to say he was a plonker, but the argus filter said no!

Who's looking stupid now!
By self censoring you made your language look far worse. As you can see from your post, 'plonker' is not a barred word.

We welcome robust debate from all areas of the political spectrum, but when swearing, malicious or abusive language is used or perceived by others, who go on to complain, post will be removed.
[quote][p][bold]sbiscorrupt[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sarah Booker Lewis[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sbiscorrupt[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sarah Booker Lewis[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sbiscorrupt[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sarah Booker Lewis[/bold] wrote: Comments were removed for containing insulting language. It is against the site terms and conditions to post anything abusive or malicious.[/p][/quote]Please provide proof of what insulting/abusive/ma licious language was posted...[/p][/quote]Please check your email for the response.[/p][/quote]Not good enough...! If you wish to have a public forum, your 'judgements' on what is acceptable or not should also be made public also! Give your reasons in the open, and explain why you want to censor debate in a way that other media outlets don't![/p][/quote]Your posts contained asterisked words and it was quite obvious this was abusive language. It caused offence. Your posts would be acceptable if they did not contain abusive language. However, because they had these asterisked swear words and caused offence they were removed.[/p][/quote]So all 'asterisked' (sic?) words are 'forbidden' then? I actually meant to say he was a plonker, but the argus filter said no! Who's looking stupid now![/p][/quote]By self censoring you made your language look far worse. As you can see from your post, 'plonker' is not a barred word. We welcome robust debate from all areas of the political spectrum, but when swearing, malicious or abusive language is used or perceived by others, who go on to complain, post will be removed. Sarah Booker Lewis
  • Score: 0

2:08pm Tue 18 Dec 12

Laserluke says...

Why did Eric Pickles say nothing about the fact that he has cut Brighton & Hove's budget more than any other city in the South East. If he was more fair then maybe would would have a freeze on council tax. Its a bit rich when ministers start lecturing to others they will be out of power when it looks like this government will be only in power for one term.
Why did Eric Pickles say nothing about the fact that he has cut Brighton & Hove's budget more than any other city in the South East. If he was more fair then maybe would would have a freeze on council tax. Its a bit rich when ministers start lecturing to others they will be out of power when it looks like this government will be only in power for one term. Laserluke
  • Score: 0

2:24pm Tue 18 Dec 12

Charismatic Andrew says...

Sarah Booker Lewis wrote:
sbiscorrupt wrote:
Sarah Booker Lewis wrote:
sbiscorrupt wrote:
Sarah Booker Lewis wrote:
sbiscorrupt wrote:
Sarah Booker Lewis wrote:
Comments were removed for containing insulting language. It is against the site terms and conditions to post anything abusive or malicious.
Please provide proof of what insulting/abusive/ma






licious language was posted...
Please check your email for the response.
Not good enough...!

If you wish to have a public forum, your 'judgements' on what is acceptable or not should also be made public also!

Give your reasons in the open, and explain why you want to censor debate in a way that other media outlets don't!
Your posts contained asterisked words and it was quite obvious this was abusive language. It caused offence.

Your posts would be acceptable if they did not contain abusive language. However, because they had these asterisked swear words and caused offence they were removed.
So all 'asterisked' (sic?) words are 'forbidden' then?

I actually meant to say he was a plonker, but the argus filter said no!

Who's looking stupid now!
By self censoring you made your language look far worse. As you can see from your post, 'plonker' is not a barred word.

We welcome robust debate from all areas of the political spectrum, but when swearing, malicious or abusive language is used or perceived by others, who go on to complain, post will be removed.
Good for you SaBoLe. Much more sensible and reasonable points than Jo Jobsworth.
[quote][p][bold]Sarah Booker Lewis[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sbiscorrupt[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sarah Booker Lewis[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sbiscorrupt[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sarah Booker Lewis[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sbiscorrupt[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sarah Booker Lewis[/bold] wrote: Comments were removed for containing insulting language. It is against the site terms and conditions to post anything abusive or malicious.[/p][/quote]Please provide proof of what insulting/abusive/ma licious language was posted...[/p][/quote]Please check your email for the response.[/p][/quote]Not good enough...! If you wish to have a public forum, your 'judgements' on what is acceptable or not should also be made public also! Give your reasons in the open, and explain why you want to censor debate in a way that other media outlets don't![/p][/quote]Your posts contained asterisked words and it was quite obvious this was abusive language. It caused offence. Your posts would be acceptable if they did not contain abusive language. However, because they had these asterisked swear words and caused offence they were removed.[/p][/quote]So all 'asterisked' (sic?) words are 'forbidden' then? I actually meant to say he was a plonker, but the argus filter said no! Who's looking stupid now![/p][/quote]By self censoring you made your language look far worse. As you can see from your post, 'plonker' is not a barred word. We welcome robust debate from all areas of the political spectrum, but when swearing, malicious or abusive language is used or perceived by others, who go on to complain, post will be removed.[/p][/quote]Good for you SaBoLe. Much more sensible and reasonable points than Jo Jobsworth. Charismatic Andrew
  • Score: 0

2:51pm Tue 18 Dec 12

AmboGuy says...

sbiscorrupt wrote:
Sarah Booker Lewis wrote:
sbiscorrupt wrote:
Sarah Booker Lewis wrote:
sbiscorrupt wrote:
Sarah Booker Lewis wrote:
Comments were removed for containing insulting language. It is against the site terms and conditions to post anything abusive or malicious.
Please provide proof of what insulting/abusive/ma





licious language was posted...
Please check your email for the response.
Not good enough...!

If you wish to have a public forum, your 'judgements' on what is acceptable or not should also be made public also!

Give your reasons in the open, and explain why you want to censor debate in a way that other media outlets don't!
Your posts contained asterisked words and it was quite obvious this was abusive language. It caused offence.

Your posts would be acceptable if they did not contain abusive language. However, because they had these asterisked swear words and caused offence they were removed.
So all 'asterisked' (sic?) words are 'forbidden' then?

I actually meant to say he was a plonker, but the argus filter said no!

Who's looking stupid now!
You are sbiscorrupt.

Most of what you say should be removed simply because it's all just inane drivel.
[quote][p][bold]sbiscorrupt[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sarah Booker Lewis[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sbiscorrupt[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sarah Booker Lewis[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sbiscorrupt[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sarah Booker Lewis[/bold] wrote: Comments were removed for containing insulting language. It is against the site terms and conditions to post anything abusive or malicious.[/p][/quote]Please provide proof of what insulting/abusive/ma licious language was posted...[/p][/quote]Please check your email for the response.[/p][/quote]Not good enough...! If you wish to have a public forum, your 'judgements' on what is acceptable or not should also be made public also! Give your reasons in the open, and explain why you want to censor debate in a way that other media outlets don't![/p][/quote]Your posts contained asterisked words and it was quite obvious this was abusive language. It caused offence. Your posts would be acceptable if they did not contain abusive language. However, because they had these asterisked swear words and caused offence they were removed.[/p][/quote]So all 'asterisked' (sic?) words are 'forbidden' then? I actually meant to say he was a plonker, but the argus filter said no! Who's looking stupid now![/p][/quote]You are sbiscorrupt. Most of what you say should be removed simply because it's all just inane drivel. AmboGuy
  • Score: 0

3:04pm Tue 18 Dec 12

sussexram40 says...

Who ate all the pies?
Who ate all the pies? sussexram40
  • Score: 0

3:36pm Tue 18 Dec 12

Fercri Sakes says...

The Tories risk losing the next election too as they continue to get the less wealthy to pay for the economic crisis while giving the higest earners a tax cut and letting big business off paying their share.
The Tories risk losing the next election too as they continue to get the less wealthy to pay for the economic crisis while giving the higest earners a tax cut and letting big business off paying their share. Fercri Sakes
  • Score: 0

7:45pm Tue 18 Dec 12

Maxwell's Ghost says...

Blue and Green should never be seen.
Blue and Green should never be seen. Maxwell's Ghost
  • Score: 0

9:35pm Tue 18 Dec 12

trystero says...

"Local government minister, Brandon Lewis MP, who works under Mr Pickles...."

Not, I would have thought, a comfortable place to work - given the pie-eating and that....
"Local government minister, Brandon Lewis MP, who works under Mr Pickles...." Not, I would have thought, a comfortable place to work - given the pie-eating and that.... trystero
  • Score: 0

11:39am Wed 19 Dec 12

Fairfax Sakes says...

Lol Jason you’re out on your @ss the second the next election comes along, and you know it. Best make hay while the sun shines and everyone else hold on for the ride!
Lol Jason you’re out on your @ss the second the next election comes along, and you know it. Best make hay while the sun shines and everyone else hold on for the ride! Fairfax Sakes
  • Score: 0

4:55pm Thu 20 Dec 12

Fercri Sakes says...

Maxwell's Ghost wrote:
Blue and Green should never be seen.
Blue or Red? No, Green instead!
[quote][p][bold]Maxwell's Ghost[/bold] wrote: Blue and Green should never be seen.[/p][/quote]Blue or Red? No, Green instead! Fercri Sakes
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree